Thread: Roster help

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Roster help

I need to drop one player from my keeper team in my sig below, who would you drop?
    12 team points only keeper (G = 1, A = 1, W = 2, SO = 2)
    Dress 6 forwards, 4 defensemen, 2 goalies, weekly starts
    Roster limit - 20 plus 4 prospects

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'd say probably Yakupov. The other members on your team are pretty good.

Dobber Sports Icon

Tough call but I'd go with Yakupov too.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Not easy but I would go with Drouin. Not sure I understand the setup in your league. Did u trade urself to Drouin and yak? Or did u finish last two years running? Im guessing u do not have a farm so if Drouin plays 6 games and is send down u will have to drop him? Ive seen him at camp and he looks deadly so he will make the team but I dont think he will outscore Yak next year.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Yakupov is your best long term goal scorer and maybe will be even this season too. Drouin has way too much upside to drop. With this format scoring forwards are very valuable. The only people you can consider dropping are Yandle,Byf,Niemi. It has to be one of those 3. The final decision needs to come down to if you feel it would be easier to draft a solid dman or goalie. It would be a very big mistake to drop any of your forwards and I think you would badly regret it. Possibly not for a few seasons but possibly only a few months into this NHL season.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Your team is built to win THIS year.
    That means your drop is a kid... either Yakupov or Drouin.

In a 6F/4D set-up, defensemen have solid value. I'd definitely keep all three.
    In a 12-team league, you establish a baseline value based on waiver-wire players.

The #72F (12x6F) will score about 54pts.
    The #48D (12x4D) will score about 27pts.
    Yandle, Letang, and Buff all have 55pt potential... making them a +28pt value above a waiver-wire-D.
    Yakupov or Drouin would have to have 82pt potential (FOR THIS YEAR)... to equate them to a +28pt value above a waiver-wire F. That ain't happening.

Oh... this is tough... I'd drop... Yakupov.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; July 22, 2013 at 10:06 AM.

Dobber Sports Stud

I would drop Yak!
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Veteran

What's wrong with all of you people? This is a keeper format. Think aboout those top 6 forwards 2-3 years from now and like 8 years from now. Having 5 forwards that good with Crosby is just going to make the production unbeatable. What an advantage it would be in a league to get like 500 points from these 5 forwards. I think a team like that would run the league for years. Also he'll have more trade equity keeping them. Idk how people don't love Yak in a keeper scoring format. Truly crazy to me

Dobber Sports Guru

As tough as it is I would drop one of Yakupov or Drouin. Your team is already stacked nicely and you simply shouldnt be keeping unproven guys over the high-end proven guys you already have. It sucks but I think I would agree with the others and drop Yakupov but I wouldnt blame you for dropping Drouin instead.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

In a 12-team league, you establish a baseline value based on waiver-wire players.

Yandle, Letang, and Buff all have 55pt potential... making them a +28pt value above a waiver-wire-D.
    Yakupov or Drouin would have to have 82pt potential (FOR THIS YEAR)... to equate them to a +28pt value above a waiver-wire F. That ain't happening.

Great post,and I agree entirely. But I'd drop Drouin, not Yakupov, too much of an offensive powerhouse brewing in Edmonton to let go Yak.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Mattp913 View Post
    What's wrong with all of you people? This is a keeper format. Think aboout those top 6 forwards 2-3 years from now and like 8 years from now. Having 5 forwards that good with Crosby is just going to make the production unbeatable. What an advantage it would be in a league to get like 500 points from these 5 forwards. I think a team like that would run the league for years. Also he'll have more trade equity keeping them. Idk how people don't love Yak in a keeper scoring format. Truly crazy to me

Matt, trust me on this, he is going to win championships because of that deadly Letang, Byf, Yandle combination more than he will because of a great, young 6th forward. Each team plays 4D and 6F, that's a HUGE advantage for teams with excellent point-producing Dmen, especially given that this is a 12-team league. He's got more than enough firepower at forward to compete with other teams (Malkin, Crosby AND Backstrom?!!), and that's all he has to do at the forward position, be competitive, because he's going to be squishing other teams with those 3 Dmen. Would be a huge mistake not to drop Drouin or Yakupov, as good as they'll be, and instead drop a Dman.

With respect, you're focusing way too much on how good Drouin and Yak will be during their career. Most fantasy GMs really should be focusing on whether they can win in a 3-4 year window, and not even think beyond that, which militates even more in favor of dropping one of the youngsters.

Same reasoning applies to the goalies, they start two goalies and it's a huge advantage to have two solid starting goalies on good teams, next to his Dmen that's the 2nd factor that will be winning him championships, so I wouldn't drop Niemi.
    Last edited by ross10019; July 22, 2013 at 12:01 PM.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

Great way to look at it!
    12 team points only keeper (G = 1, A = 1, W = 2, SO = 2)
    Dress 6 forwards, 4 defensemen, 2 goalies, weekly starts
    Roster limit - 20 plus 4 prospects