Thread: Seth Jones & his effect on Nashville

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Seth Jones & his effect on Nashville

Thanks to Pengwin bumping the 30 Thoughts thread I saw the one about how Trotz has 'already decided' on Jones & Weber as his first defense pair. Obviously that is subject to change, but for the time being that's how it looks. Friedman also notes that both could end up on the top PP unit.

What does that mean?

GG to Josi & Ellis owners...at least in the short-term.

Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Here was the direct mention in the Friedmann article.

5. Predators head coach Barry Trotz immediately said Jones would partner with Shea Weber, which would create a rare righty-righty defensive pairing. Phil Housley, just hired to tutor Nashville's defencemen, said he wasn't worried, pointing out that playing on the off-wing will allow Jones to see the ice better as he carries it through the neutral zone. Housley added that Jones and Weber are so lengthy that it will allow both to play at the top of the power play, which lessens the concern of two right-handed shots hurting the ability to create one-timers.

Yeah... after reading that I bumped S.Jones value in my books a bit.
    I think that is great that he'll be paired with Weber.

I think Nashville is going to be a good atmosphere for him to mature.

I'm starting to think that he might "buck the trend" we've formed recently that young defensemen aren't fantasy relevant for several years...

The Great One

I don't see Jones getting first unit PP time this year, at least not on a regular basis.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I don't see Jones getting first unit PP time this year, at least not on a regular basis.
    Agreed, though he may get the chance if Josi falters any. Small likelihood, but still..

Hamilton got some good opportunity in BOS before Krug stole it in the playoffs. I'd venture to say Jones will be better next year than Hamilton was this year. Weak forwards though, so the assists may not come despite the IT.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Oh I absolutely do. The Preds were smiling like Mr. Kool-Aid when Jones fell into their laps. Skill-wise, he should be on the top PP and will IMO. If anything, he will cut into Weber's goals a tad but help his overall points.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Both Weber and Jones are "lengthy"? How is a player when he is lengthy?
    GO WINGS!

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Oh I absolutely do. The Preds were smiling like Mr. Kool-Aid when Jones fell into their laps. Skill-wise, he should be on the top PP and will IMO. If anything, he will cut into Weber's goals a tad but help his overall points.
    I guess we will have to see, but I don't think Jones is good enough offensively yet to be on the top PP unit. I also think the Preds are really high on Josi and think he is the first choice (along with Weber). My last reason why I don't think Jones will be rushed onto the top PP unit is because Trotz is probably the most conservative coach in the NHL when it comes to utilizing young players.

Let's just put it this way: Before joining the NHL, I watched Jones a lot and I watched Ellis a lot and Ellis was sooooo much better on the PP but he has hardly gotten a sniff at the PP in the NHL with Trotz. When Ellis "fell" into the Preds lap in 2009, the Predators were throwing some similarly high-praise at Ellis. I remember them saying, and I quote: "Ellis could fall out of bed and run a powerplay in the NHL".

If they didn't give Ellis the reigns to run the PP, I don't think they are going to give it to Jones either, at least not as a rookie.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98