Thread: Rebound players: low sh% + low PDO

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Rebound players: low sh% + low PDO

Often times a player will suffer a particularly unlucky or just plain bad season. PDO can help with some of the luck part, and shooting percentage generally will regress to the players average (if we have enough of a sample size).

I'm using this to look for players who are due for bounce back years.

Ex. Zach Parise - 9.9% this year vs 11.3% career, PDO of 974 this year vs 1029/1014 in his best 2 seasons. This suggests that one could expect more like a 35-40 goal year than the 30 goal pace he was on.

Thoughts? Other examples?

Edit: check behindthenet.ca for data on PDO
    Last edited by znith; July 19, 2013 at 10:24 PM.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Although not much of a sample size, I would expect Nugent-Hopkins to shot better then the 5.1% he shot last year vs. 13.4% he shot in his rookie season. Guys like Thornton and H. Sedin shoot in the 12% range.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

The fantasy guide throws out a list of high PDO players expected to regress and low PDO players expected to rebound, out in about two weeks. (No I am not a writer, but it's seriously worth the purchase price)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by agoodburn View Post
    Although not much of a sample size, I would expect Nugent-Hopkins to shot better then the 5.1% he shot last year vs. 13.4% he shot in his rookie season. Guys like Thornton and H. Sedin shoot in the 12% range.
    Yup could definitely see that. Even average forwards are no where near 5%, much less good players.

Also didn't know that the dobber guide had that. I might have to check it out. For now we can talk here.

Dobber Sports Ace

Then there is Voracek... If I remember right, he has shot 16%.... But had a 960 PDO...
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Drew Shore had a S% of 3% and a PDO of .944 (5v5 ES), I'd look for that to climb given more opportunity.
    Silfverberg had a S% of 7.5 but a PDO of 1.017 (5v5 ES) - his linemates shot 6.71 5v5, so if he does in fact play with Getz & Perry I'd expect that to jump to Getz' 10%
    12-man salary cap roto keeper league, 25 roster spots & 8 farm (12 F, 6D, 2G active - max 82GP/spot) - 83M cap, real AAV - G/A/P/PPP/SOGs/Hits/PIM W/GAA/SO
    F: Giroux, Little, Steen, Downie, Perron, Hudler, Bouma, Rinaldo, BSchenn, MKarlsson, Nelson, Spooner, Pastrnak, Bjorkstrand, Panarin
    D: Markov, Sekera, Klingberg, Boychuk, Brodie, Karlsson, Reilly
    G: Miller, Howard, Mrazek
    Farm: Petan, Hellebuyck, Goldobin, Werenski, Beauvillier, DeBrusk, Rychel, Kyle Connor

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Rebound players: low sh% + low PDO

Quote Originally Posted by znith View Post
    Often times a player will suffer a particularly unlucky or just plain bad season. PDO can help with some of the luck part, and shooting percentage generally will regress to the players average (if we have enough of a sample size).

I'm using this to look for players who are due for bounce back years.

Ex. Zach Parise - 9.9% this year vs 11.3% career, PDO of 974 this year vs 1029/1014 in his best 2 seasons. This suggests that one could expect more like a 35-40 goal year than the 30 goal pace he was on.

Thoughts? Other examples?

Edit: check behindthenet.ca for data on PDO
    Nothing better to do on a Sunday evening. Parise had 10.8% S%, little below his average with almost perfect PDO. Prorated, you're looking at about 36 goals, which is spot on the analysis.

I like the fact that three of keepers ( ovechkin, byfuglien and yakupov ) have had very poor PDO while posting little above 3 year S% ... And still won the championship.

Im definitely looking into that this summer.