Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Leaving My Keeper Leagues - Did I Overreact?

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Leaving My Keeper Leagues - Did I Overreact?

So, after 3 and 4 years in my 2 keeper leagues, I've left due to some shenanigans my Commish pulled on me. I sent this letter to the members of both leagues so that everyone is aware of what was going on and why I left.

Note: I've removed the names for on here but they were named in the letter to the other managers.

Hi all,

Most of you know me from being in the fantasy hockey leagues name removed and name removed for the past few years. Over those last few years, I've had a great time and made some great friendships with many of you. These were my first keeper leagues. As a fantasy hockey fanatic, I've devoted far more time than I ever should have to maintaining these teams.

I'm sorry to say that I will be leaving these leagues due to some issues with how they are being run. I've thought name removed has done a great job running these leagues for the last few years. I don't think a Commish should ever get involved in trades unless there is obvious collusion on the part of the managers. After watching him publicly question a trade between two other managers earlier in the season, I began to have my doubts about sticking around. Then the following events went down:

Feb 28 -
    I traded Tuomo Ruutu (IR) and Round 19 (Fourth round) pick to name removed for Round 16 (First Round)
    Mar 21 -
    name removed drops Tuomu Ruutu. This was also the day he returned from injury.
    Apr 2 -
    Commish/Manager contact me to let me know that the trade is going to be reversed because it was unfair since that pick ended up being 1st overall.

Since then, there were ongoing discussions about what should happen. The two options given were as follows (direct quote from Commish):

Here are the options you can choose from:

1. Reverse the trade (my suggestion)

2. Manager takes Ruutu back (from me) and Gabe's 1st Round Pick (5th Overall) and Gabe would receive Managers 7th Round Pick, and would keep the 1st overall selection in the draft.

I see both of these options as a basically equal (since Ruutu is a pretty good keeper). Inform me which one you choose.

As it turns out, (yes I care that much and have enough spare time to find this out), Manager and Commish are good friends and Manager is dating Commish's sister. So I can't help but believe that this may have had some impact on Commish deciding that something needed to be done about the trade.

Anyway, I don't care to be involved in a league where these kind of things are going to happen, so I'm leaving. I wanted to make sure that everyone was aware of what was going on because I don't want to see anyone else get screwed over. It's been a great few years with you guys. I will be starting up a keeper league with very similar settings (same # of managers & roster size with a slight tweak to scoring cats). If anyone would like to join me, please send me an e-mail and we will have our inaugural draft this fall.

No hard feelings Commish and Manager, just wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page and everything was out in the open. Good luck to everyone next year.

Thanks,

Gabe
    Was this an overreaction on my part or did I do the right thing?
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Sage

I don't think it is a overreaction at all if you feel strongly that you were wronged and the commish and the manager acted improperly. To me, if a fantasy league were to make me so angry that I contemplated leaving, I would probably go ahead and leave. These leagues are supposed to improve our enjoyment of sports. Get out of the league if it creates turmoil, negative feelings, and anger.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Deity

As far as an over-reaction, I don't think so. If you aren't happy then it's time to move on. There is always another league looking for a good GM. There are plenty of those out there.

I am a little confused though. Did you leave one league or two?? Your first line makes me think you just left two different leagues but your letter appears to reference one trade that caused you to get upset and leave one league.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    As far as an over-reaction, I don't think so. If you aren't happy then it's time to move on. There is always another league looking for a good GM. There are plenty of those out there.

I am a little confused though. Did you leave one league or two?? Your first line makes me think you just left two different leagues but your letter appears to reference one trade that caused you to get upset and leave one league.
    Two leagues, same Commish and a few of the same managers. They started out with different stats but have now become identical to each other as far as stats/settings go.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Wizard

even if you allow for a Commish having the power to reverse a trade you can't possibly ever think it is ok to do so over a month later

the fact that it was that much later is a clear indication of shenanigans and i would be looking to get out of that league as soon as possible as well

you most certainly did not overreact

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

The Wolverine

I remember your earlier thread on this and it definitely appeared very fishy. I would want no part of such of league. Fantasy hockey is meant to be fun so there's no point being involved in a league that takes away that enjoyment.

Dobber Sports Genius

You did the right thing.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Yea, I'd also say you didn't over-react. Once the integrity of the league is compromised, it is hard to find it fun anymore.

Dobber Sports Icon

Thanks guys. I'm interested to see what the commish of the league comes back with since I included him on the e-mail.

Dobber Sports Expert

The other player dropping Ruutu isn't your fault. Too bad for him he traded away a great pick for nothing. Lame. You can't reverse a trade ever. We have a "trade commisioner" If 3 objections are not made within 48 hours. Trade is completed. no returns or exchanges.

Could this all be a conspiracy to get you to leave? I don't see how anyone can think reversing the trade is a fair move?
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I agree with everything you said and you didn't overreact at all. Two GM's agreed to the trade. You added Ruutu to a fourth round pick for a 1st round pick. Hard to tell at the time if it will turn out to be 1st overall. A month later when the other GM and commish figure it out that its the 1st overall pick it would appear lopsided but by then its way too late to do anything about it. Two GM's agreed on the trade, nobody complained at the time of the trade, no reason to overturn the trade. Get out while you can and be transparent with your thoughts the way you did by messaging entire league. You did the right thing.

Burnsy

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well... I can say this much about Ruutu: In some leagues he was pegged to have considerable value. In past years he has raked FOW from the wing and is a good hitter. When he came back, Carolina showed very little interest in using him and they were well out of the playoff picture. (I own Ruutu, at $5m, in my fantasy dynasty and I never called him up to "play an actual game"... so I effectively would have dumped him had I been forced to roster or dump him.)

So - to that point, I agree that Ruutu had limited value... more limited than start-of-year value... and he wasn't worth a spot on most fantasy teams.

To the other effect... in some leagues the commish is well aware that certain people are friends or brothers.

Your revelation about the comish & the dating of sister is enough information for me.
    Seen it, lived it, understand it.
    There's some massaging here and you aren't in on it.
    B.S.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; July 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM.

Administrator

Regardless of whether what went down was fair or not (which, I'd say is no anyhow) I still think you have an obligation to yourself and your league to get out of any league you are no longer interested in, for whatever reason.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Giant

if your pick turned out to be last in the first round it probably would not have been reversed.
    good job leaving a league with a corrupt commish.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Giant

League regulations and trade protocols don't exist to prevent stupid people from ruining their teams or from making poor decisions vis-a-vis trades, etc. Those regulations exist to maintain universality -- effectively the rule of law -- whereby every member of the league is treated in exactly the same manner in every situation.

You made a trade with another GM, who happened to be very tight with the commish, and when the trade didnt turn out as the other GM would have liked he used his connections to have the trade reversed, most likely crying about "league balance" and "fairness," etc.

You are totally in the right to leave the league (as well as all other leagues run by this clown and his immature friends), and I wish you the best in your search for some replacements. I'm sure you'll find some good guys to play fantasy hockey with around here -- there are a lot of 'em.

Cheers
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin