Thread: Keeper Advice - Schneider, Markstrom or Other

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Keeper Advice - Schneider, Markstrom or Other

So I had it all figured out. Luongo was going to be traded and Schneider would be an easy top 10 goalie this year.....

With the trade to NJ, Schneider will again in a 1a/1b situation this year, I'm not sure what to do. As a contending team, I don't want to be burdened with the 1a/1b situation. In our league we start 2 goalies. Schneider or Markstrom will be my #2. In this limited keeper, I will draft a #1 in the first round, most likely to be a Fleury, Luongo, Howard, Ward, Miller, Price type goalie. Note: in our league, round drafted determines salary and salary dictates the round held for holds. High salary players require forfeiture of a high round pick/hold so many good player become available each year.

These are my options:

1. Hold Schneider, be burdened with 1a/1b for a year, then be in good shape.
    2. Trade Schneider plus a non-hold (Silfverberg) for Seguin (potentially). Hold Markstrom and be prepared for growing pains.
    3. Trade for Bobrovsky, none of my core players would be dealt.
    4. Hold no goalies, draft two early on.

Please help.
    [size=1]13 Team Keeper - Hold 10 (1 G max) - Hold salary dictates draft pick forfeited
    Scoring Cats (Equally Weighted): G,A,+/-,PIM,Hits,Blks,W,GAA,SV%
    Start 9F,5D,2G
    F: M.Tkachuk,B.Tkachuk,Svechnikov,Meier,J.Hughes,McTa vish,Jarvis,Johnston, Keller,Tuch,Crouse,Knies
    D: Heiskanen,LeTang,Sergachev,Power,Trouba,Provorov,M intyukov
    G: Helleybuck,Vasilevskiy,Jarry,Kochetkov

Dobber Sports Initiate

Depending on the price Bobrovsky is probably your best option here. He is a solid number 1 goalie on an improving team. If he can be had for a reasonalbe price I would trade for him and draft another #1 goalie in the first round.
    Evgeni from the Bloc
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 10
    Daily Starts: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G

G,A,+/-,PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Tavares, Malkin, Johansen, Couture
    LW: Schenn (C), Kreider, Skinner, Kane
    RW: [B]Kucherov, Seguin (C), Wheeler, REinhart (C), Ehlers (LW)
    D: Byfuglien, Provorov, Giordano, de Haan, Phaneuf
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Saros

2017 Picks: 1,2,3,5,6,6,7,8,9,10,11

Dobber Sports Expert

Schneider should see 50%-60% of starts.

MArkstrom will have growing pains, and I am not confident that Fla won't rent a G for the year to help him out.

I would trade for Bob (and hold onto Schneider). Bob should start most games and given his experience, is a safer bet for success this year than Markstrom.
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    IMO, your team doesn't look good enough to contend for a win.

I'd do your best to build for next year. This means, hold Schneider.
    Grab the best goalie available in the 1st round and trade him during the regular season to a contender in a trade that lands you a good player that doesn't "cost" you in future draft pick value.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    So I had it all figured out. Luongo was going to be traded and Schneider would be an easy top 10 goalie this year.....

With the trade to NJ, Schneider will again in a 1a/1b situation this year, I'm not sure what to do. As a contending team, I don't want to be burdened with the 1a/1b situation. In our league we start 2 goalies. Schneider or Markstrom will be my #2. In this limited keeper, I will draft a #1 in the first round, most likely to be a Fleury, Luongo, Howard, Ward, Miller, Price type goalie. Note: in our league, round drafted determines salary and salary dictates the round held for holds. High salary players require forfeiture of a high round pick/hold so many good player become available each year.

These are my options:

2. Trade Schneider plus a non-hold (Silfverberg) for Seguin (potentially). Hold Markstrom and be prepared for growing pains.
    3. Trade for Bobrovsky, none of my core players would be dealt.
    4. Hold no goalies, draft two early on.

Please help.
    Hold onto Schneider and go for Bob. He should provide solid value this year as you await the knighting of Schneider. The TSN panel said Brodeur should see 60% of the season, baring injury.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Wizard

22 back to backs for the Devils this coming season as a comparison the Isles have 17 and the Rangers have 12

the last part is obviously great news for Lundqvist owners, but the first part is great news for Schneider owners

good old uncle lou probably doesn't have the heart to tell Brodeur that he needs to play fewer games going forward so he gets the league to set up a schedule which forces the issue

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    22 back to backs for the Devils this coming season as a comparison the Isles have 17 and the Rangers have 12
    Damn... that was fast!
    How'd you do that?

Do you have a tool you aren't telling us about?
    Or did you manually count them?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Damn... that was fast!
    How'd you do that?

Do you have a tool you aren't telling us about?
    Or did you manually count them?
    Larry Brooks counted them for me

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie 1h

Rangers have 12 back-to-backs, Islanders have 17, Devils play 22...22!

or someone counted them for Larry and he tweeted it

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Question

To provide clarity, I can only keep 1 goalie. In addition, my team will also contend. I generally keep players that offer excellent value based upon hold position, then draft good players that were not held due to salary. The formula works. In 10 years I've won 4 times and never finished lower than 4th.

Thanks for the input....keep it coming. This goalie situation is bugging me.
    [size=1]13 Team Keeper - Hold 10 (1 G max) - Hold salary dictates draft pick forfeited
    Scoring Cats (Equally Weighted): G,A,+/-,PIM,Hits,Blks,W,GAA,SV%
    Start 9F,5D,2G
    F: M.Tkachuk,B.Tkachuk,Svechnikov,Meier,J.Hughes,McTa vish,Jarvis,Johnston, Keller,Tuch,Crouse,Knies
    D: Heiskanen,LeTang,Sergachev,Power,Trouba,Provorov,M intyukov
    G: Helleybuck,Vasilevskiy,Jarry,Kochetkov

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Hold onto Schneider, wait for Brodeur to get his elbow injury, and reap the benefits of Schneider playing for a defense first system.
    Keeper League; 30 man roster, top 12 forwards, top 6 defensemen and top 1 goalie count, pts only.

F: JVR, Okposo, Brassard, Steen, Wilson, C. Wilson, Hagelin, Matthews, Puljujarvi, Meier, Goldobin, Fabbri, Barbashev, Schmaltz, Gurianov, Dickinson, Rantanen, Milano, Bjorkstrand, Zacha, Bracco, DeBrusk, Griffith

D: Werenski, C. Miller, C. Murphy, DeAngelo, J. Morrow, Edler

G: Fleury, Elliott, Niemi, M.Smith, Ward, Pavalec

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I would go with Option 2. As long as you can get a quality Goalie early to temper Markstroms growing pains, adding a guy like Seguin is an added bonus. I'm not convinced that Schneider can maintain his numbers in NJ, I see a drop off in SV% and an increase in GAA. I still think he will be an elite starter, but Markstrom should be as well.