Thread: Rask vs Lundqvist

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Rask vs Lundqvist

I'm trying to determine who the top keeper goalies are these days. Historically its been Lundqvist, Quick & Rinne as most people's top 3. I'm trying to see how high Rask has climbed into the equation and if he's now into the top 3, and if so, how far behind King Henrik?

Thx boys

Dobber Sports Expert

Rask is top 6 but still far behind Lundqvist!

Dobber Sports Stud

Lundqvist > Rask > everyone else IMO
    14 team Fantrax H2H keeper league
    G, A, P, SOG, Hits, Blocks, FOW, - W, Gaa, Sv%, Svs

C - Crosby, Tavares, Kopitar, Toews
    LW - Hall, Giroux(C), Vrana, Gaudreau
    RW - Pastrnak, Kane, Stamkos(C), Kubalik
    D - Burns, Murphy, Morrisey, Cernak, Whitecloud, Chiarot
    G - Mrazek, Campbell, Brossoit, Greiss
    Bench - Middlestat, Wennberg, Perron, Olofsson, Schwartz, Atkinson, Yama

Dobber Sports Veteran

Lundqvist is simply more proven, but the ceiling between the two may be negligible. I'd rank them as nearly equal long term, with Henrik having a slight edge.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Genius

I'd still prefer Lundy, but Rask is definitely a top 5 guy in the conversation with Quick/Price/Rinne now.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Sakic19 View Post
    I'm trying to determine who the top keeper goalies are these days. Historically its been Lundqvist, Quick & Rinne as most people's top 3. I'm trying to see how high Rask has climbed into the equation and if he's now into the top 3, and if so, how far behind King Henrik?

Thx boys
    I think it really comes down to stat cats. In my points only league, I wouldn't trade my Rask for Lundy. But if your league counts ratios, I don't think anyone has passed Lundy yet. My top three in general are Lundy, Rask, and Quick. Rinne and Price are just a tier down from them, mainly because their teams don't have the defense to assist their numbers.

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

Dobber Sports Prodigy

league counts W, GAA, SVs & SO

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I am in the minority but given your stats I am taking Rask. Same coaching staff, so the defensive system is staying the same in front of him, young and was flat out awesome in the playoffs.

Dobber Sports Icon

With your stat categories it's very close and Rask is a very close 2nd to Lundqvist, but he's still 2nd. Why?

- You have to consider the 5-year age difference, but Lundqvist's compete level and commitment to fitness will have him giving you elite production for 7+ more years, and for most fantasy owners that tends to negate to some extent the difference in age.

- Both play for teams that will (a) spend to the cap and (b) are in good shape to be at the top of their conferences over the next 5 years or so. An advantage for Rask here (Boston is in such great shape in terms of depth at D and fwd, and will be a powerhouse for years) but not a giant one.

- It comes down to consistency NOTWITHSTANDING the team in front of the goalie. Lundqvist has proven that, no matter what the situation is with the team in front of him, notwithstanding a team with poor depth or lack of quality blueliners or a team beset by injuries, he will perform and give you numbers. And he's a workhorse who hates to sit, but he realized after last year that sitting here and there will actually help him improve on his numbers. You can't buy that stand-alone greatness and consistency - it is, after all, consistent solid numbers that win you fantasy championships more than anything, I can tell you that was the case for my fantasy playoffs last year, Lundqvist was easily the Conn Smythe winner in my books.

So for me it's Lundqvist, with Rask close behind, for the next 3-5 years at least. After that, I agree with others on this thread that it's:

- Quick (great team, super competitor, he's a close 3rd)
    - Price (Montreal will in a couple of years be a true contender which will boost his numbers significantly)
    - Rinne (fantastic tender, but will always tend to be hamstrung by a cap-challenged situation in Nashville albeit it with a great management team always tending to keep it competitive)

Great thread! Cage match material for sure...
    Last edited by ross10019; July 21, 2013 at 9:38 AM.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    With your stat categories it's very close and Rask is a very close 2nd to Lundqvist, but he's still 2nd. Why?

- You have to consider the 5-year age difference, but Lundqvist's compete level and commitment to fitness will have him giving you elite production for 7+ more years, and for most fantasy owners that tends to negate to some extent the difference in age.

- Both play for teams that will (a) spend to the cap and (b) are in good shape to be at the top of their conferences over the next 5 years or so. An advantage for Rask here (Boston is in such great shape in terms of depth at D and fwd, and will be a powerhouse for years) but not a giant one.

- It comes down to consistency NOTWITHSTANDING the team in front of the goalie. Lundqvist has proven that, no matter what the situation is with the team in front of him, notwithstanding a team with poor depth or lack of quality blueliners or a team beset by injuries, he will perform and give you numbers. And he's a workhorse who hates to sit, but he realized after last year that sitting here and there will actually help him improve on his numbers. You can't buy that stand-alone greatness and consistency - it is, after all, consistent solid numbers that win you fantasy championships more than anything, I can tell you that was the case for my fantasy playoffs last year, Lundqvist was easily the Conn Smythe winner in my books.

So for me it's Lundqvist, with Rask close behind, for the next 3-5 years at least. After that, I agree with others on this thread that it's:

- Quick (great team, super competitor, he's a close 3rd)
    - Price (Montreal will in a couple of years be a true contender which will boost his numbers significantly)
    - Rinne (fantastic tender, but will always tend to be hamstrung by a cap-challenged situation in Nashville albeit it with a great management team always tending to keep it competitive)

Great thread! Cage match material for sure...
    agree with ross here, it close..very close, but Lundy is still the man. is he top three in teh league maybe not but top 5 i think.

is there a way to trade him if you cannot keep him?
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW)
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-
    NTP - Leonard, Perrault

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Great arguments so far boys, any others? keep em coming...and sure turn this into a cage match, that's be a fun extension of this thread.

My belief (and perhaps biased as Rask owner), is that he is very close to top 3, if not there right now. Im not sure hes cemented himself there but its getting closer. I dont feel that Lundqvist's perch atop ANYBODY's top 3 is being threatened, but the gap is closing.

thanks again dobber community, your input is always appreciated.
    Rask owner.
    Last edited by Joe_Sakic19; July 22, 2013 at 12:12 PM.

Dobber Sports Sage

I prefer Rask. I think he is the best goalie in the world now but I understand people preferring Lundy
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Wizard

This comes down to a case of trusting the proven player. While fully acknowledging Rask may very well post better numbers than Lundy, I'm still going with The King. He's been in his own personal tier for so long I just feel more confident taking him.

I do think Rask has passed Quick for the #2 spot though.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Most will say Lundqvist just because he's been set for the number one for so long but I have to say Rask. They both have similar talent level, they both have only played for one team for their NHL careers, and they post similar elite numbers. Differences are that Rask is much younger and on a much better team historically at least and on paper.

Can't lose with either but I really don't see a reason for choosing Lundqvist here except for going with the safest bet.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Tier I fantasy goalies: Lundqvist & Rask.
    I think they are very close to even.
    I'd take the veteran, Lundqvist, only for the experience.
    I'd be OK with either though.