Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Luongo in reflection about his future

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Okay, so I'm just going to throw some thoughts out here and see if any of them sticks.

1. Why wouldn't the league allow the contract to be cancelled? The player doesn't get any more money. The team isn't on the hook for any more money. The only reason would be cap circumvention, right? To hold the team accountable for a stupid decision.

2. Cap circumvention: Is it that, really? In this case? Luongo is giving up serious money. He's not at his back-diving salary years yet. So that's not cap circumvention. If it would be a situation where the player retired immediately afterwards it would be cap circumvention. If the player signed a new contract with the same team afterwards, it would be cap circumvention. But if the player moves on to a new contract with a new team, I don't see how it's cap circumvention.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

There is no way in hell Luongo will agree to cancel his contract. Give up 6.7 mil a year for 8 more years? Right!

He's pissed because he wanted a buy out and then he would be free to resign and get paid by another team at the same time as the cancuks pay his buyout for the next 20 years. This guy did nothing to steal the #1 job back from Schneider this past season. He had his list of teams he wanted to go too and it only included selfishly Florida. Let him Rot in Vancouver on the pine if he doesn't want to play. I have zero sympathy for anyone making that kind of money and bitching about things that don't go his way. Had he been the best goalie on the team we wouldn't be talking about this. Had he not imploded in Boston for 3 games not 1 but 3 we'd have a cup in Vancouver. The guy was arrogant and an ass self admittedly until he was finally humbled this past year. Now he needs the owner, GM and Coach to come to his house in florida and convince him to play? Really? He's lucky he isn't in the minors like Diepetro was because had he been put on waiver no team would waste their time picking him up.

Gillis should have been fired a long time ago.
    Last edited by ds760; July 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ds760 View Post
    Really? He's lucky he isn't in the minors like Diepetro was because had he been put on waiver no team would waste their time picking him up.

Gillis should have been fired a long time ago.
    First part, yeah, nobody would take a top 10 goalie for free... right.

2nd part I agree with. Gillis isn't doing much to make himself look good.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Brady19 View Post
    Or he doesn't show up to camp and demands a trade.
    That's probably what I would do in Luongo's shoes after getting jerked around for 2 years.
    He did demand a trade. No takers due to his contract. He has to show up at camp, or retire.
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports Wizard

this might sound a tad crazy, but the team that should get him are the Pens.

Move Fleury for Lou straight up. Van gets out of a "bad" contract, and the Pens get a reliable goalie who can take them deep.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post

Move Fleury for Lou straight up. Van gets out of a "bad" contract, and the Pens get a reliable goalie who can take them deep.
    And the Canuck fans get a harsh introduction into what it actually means to have your goalie shit the bed in the playoffs.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    And the Canuck fans get a harsh introduction into what it actually means to have your goalie shit the bed in the playoffs.
    LOL exactly. Everyone's a winner.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post

I like this.

Dobber Sports Pro

Eddie Lack would gain some serious value if any of this comes to fruition. If I'm in a league where he's available, I'd be stashing him hard.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Veteran

If Luongo sits out the year the Canucks should toll the year of his contract so they don't use a valuable year off the deal.

Dobber Sports Superstar

My own thoughts:

1. Luongo will be in camp. By the time camp starts it will be like this “weighing my options” thing never happened. Luongo will realize he is now #1 and part of a very good team and will want to play well to make Team Canada for the Olympics. Getting paid $6.7m is another good reason to show up. Some may think this will have a big impact on his play but I don’t think it will. I think after the first few weeks of the season Luongo will get back into the rhythm of starting 60+ games and we’ll quickly forget that Schneider is gone.

2. On my reading of the CBA if the Canucks and Luongo both truly wanted to part ways I believe Luongo could not show up, the Canucks could suspend him and then terminate his contract and Luongo could go on his merry way to sign elsewhere. The NHL might be less than thrilled but I don’t think they’d pitch a huge hissy fit. I don’t see this as cap circumvention (ironically his actual contract IS cap circumvention in my mind). However I don’t see the contract getting cancelled for two reasons. First, $6.7m is a lot of money. Sure Luongo would love to be play elsewhere but that is a lot of money to give up to have that wish become a reality. More importantly the NHLPA would freakout if Luongo allowed his contract to be cancelled. The BEST thing that NHL players have currently is guaranteed money! Sign a contract and so long as you don’t retire you are guaranteed to get paid every single dime (or at least get bought out)! Compare how the Islanders had to pay DiPietro an insane amount to get rid of him to the Indianapolis Colts cutting Peyton Manning and not having to pay him a dime! The NHLPA would be very upset if Luongo seriously raised the idea of walking away because then every underperforming player would be encouraged to do the same which would reduce the Player compensation as a whole.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    Good on Lou I wouldn't go back there either. No offense (as Vancouver is my 2nd favorite city) but your entire fan base and your entire management showed 0 class during this entire endeavor! He leads you to a cup final, wins a gold medal in your home town, puts up top 5 numbers in the league year after year and you guys try and pitch fork him out of town. All well being a class act and contributing to the community. Any other city they would have built statues to the guy. It was a joke and a disgrace! I swear to god if it was me I would rather forfit me remaining money retire to my private island and **** Vancouver the way theytried to screw me!

Fully agree !

Bad management ! pay back time Vancouver ):

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    Good on Lou I wouldn't go back there either. No offense (as Vancouver is my 2nd favorite city) but your entire fan base and your entire management showed 0 class during this entire endeavor! He leads you to a cup final, wins a gold medal in your home town, puts up top 5 numbers in the league year after year and you guys try and pitch fork him out of town. All well being a class act and contributing to the community. Any other city they would have built statues to the guy. It was a joke and a disgrace! I swear to god if it was me I would rather forfit me remaining money retire to my private island and **** Vancouver the way theytried to screw me!
    come on now, Vancouver has been a goalie graveyard for decades. you make it sound like this is something new for a goalie in Vancouver.

Maybe Kovie retiring sparks some interest in what Lou's options are.
    hope not, I want to see him back at camp!!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post
    come on now, Vancouver has been a goalie graveyard for decades. you make it sound like this is something new for a goalie in Vancouver.
    This makes no sense to me....

That said. I hope Luongo comes back. Fans were absolute dicks to him though and I'm not sure I would want to come back if I were him.
    Two Stroke Hockey League - Points only, full keeper
    Capwise Full Keeper H2H Roto Leagues: East Coast Fantasy League,
    Icey Cups Fantasy Hockey League - H2H Points, Full Keeper

Dobber Sports Ninja

[QUOTE=LawMan;1162769]My own thoughts:

1. Luongo will be in camp. By the time camp starts it will be like this “weighing my options” thing never happened. Luongo will realize he is now #1 and part of a very good team and will want to play well to make Team Canada for the Olympics. Getting paid $6.7m is another good reason to show up. Some may think this will have a big impact on his play but I don’t think it will. I think after the first few weeks of the season Luongo will get back into the rhythm of starting 60+ games and we’ll quickly forget that Schneider is gone.
    [\QUOTE]

Completely agreed. The Canucks are still a top team and Luongo is a professional. The fans will love him once this is all behind them.