Thread: Erik Johnson

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Erik Johnson

Do you guys see him improving much next season?
    I think I might be able to pick him up for cheap, and am just wondering if he is worth getting and using a keeper spot on.
    14 Team keeper
    Keep 16
    Scoring Stats: G(1) A(1) PIM(.2) GWG(1)
    Goalie Stats: W(2) SO(3) OTL(1)
    Start 9 F 6 D 1 G

F: R.Getzlaf, Schwartz ,A.Kopitar,T.Seguin, J.Benn, Krejci ,P.Kessel,J.Thornton,S.Hartnell
    D: Ristolainen ,Letang,Carlson,K.Yandle,B.Burns,D.Doughty

G:Schneider
    Bench:T.Bozak,E.Lindholm,Gaborik,Jagr,F.Nielsen,Br ouwer,Hornqvist E.Staal

Dobber Sports Giant

It would be pretty hard for him not to improve upon last season, but I don't know if he's even worth your time at this point.

You really shouldn't have to give up much of anything to acquire him, if at all, and I certainly can't recommend that you use a keeper slot on him -- unless of course you literally have no one else to keep.

With EJ, it's pretty much wait and see. I'm sure you can always scoop him up maybe as a late-draft sleeper, but much more likely as an FA, next season if the opportunity presents itself.

Cheers.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Honestly...EJ has nearly been as big a bust as dipietro...only EJ has been failing through his play, rather than through non play.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to buy him. If you want to take a chance...get him late in the draft. I expect he'll be there.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Honestly...EJ has nearly been as big a bust as dipietro...only EJ has been failing through his play, rather than through non play.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to buy him. If you want to take a chance...get him late in the draft. I expect he'll be there.
    He'll probably make it through the draft as well. I'm guessin he can be had off waivers / FA for free next season. Don't give anything up or waste a keeper slot on EJ.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Icon

He is definitely worth taking a flyer on for a cheap price. Even last year which was his worst season by a long ways, he was in the top 90 of all NHL dmen in PP TOI/g. With a new coaching staff in Colorado, Johnson will have a new lease on life. With 84 defensemen as keepers in your league, it is definitely worth taking a chance on him. Compared to other dmen who will not be kept, his potential is so much higher.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    He is definitely worth taking a flyer on for a cheap price. Even last year which was his worst season by a long ways, he was in the top 90 of all NHL dmen in PP TOI/g. With a new coaching staff in Colorado, Johnson will have a new lease on life. With 84 defensemen as keepers in your league, it is definitely worth taking a chance on him. Compared to other dmen who will not be kept, his potential is so much higher.
    Looking at his bolded keepers, there is nobody that I'd drop from that list of 16 in order to keep EJ.

Stick with what you have.

As others have said, you'll be able to draft him or pick him up on waivers.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Follow suit, leave him alone. His PP time next year is only going to decrease, not increase, as Tyson Barrie and Stefan Elliot continue to emerge as offensive players.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Looking at his bolded keepers, there is nobody that I'd drop from that list of 16 in order to keep EJ.

Stick with what you have.

As others have said, you'll be able to draft him or pick him up on waivers.
    Those were my initial thoughts as well.

All of the guys on your team have the potential to be just as productive as EJ would be for your team. We've been waiting for years for him to bust out...and nothing yet. I would be willing to draft him to see if I could finally get that big breakout (if it even comes)...I actually drafted him late last year in one league. But I wouldn't deal assets for him or keep him over guys who could give me some good production.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

In a league that looks at standard categories + hits and blocks, who would you rather have: Erik Johnson or Ryan Murray?

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by mr_long1990 View Post
    In a league that looks at standard categories + hits and blocks, who would you rather have: Erik Johnson or Ryan Murray?
    For the simple reason that Ryan Murray carries more value as a top-prospect and last year's 2nd overall pick, I'd go with Murray.

Despite the fact that we've seen nothing from Murray, we've seen just about the same from EJ and most people have completely written him off. As moveable assets, Murray will probably benefit your squad more.

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Legend

EJ is toeing the line of "fantasy bust." The next 2 seasons will seal his fantasy fate IMO. All of the injuries and excuses should be out of the way now. There is a new regime in Denver and Johnson will either start living up to potential or he won't - he controls his own destiny. That said, I wouldn't bail on any current keepers for him - consider him a semi-sleeper this offseason and draft him accordingly. At 25, he'll either blossom or remain a mediocre-to-poor fantasy option withing the next 12-18 months.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Stud

He gave COL enough reason to avoid drafting a defenceman 1st overall! Hah
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy