Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Five reasons why I'm already looking forward to next season

The Wolverine

Default Five reasons why I'm already looking forward to next season

Even though it's only early July, I'm already quite excited about the new hockey season. Specifically, I'll list my five main reasons:

1. Full season. This is an obvious one. With the lockout dragging on, and even the last ditch salvation, it didn't have the same feel to it. Partly to do with having to prepare and draft in September, only for it to drag on before finally starting in January. It went so quickly I hardly got into it. Next season it's back to normal, and look forward to a proper season.

2. Breakouts vs slumps vs outliers. Due to the shortened season, there were some players that took a big step forward, others took a big step backward. Whose breakouts/slumps were real? Whose were outliers? It would be interesting to see what a full season does to some of these players. Fantasy wise, it will also be interesting to see how these players are perceived in the draft and beyond.

3. My teams: Calgary and Ottawa. Calgary's my favourite team, and Ottawa's my home team. Although the Flames will likely go through some tough times in the short term, I'm intrigued to see how it will go next season, the first full one without Iginla, Kiprusoff (if definite), Tanguay and others. How will the young guys fare? Who, if any, will break out? As for the Sens, can they build on this season? Can Spezza stay healthy and Karlsson regain his top level. First season with Bobby Ryan - will he fit well? A lot of questions for both teams, and although I won't get to see them play, I will definitely be following their progress.

4. Dobber league promotion. I had joined my first Entry league last season - my first weekly league as well - and was very fortunate to finish on top of the division, which promotes me to the Pro leagues next season. It'll be a new challenge - first league without PIM as well - so hopefully I will be able to compete with a new group. My goal is to win and be promoted to the experts - no easy task but I'm up for the challenge.

And finally...

5. Rocky Horror Roto Show. Going into its third season, and I've had mixed fortunes. I narrowly lost out on the title in the first year, and I struggled last season. Sure doesn't help when you draft Bryzgalov and Varlamov as your top two goalies - ha! Hopefully won't make a similar mistake again. It's bounce back time!

Thanks for reading. Feel free to share your own.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I've only got one man.

Goalie start threads.

Muahahahaha.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I've only got one man.

Goalie start threads.

Muahahahaha.
    Haha! Make sure you tell me when you're having your draft, and I'll schedule mine for a later date.

Dobber Sports Giant

I agree with your list HF. I would add that I'm pretty pumped to see the effect of a change of scenery for a whole lot of players. The free agent frenzy was a wild one this year and many players changed teams. Can't wait to see the likes of Ryan, Lecavalier, Briere, Seguin, Schneider... in their new surroundings!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Giant

I've only got one man.

Goalie start threads.

Muahahahaha.
    Does your ''gift'' limit itself to starts or basically anything related to goalies?
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Does your ''gift'' limit itself to starts or basically anything related to goalies?
    Well I drafted Quick, Bryzgalov and Varlamov last year....

I chose Markstrom over Holtby in my keeper league two years ago....

Maybe this year I should gun for Mason, Ramo, and Elliott. I'm due right?

Dobber Sports Giant

Maybe this year I should gun for Mason, Ramo, and Elliott. I'm due right?
    Hehe, I can't see how at least one of these guys won't be the clear number 1 for his respective team. I would be real surprised if Ramo doesn't get the reigns in Calgary. The only way I see this NOT happening is if the Flames trade for a guy like Hiller, Reimer or ... *sigh* sign Bryzgalov??!!

Minors:

Banned

Reason #1: Ottawa vs Detroit

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Reason #1: Ottawa vs Detroit
    It's not Ottawa vs Detroit.

It's Ottawa vs Alfredsson. Detroit didn't do anything other than just simply sign a free agent.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    It's not Ottawa vs Detroit.

It's Ottawa vs Alfredsson. Detroit didn't do anything other than just simply sign a free agent.
    Semantics. It's Ottawa vs Detroit to prove who is a better Cup contender.

I already hated Detroit before so this adds something special.

Dobber Sports Novice

I think I'm starting to hate the Sens now.
    16 team H2H

Forwards:
    Tyler Johnson - Jamie Benn - Johan Franzen - Evander Kane - Zack Kassian - Cal Clutterbuck - Tyler Ennis - Michael Grabner - Matt Duchene - Ryan Getzlaf - Nick Bjustad - Claude Giroux - Emerson Etem - Matthew Nieto

Defense:
    Mark Streit - Justin Schultz - Kevin Shattenkirk - Alex Pietrangelo - Michael Del Zotto - Ryan Suter - Jonas Brodin - Torey Krug

Goalies:
    Pekka Rinne - Jaroslav Halak - Robin Lehner - Petr Mrazek - Magnus Hellberg

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kaverorzi View Post
    I think I'm starting to hate the Sens now.

Dobber Sports Guru

Can't wait for the full season. Lots of story lines worth paying attention to fantasy-wise.
    I'm scared/anxious/excited to see how things play out with my Canucks.

Will Lu be back? And will he play well? Chip on his shoulder could help/hurt.
    Tortorella in Vancouver should be fun.
    Hopeful that Vigneault makes NYR fast-paced and high scoring too.
    That coaches swap is wild. I'm very interested to see how it plays out.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'm pumped to watch the kid gloves/poor ice time of Seguin come off and watch him dominate with prime ice time in his natural position, and in turn properly rekindle the Taylor vs. Tyler debate (it's still Taylor, but it's about to get a whole lot closer).

I'm glad Ottawa and Detroit are in the same division. Would hate to see them only play twice and have Ottawa fluke out a win. Future? Probably Ottawa. But this year? Alfie made the right wrong choice (True Contender > Detroit > Ottawa).

As always, I look forward to the watching the rookie class. Who years it up? Who unexpectedly makes the team? Who is expected to and doesn't. Always fun to watch.

Getting in the regular swing of fantasy. 12 weeks wasn't enough. It works for football, not hockey.

Dobber Sports Stud

VAN v NYR
    VAN v NJ
    OTT v DET

**Getting circled on the calendar!

I'm also looking forward to see how B.Ryan fits in.

How Columbus shapes up.

Colorado under Roy.

How dominant will Boston be?

Seguin in Dallas.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy