Thread: Goalie Offers! Opinions Please!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Goalie Offers! Opinions Please!

Fielding offers for goalies, as I can't ride Mike Smith for the entire upcoming season. There are nearly no goalies in the waiver draft. So far I've received the following offers. I'd like to get some thoughts/opinions on value.

Luongo for B. Ryan

Bobrovsky for Kopitar
    12 Team H2H 10 Keeper league. (G)(A)(+/-)(PIM)(PPP)(SHP)(GWG)(SOG)GOALIE(W)(GAA)(SV%)(SHO) . 19 Man Roster w/ 19 Man Farm. A. Kopitar, R. O'Reilly, J. Voracek, B. Ryan, C. Hodgson, J. Carlson, B. Burns, C. Fowler, B. Bishop, M. Smith

Dobber Sports Superstar

A little out of my element but I'll take a shot. I really like Luongo for B. Ryan for you. I have been pumping Luongo's tires hard ever since the Schneider trade and I expect him to be back with a vengence this year and onwards.

Luongo has never been a bad regular season goalie in fact he's been a top-5 one for a long time, he's 34 and has 4-6 good years left, he will get 65+ starts going forward on a team that will be well above average for the next several years. B. Ryan is a quality goal scorer who is still young so he hurts to lose but I think Luongo is a great buy-low right now with comments about him "contemplaing his future". Half way through the season when Luongo is on his game and everyone forgets that Schneider played in Vancouver Luongo's stock will soar.

Bobrovsky for Kopitar seems like an overpay. Bobrovsky is coming off a Vezina season and I expect him to be good going forward but he's still probably at an all-time high. I prefer Luongo to Bobrovsky and I prefer Kopitar to B. Ryan so given the 2 trades available taking the Luongo one is an easy pick for me.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Demi-God

In H2H, you can survive with crappy goalies.

There is an 8/4 category split and you can make playoffs based simply on the strength of your skaters. I would stay with them. Your forward group isn't incredible strong.. but it's decent. However, if you trade one key player (Kopitar or B.Ryan), I think you start consistently losing several offensive categories and there is no guarantee that your added goalie will churn out positive enough stats to win goalie cats.

I'd say "pass" on both offers.
    I know it looks bare on goalies... but goalies pop up EVERY year.

Lots of teams won their leagues last year with Brian Elliott or Bobrovsky in their H2H playoff line-ups and those guys were on NOBODY's radar in mid-February.

The season is long... goalie values will go up & down.
    Don't overpay for a goalie right now... even if there is nothing on the waiver wire.

Dobber Sports Giant

id take the luongo trade and laugh at the bob trade.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'm personally thinking pass on both of them at the moment.. I could get by picking up a goalie splitting time somewhere (assuming Mike Smith doesn't get injured for an extended amount of time).
    12 Team H2H 10 Keeper league. (G)(A)(+/-)(PIM)(PPP)(SHP)(GWG)(SOG)GOALIE(W)(GAA)(SV%)(SHO) . 19 Man Roster w/ 19 Man Farm. A. Kopitar, R. O'Reilly, J. Voracek, B. Ryan, C. Hodgson, J. Carlson, B. Burns, C. Fowler, B. Bishop, M. Smith

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Any more opinions on Ryan/Luongo?

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by hockeystar3712 View Post
    Fielding offers for goalies, as I can't ride Mike Smith for the entire upcoming season. There are nearly no goalies in the waiver draft. So far I've received the following offers. I'd like to get some thoughts/opinions on value.

Luongo for B. Ryan

Bobrovsky for Kopitar
    Dumb question, but why can't you ride Smith the whole year?? Am I missing something here. He's a good starter.

I'd keep both ryan and kopitar for now. But of the two, ryan for luo seems fair. The other one, not so much.

Perhaps entertain other offers or put the word out and see what you can fetch. Don't rush any deal with kopitar and ryan.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Giant

I would stand pat with Mike Smith, especially in a h2h format like yours. Goalie categories fluctuate so much on a week to week basis that it's harder to consistently win those categories as opposed to skaters. For this reason, goalies carry less value (also the 2-to-1 category split doesn't help matters), and the emphasis should be placed on collecting top-tier skaters. Neither of these trades would benefit your team overall, IMO, because you'd potentially be sacrificing steady forward production for volatile goalie production.

As for Mike Smith, he's definitely a much better option than you seem to think: you can definitely ride him for a full season. He's in a perfect situation in Arizona, has no "real" competition for his job, and will likely post solid numbers in the Dave Tippett defense-first system. Also, Phoenix has gotten better offensively, which could theoretically translate into less pressure / shots against Smith due to increased possession in the offensive zone. Smith has shown he is capable of putting up ELITE goaltender fantasy production in Phoenix, and now that the situation with the Coyotes is no longer "in flux," I see no reason to think Smith won't thrive in the Desert.

Don't make the deals. Cheers.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I want to first indicate that I am the Luongo owner and looking to move him for Ryan. Goaltending in our league is very important all of the teams that made the playoffs this past season (top6) have solid goaltending for example the top 3 teams:
    1st: Brodeur, Bob, Rinne and others that moved up and down from his farm team
    2nd: Quick, Schneider, Bernier
    3rd: Price, Lehtonen, Holtby
    4th: Fleury, Ward, Emery, Lehner
    The team that squeeked in as the last seed does so just about every season only because of Lundqvist. We have a minimum requirement of 3 goalie starts every week so if Smith doesn't play a game or is given a night off then you take the chance of automatically losing out on 4 stat categories. We start 2 goalies a night for the week so you have to have 2 strong goalies in this years waiver draft the current crop that I have noted includes Emery, Kipper, Brodeur, Vokoun and Nabby. And those will go early for the teams that need goaltending help.
    I know this whole post could be written off as me trying to pump up my trade some more but just wanted to include all the info on why I approached him about this trade. It would be very hard in our league to make the playoffs without solid goaltending.
    12 team weekly head to head keeper
    Stats: G, A, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, +/-, PIM, W, S%, GAA, SO
    Keep 10 plus farm
    Set rosters Daily

C: Kuzy, DStrome, Hischier, Rossi
    LW: Ehlers, Perron, Mangiapane, Nyquist
    RW: Bratt, Caufield, Marchessault, Granlund
    D: Chychrun, Toews, Carlson, Slavin
    G: Hart, Kuemper, Lindgren

IR: Newhook, Sergachev

Minors: Tomasino, CPrimeau, Dorofeyev, Evans, Bedard, Kulich, Protas, Eklund, Neighbours, ABoqvist, Greig, Bourque, Benson, Samoskevich, Askarov, Spence, Soderstrom, Silvos, Jarventie, Bourgault, Simashev, Gajan, Olausson, Brisson, Reinbacher, Pinelli, CSavoie, Stankoven, Suzdalev

Dobber Sports Superstar

I mis-read your initial post as "there are no goalies available on the waiver wire", figuring you needed a second goalie I liked the Luongo trade.

It would help if we could get the complete picture. Cappy indicates you can start 2 goalies per week and have a 3 start minimum. Further, we know that of the 4 goalies stats 2 are cumulative.

If you don't get Luongo we'll assume you have to acquire a second goaltender.

1. Is it possible to acquire a goalie thru the waiver draft and if so who would you likely be looking at? Vokoun/Nabby could be a solid pickup.
    2. Do you have a farm system and if so who is available in your farm system?
    3. What type of goalies will likely be available of waivers for short term adds during the season?
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

His first pick in the waiver draft isn't until round 3 pick #30 by which point most teams have already picked a few times I'm fairly confident in saying that those two guys are off the board by then. We set our rosters daily so he can have 2 goalies starting every night as for his farm system it's weak he took over the team and the guy didn't look for any prospects I see no goalies at all with a quick glance
    Keep 10 plus farm
    Set rosters Daily

Minors: Tomasino, CPrimeau, Dorofeyev, Evans, Bedard, Kulich, Protas, Eklund, Neighbours, ABoqvist, Greig, Bourque, Benson, Samoskevich, Askarov, Spence, Soderstrom, Silvos, Jarventie, Bourgault, Simashev, Gajan, Olausson, Brisson, Reinbacher, Pinelli, CSavoie, Stankoven, Suzdalev

The Wolverine

Although assumptions were made and then your potential trading partner confirmed it, I suggest you add H2H to your signature. At a glance I was reading replies and was waiting for you to come back with, 'actually this is roto' and that could have affected some advice. Fortunately that's not the case.

Specifying the type of league is crucial for complete advice.
    Last edited by horrorfan; July 17, 2013 at 4:35 AM.

Dobber Sports Master

Seems like cappy is doing the hard forum sell on that trade. That rings alarm bells in itself. Mike Smith is a reasonable starter. No need to freak out just yet. 33% goalie stats is a lot in a H2H league, but nothing you cannot overcome with a couple smart moves or a quick draw waiver pickup.

Its early days. Dont feel the need to "fix" your team in July. A bit of "wait and see" goes a long way. Ryan for Luongo might be something that I would do, but not now. Injuries happen and backups steal jobs almost every year. The goalie situation has not even been sorted out for a number of teams.

If Smith is your only goalie, I wouldn't start to really worry about it until October.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks for the input guys.

Wasn't trying to hard sell at all just wanted you guys to have all the info on the leauge because I felt that with all the info you guys would agree with the Luongo trade
    Keep 10 plus farm
    Set rosters Daily