Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bobrovsky - Sell High?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Bobrovsky - Sell High?

This is for a 16-team Dynasty league.

Is Bobrovsky a sell high candidate? Or can he come close to the season that he had last year? Thanks

Dobber Sports Giant

He's definitely a sell-high option if someone is buying him as a tier-1 goaltender. Don't get me wrong, he's certainly legit as he just won the Vezina, and his time in Philadelphia wasn't even really bad, so he's got a pretty solid track record. But the rub with Bob is that he doesn't really have a long track record (114 NHL starts).

I'd say we can value him as a reasonably safe #1 (30+ wins, 2.5 GAA .915+ w/ upside) who is young, but just doesn't have enough history to be valued as a top-5 goaltender. If someone is paying that price, I wouldn't be passing it up. Don't sell short on Bobrovsky just to move him, but if the return is on par with what a top-5 option would fetch in your league, do it.

Cheers.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Expert

Well if sell high means you are gettimg Lundqvist, Rask, Rinne, Quick or Price iīd do it in a second.

If we are talking about Luongo, Ward, Schneider, Miller or Howard or Crawford it really depends on whom you are getting on top.

In general i think Bobīs value next summer will be lower than it is right now

Dobber Sports Ninja

I think it would be pretty unreasonable to expect him to match or even come close to next years numbers..and that's not a knock on him, it's just because his numbers last year were insane.

I like what mounD and Dennis have said above.

The Wolverine

I think the difficulty is that many managers are likely hesitant with him, given his relative inexperience and quick rise to elite production.

Has anyone approached you about his services? If so, then this is a good opportunity to see how others value him and a deal might be worth considering. If not, I wouldn't actively shop him as it creates the perception that you are trying to sell high, and that could lead to lower offers then you like. Maybe, maybe not, but sometimes that happens.

In the end, you might have to just hold onto him and hope he can start off well next season, and then perhaps you'll have a better sense of his value.

But as others suggested, don't give him away even if you feel he'll regress (even just a bit).

Dobber Sports Wizard

how many goalies are you starting in this league

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis4022 View Post
    Well if sell high means you are gettimg Lundqvist, Rask, Rinne, Quick or Price iīd do it in a second.

If we are talking about Luongo, Ward, Schneider, Miller or Howard or Crawford it really depends on whom you are getting on top.

In general i think Bobīs value next summer will be lower than it is right now
    I agree with this quite a bit. However, I find it funny how far up Rask has jumped. Even though him and Bob has had similar number of games played. HA. But I guess he was touted as a good prospect for awhile now so.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyProphet View Post
    I agree with this quite a bit. However, I find it funny how far up Rask has jumped. Even though him and Bob has had similar number of games played. HA. But I guess he was touted as a good prospect for awhile now so.
    Well Rask played 173 games which is more than the 128 Bobrovsky played, heīs on the better team and played really great in this yearīs play-offs. All reasons to take him over Bob.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Last year, Bobrovsky was:
    *Making only a little bit of money
    *Playing on a team with zero expectations
    *Playing against ONLY Western Conference Opponents

This year, Bobrovsky will be:
    *Making a ton of money
    *Playing with high expectations
    *Playing in a division with PIT,PHI,NYR,WAS...

He's a good goalie, but he could also fall apart the same way Steve Mason did in his follow-up seasons to that one gem season. Let's not forgot that while Bob was in Philadelphia he didn't even outperform Boucher or Bryzgalov.

I would definitely sell high.
    But if it's a 16-team DYNASTY... you HAVE to get another goalie back.

I would be happy getting Luongo/Niemi/Lehtonen straight-up for him.
    I would even take Pavelec++ or Dubnyk++ for him.

Dobber Sports Genius

Well, in many NHL Fantasy formats last year Bob was the highest scoring goaltender in the NHL. Columbus was not near the top of the standings. Therefore, it's reasonable to assume that Bob will have difficulty having as much impact in 2014 as he did in 2013. Oh yeah, he won an NHL trophy too... I don't think Vezina's come along every day. Think a little bit about that trophy though. It's pretty tricky to get your name on there and he's young.

He certainly doesn't get the respect that a Lundy, Rinne, Quick, Rask, Price... gets in Fantasy.

Where does he peg in?

I think it's reasonable to think he'll be a full blown starter in Columbus again next year. It's reasonable to wonder that Columbus will stay in the hunt for a playoff spot until later in the year. I still don't believe they're a playoff team though.

Is it bad to have a tender on your roster like Bob? It's not bad to have a Bob in my opinion! It's fair to wonder if he'll establish himself in everyones mind as a consistent points producer. He's certainly taken the step in getting himself in position.

Bob, Holtby, Anderson, Smith, Dubnyk, Pavelec, Lehtonen, Niemi... all struggle to get the same respect, as what we consider elite. Crawford too.

I don't think I'd trade Bob for the sake of trading him. Careful what extra you have to give up to get one of the 'proven' guys. Selling high... well that means he's not going to be a 90 or 100 point goaltender. He may very well be that again. There's not too much competition for the job. He's in a good spot and they like him! Another solid season and his value solidifies.

There certainly is a lot of parity in the NHL.

Thanks for all the replies.

The cats we count are W, GAA, SV% and Shutouts.

We start one goalie, daily roster changes.

My only pro goalies are Schneider and Bob, but I have a few nice ones on the farm (which are a couple years away).

I have not been approached with any inquiries yet, but just putting it out there now if I do get any during our prospect draft.

Thanks again everyone for the replies, the help is appreciated.

Dobber Sports Wizard

ok so Bob is your only starter

yeah you are going to need to get another starter back if you move him imo

and I don't have a problem with selling Bob high but just make sure you are actually selling him high if you choose to do so

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    ok so Bob is your only starter

yeah you are going to need to get another starter back if you move him imo

and I don't have a problem with selling Bob high but just make sure you are actually selling him high if you choose to do so
    thank you.

Dobber Sports Icon

I currently have Niemi and Bobrovsky on my 30 team NHL salary cap (using NHL cap hits) dynasty league. Weekly lineup but no goalie can start for more than 84% of the weeks in any one season. Goaltender stats are Wins, GAA, SV%, SO. Which goalie should I keep and which should I move?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Depends on what you need in a goalie and what offers you can get. Obviously if you get a blow-away offer you take it, but otherwise if you need a goalie who will put up good to great save percentages but not get a lot of wins then Bob is your man. Plus some would argue he's on a team that either is up-and-coming or will be soon.

As a Philly fan who saw him play with us I'm extremely confident in his athleticism and abilities.