Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Luongo in reflection about his future

Dobber Sports Stud

From today's ramblings (in the context of Kovie etc):

"And could all 34-year-olds "retire" and then play one year in the KHL, and then return to the NHL as free agents? There's a loophole that could be trouble."

First thing I think of when I read this is that it could be another option for Luongo.
    24teams;27players(20roster,7bench)dynasty(full keeper);
    Cap league based on NHL salaries (not cap hit);
    pool points:
    F/C: G 4pts; A 4pts; +/- 2pts
    D(min5,max9): G 8pts; A 5pts; +/- 4pts
    G(min2,max3): W 9pts; OTL 5pts; SO 4pts
    extra points for PPP

F:Kucherov,Kessel,Thornton,Galchenyuk,Hornqvist,Tr ochek,Atkinson,Jenner,SamBennett,Namestnikov,Point ,DShore,ZSanford,DStrome,ANylander,Guentzel,Kapane n,Kamenev
    D:Klingberg,Vatanen,Krug,Stralman,Pulock,Hanifin,W alman
    G:Fleury,Murray

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post
    From today's ramblings (in the context of Kovie etc):

"And could all 34-year-olds "retire" and then play one year in the KHL, and then return to the NHL as free agents? There's a loophole that could be trouble."

First thing I think of when I read this is that it could be another option for Luongo.
    It's an option but then he loses out on the millions upon millions of dollars. Kovalchuk was getting all that back in the KHL. I doubt Luongo wants to play in Russia, and so the retirement deal doesn't quite work for him.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    It's an option but then he loses out on the millions upon millions of dollars. Kovalchuk was getting all that back in the KHL. I doubt Luongo wants to play in Russia, and so the retirement deal doesn't quite work for him.
    True. But if he can be taken at his word, his contract is crap and he'd tear it up if he could. So I guess he has to decide what's most important. I agree I think he's unlikely to want to play in Russia.
    24teams;27players(20roster,7bench)dynasty(full keeper);
    Cap league based on NHL salaries (not cap hit);
    pool points:
    F/C: G 4pts; A 4pts; +/- 2pts
    D(min5,max9): G 8pts; A 5pts; +/- 4pts
    G(min2,max3): W 9pts; OTL 5pts; SO 4pts
    extra points for PPP

F:Kucherov,Kessel,Thornton,Galchenyuk,Hornqvist,Tr ochek,Atkinson,Jenner,SamBennett,Namestnikov,Point ,DShore,ZSanford,DStrome,ANylander,Guentzel,Kapane n,Kamenev
    D:Klingberg,Vatanen,Krug,Stralman,Pulock,Hanifin,W alman
    G:Fleury,Murray

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post
    True. But if he can be taken at his word, his contract is crap and he'd tear it up if he could. So I guess he has to decide what's most important. I agree I think he's unlikely to want to play in Russia.
    Haha, that's an excellent point.

Banned

woohoo someone finally fixed the title, that was driving me batty

Dobber Sports Ninja

You're welcome.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    woohoo someone finally fixed the title, that was driving me batty
    If it was driving you batty, I wonder what it was doing to Dakkster?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

as a diehard canuck fan and a luongo owner I'm bemused by the range of opinions on this ... and all the blame that gets tossed around so heartily..

in my opinion, its all overblown.

I don't know what the fans have done that was so awful. yes there were hotheads calling in local radio and spewing bile on Luo ...but the majority were still there with the "LOOOUUuuu!" chants at the games and were supportive.

Luo himself has been standup the whole way, in fact he's improved his image through the ordeal, certainly versus the "pumping the tires" debacle. However, we don't know whether he hamstrung Gillis in the trade market -- popular sentiment is that he was deadset on Florida, so he is also guilty it seems in creating this mess. But he was never publicly adversarial to the club, a la Rick Nash..

Gillis does have fault to bear, but in the end, he solved his goalie issue and got a top 10 pick in the process. Not too long ago he was overjoyed to commit to Luongo long term, and since then the player has done nothing but put up the same near .920 sv% he has over 700+ games.

Could Gillis have traded him earlier? Maybe, but who knows what the offers were. I don't fault him for not selling Luo cheap. The much-rumoured TO deal had Gillis asking for a ton and Nonis offering only Bozak, a pick and lesser parts (ie no Kardi, Gardiner or 1st), but that's all speculation. The deadline fiasco with cousin Dregs tweeting out offer after offer looked bad on the Leafs more than gillis, IMO (and worse on Dreger.) After the lockout, in a shortened season with limited time to separate the buyers from sellers, that was not a deal that was going to be made at the deadline...

If there's anyone I blame in this mess it is the media, who stirred the pot at every opportunity. TSN, CBC even the NBC douches like Milbury were all aboard the pile-on-Canucks/Gillis train ... making this whole thing seem much worse than it actually is. Tin-foil-hat perhaps, but I've seen enough of it over this period of contending-Canucks, and IMO the bias is a real thing.

Schneider may end up being the better goalie, but that's yet to be proven. Canucks are going with the sure thing, and he should be reliable at least for the next 4-5 years, which is the current window anyway. I'm fine with the way things went down.

And I believe Luo will realize with a bit of time and self-reflection that with a clear starting role on a contending team (hopefully) with a new coach (lets not forget that part) and lots of buddies in the room, and a path to Sochi ...he'll have plenty to play for and will bring it for the Canucks again this year.
    Last edited by tripel; July 18, 2013 at 11:45 AM.
    CBS Sportsline H2H 14 team keeper league (keep 14)
    (G, A, Shots, Blocked Shots, PPPs, +/- (no PIMs in our league), W, Sv%, GAA)

C: Pettersson, Aho, Hischier, O’Reilly, Coyle, Novak
    W: Marner, Debrincat, Barzal,
    Kempe, Mittlestadt, Terevainen, P.Kane, Kakko
    D: Pietrangelo, Doughty, Werenski, Dunn, Provorov, York, McNabb
    G: Skinner, Vanacek, UPL

2010-11 & 2018-19 Champs

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by tripel View Post
    as a diehard canuck fan and a luongo owner I'm bemused by the range of opinions on this ... and all the blame that gets tossed around so heartily..

in my opinion, its all overblown.

I don't know what the fans have done that was so awful. yes there were hotheads calling in local radio and spewing bile on Luo ...but the majority were still there with the "LOOOUUuuu!" chants at the games and were supportive.

Luo himself has been standup the whole way, in fact he's improved his image through the ordeal, certainly versus the "pumping the tires" debacle. However, we don't know whether he hamstrung Gillis in the trade market -- popular sentiment is that he was deadset on Florida, so he is also guilty it seems in creating this mess. But he was never publicly adversarial to the club, a la Rick Nash..

Gillis does have fault to bear, but in the end, he solved his goalie issue and got a top 10 pick in the process. Not too long ago he was overjoyed to commit to Luongo long term, and since then the player has done nothing but put up the same near .920 sv% he has over 700+ games.

Could Gillis have traded him earlier? Maybe, but who knows what the offers were. I don't fault him for not selling Luo cheap. The much-rumoured TO deal had Gillis asking for a ton and Nonis offering only Bozak, a pick and lesser parts (ie no Kardi, Gardiner or 1st), but that's all speculation. The deadline fiasco with cousin Dregs tweeting out offer after offer looked bad on the Leafs more than gillis, IMO (and worse on Dreger.) After the lockout, in a shortened season with limited time to separate the buyers from sellers, that was not a deal that was going to be made at the deadline...

If there's anyone I blame in this mess it is the media, who stirred the pot at every opportunity. TSN, CBC even the NBC douches like Milbury were all aboard the pile-on-Canucks/Gillis train ... making this whole thing seem much worse than it actually is. Tin-foil-hat perhaps, but I've seen enough of it over this period of contending-Canucks, and IMO the bias is a real thing.

Schneider may end up being the better goalie, but that's yet to be proven. Canucks are going with the sure thing, and he should be reliable at least for the next 4-5 years, which is the current window anyway. I'm fine with the way things went down.

And I believe Luo will realize with a bit of time and self-reflection that with a clear starting role on a contending team (hopefully) with a new coach (lets not forget that part) and lots of buddies in the room, and a path to Sochi ...he'll have plenty to play for and will bring it for the Canucks again this year.

Well said, and I for one am really pulling for Luongo. Just his sense of humor alone that he has maintained thrroughout some pretty difficult times, great to see, and by all accounts he has been a MODEL teammate, that goes a long way in my books. I think he and Price will be a fantastic Sochi combo too.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Well said, and I for one am really pulling for Luongo. Just his sense of humor alone that he has maintained thrroughout some pretty difficult times, great to see, and by all accounts he has been a MODEL teammate, that goes a long way in my books. I think he and Price will be a fantastic Sochi combo too.
    but who will the the clear starter "going in" ??

lol cheers
    CBS Sportsline H2H 14 team keeper league (keep 14)
    (G, A, Shots, Blocked Shots, PPPs, +/- (no PIMs in our league), W, Sv%, GAA)

C: Pettersson, Aho, Hischier, O’Reilly, Coyle, Novak
    W: Marner, Debrincat, Barzal,
    Kempe, Mittlestadt, Terevainen, P.Kane, Kakko
    D: Pietrangelo, Doughty, Werenski, Dunn, Provorov, York, McNabb
    G: Skinner, Vanacek, UPL

2010-11 & 2018-19 Champs

Dobber Sports Pro

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/m...-of-vancouver/

So with Luongo's new super agents, is anybody singing a different tune now?

I agree he won't "hold out" per se, but this is another move that screams he wants out sooner rather than later.

Man, if they lose Luongo and Schnieder after all is said and done, the fallout would be huge.

The Canucks could go after Tim Thomas (after Luongo inflated his tires) or sign a HUMMANGOUS contract to Bryz.

The value of Eddie Lack would sky rocket too from a fantasy perspective.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Pro

Strombone ‏@strombone1 6m
    Hey @eddielack I'm warning you now! Don't get any ideas this upcoming season!!! Got it???
    Expand
    NA Hockey League 16 team H2H league multicat
    2010/2011 2014/2015 Champs

Saad, Kesler, Monahan, Ladd, T. Johnson, Hoffman, Neiderrieter, D. Sedin, O'Reilly, Hudler

Wideman, Barrie, Stralman, Muzzin, Enstrom, Vatanen

Miller, Lack, Elliot

Dobber Sports Padawan

Strombone ‏@strombone1
    When does the schedule for the KHL get released??? I kid I kid.......

His twitter is hilarious.