• Jones

24 60.00%
  • Trouba

16 40.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jones or Trouba ?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Jones or Trouba ?

In a keeper league where only pts count who would you rather have ?

Cheers

Dobber Sports Stud

Jones easy. I like Trouba but feel Jones is on a different level
    12 Team HTH Keeper
    (F's G=1 A=1, D G=1 A=1, All Skaters PPG=.5, SHG=.5 Goalies W=2 SO=3)

Dress 8 F, 4 D, 2 G weekly

F's-Marner, Rantanen, Crosby, Panarin, Guentzel, Caufield, Kaprizov, Lundell, Tomasino, Holtz, Pavelski, Zuccarello, Hagel, Dach

D-Makar, Josi, Doughty Andersson, AP, Hutson

G-Hellebuyck, Fleury, Comrie, Kochetkov, Wolf, Primeau, Sogaard

Dobber Sports Monster

Seth Jones is just on another tier than Trouba. Jones has more offensive potential to tap into. Both are absolute future studs in multi-cat leagues, BUT in a points-only league Seth Jones is the way to go.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Jones by a wide margin, he will play top minutes next season where as Trouba is going to be in tough to find minutes in WPG.
    There are things known, and things Unknown. In between are The Doors...

Dobber Sports Veteran

Really like Trouba but give me Jones.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Giant

Call me a contrarian here, but I'll take Trouba. I realize we haven't exactly seen a whole hell of a lot from him (either of these guys really), but from what I've seen -- specifically the past WJC tournament -- it appeared to me that not only is Seth Jones not on another tier, but that Trouba may be the better all-around player.

I don't doubt that Jones has a higher offensive upside, but Jacob Trouba absolutely dominated during the WJCs, and to me his game projects directly to the NHL game. Lest we forget that Trouba has a booming shot from the point (like Jones), can QB a PP (like Jones), and seems to me at least to be the better defensive asset right now.

Balancing the risk/reward, give me Trouba. He seems like more of a sure thing to me. That's not to say Jones doesn't have the higher upside, but I like Trouba here.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Call me a contrarian here, but I'll take Trouba. I realize we haven't exactly seen a whole hell of a lot from him (either of these guys really), but from what I've seen -- specifically the past WJC tournament -- it appeared to me that not only is Seth Jones not on another tier, but that Trouba may be the better all-around player.

I don't doubt that Jones has a higher offensive upside, but Jacob Trouba absolutely dominated during the WJCs, and to me his game projects directly to the NHL game. Lest we forget that Trouba has a booming shot from the point (like Jones), can QB a PP (like Jones), and seems to me at least to be the better defensive asset right now.
    Balancing the risk/reward, give me Trouba. He seems like more of a sure thing to me. That's not to say Jones doesn't have the higher upside, but I like Trouba here.
    Agreed. Heart says Trouba, but fantasy hockey mind says take Jones. I think Trouba is the next Weber. Yeah I said it.... I'd draft Jones early, and if Trouba is there shortly thereafter, GRAB him.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Genius

Jones is the bigger name right now, but I don't think there is a huge difference, and if you guys say that Jones is in another tier offense-wise, then you have to remember he's in Nashville. Sure, Weber gets some decent amount of points, but it's not a scoring hotbed, it's the opposite. My guess is Jones will be a perennial 30 something point guy for a few years and then maybe go above the 40s when he becomes the number 1 guy. Trouba has a better situation by far. One, they're unhappy with the Big Buff drama in the 'Peg. Bogosian is more of a two-way guy, and Enstrom is solid and makes anyone better. I say Trouba here. Just my gut and for the reasons above.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Legend

Jones without a doubt. Stepping into the dance right off the bat and onto a top D pairing and PP unit perhaps. Better raw, offensive skills and nasty shot.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Sage

Trouba has long been one of my favourite prospects but this is not even close imho. Jones all day. Kid is on another level and seems pissed he dropped in the draft, I expect him to come flying out of the gate this year. I fully expect big numbers from him right away while he is not burdened with handling the tough minutes ala Doughty, phaneuf
    Last edited by bigbabybuda; July 15, 2013 at 3:44 PM.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    Trouba has long been one of my favourite prospects but this is not even close imho. Jones all day. Kid is on another level and seems pissed he dropped in the draft, I expect him to come flying out of the gate this year. I fully expect big numbers from him right away while he is not burdened with handling the tough minutes ala Doughty, phaneuf
    They played together at the WJC and Trouba outplayed Jones badly. Trouba was on another level when they were together, against the same opposition. I'm taking Trouba, but I still want Jones too.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by progie View Post
    They played together at the WJC and Trouba outplayed Jones badly. Trouba was on another level when they were together, against the same opposition. I'm taking Trouba, but I still want Jones too.
    Trouba is a year older in development so it's not surprising. Also the WJC means very little at the end of the day. Trouba's NCAA performance should be taken more into consideration.

Can't say who is better than the two as I haven't really seen much of either. Trouba seems to project as a two-way, Staal type down the road

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Trouba is a year older in development so it's not surprising. Also the WJC means very little at the end of the day. Trouba's NCAA performance should be taken more into consideration.

Can't say who is better than the two as I haven't really seen much of either. Trouba seems to project as a two-way, Staal type down the road
    That was the projection two years ago. Not anymore. Troubas' offensive skills has skyrocketed since he was drafted. Yes he does have a year on Jones, but they are both so young. Trouba has only progressed rapidly so far, and I cannot see that stopping.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post

The WJC does mean little at the end of the day, but it's hard to ignore the fact that Trouba looked to be the best player on both sides of the ice in most of those games, including forwards, and including games against Russia, etc. Jones looked only okay, as far as I'm concerned. He is a year younger, though, so I absolutely give him some slack.

No way does Trouba project as a Staal-type player now. He didn't look out of place playing against men at the WC, manning the PP, among other things. He didn't play a major role, but he looked good.

I don't know much about the USHL, but Trouba and Jones both played two seasons in that league, and in his second season Trouba jumped to 4G, 18P in 22GP, while Jones' had 4G, 12P in 22 games. I don't know if we can read too much into that, as I have no idea what the teams were like, etc. but it's worth noting.

I have a hard time giving a firm answer, as I haven't watch Jones play all that much, but I disagree that Jones is on whole other level. Both are amazing players, and I'm excited to see how they do this year. I will say that Jones having Weber to shelter him on the ice and teach him is a major boon to his career.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by progie View Post
    That was the projection two years ago. Not anymore. Troubas' offensive skills has skyrocketed since he was drafted. Yes he does have a year on Jones, but they are both so young. Trouba has only progressed rapidly so far, and I cannot see that stopping.
    His offensive skills couldn't have changed that much over one year. He just got older, and played on two really good teams, with really good forwards. I always say this, but if they don't show progression then it's a bad sign. If they do show progression, it's expected.

Marc Staal, Jared Cowen, etc. all put up junior points. Let's see how Trouba fares in the pros. Guys like him will always put up the points against boys.

Again though I am not giving a true opinion of him as I have barely seen the guy in action.