Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default First Look: 2013-2014 COL Forward Lines

Colorado has pegged their forward lines for the coming year as:
    RW-C-LW

O'Reilly - Duchene - PAP
    Landeskog - Stastny - Tanguay
    McGinn - MacKinnon - Downie

My notes:
    1. O'Reilly has played only C and should open on most fantasy hockey websites as C-only. He has sneaky value here that could hurt or help a fantasy team:
    i) In FOW leagues, it will hurt to be C... but not take any FOW. If your fantasy team has a DEEP bench, you may want to stash him though...
    ii) In non-FOW leagues, he could be a sneaky late-addition. Center could be overloaded next year if players like Giroux/ Backes/ Benn/ Datsyuk/ Zetterberg/ J.Staal/ Duchene are all possibly rightly pegged as just C. This means that O'Reilly could fall off some one-year draft boards because he is buried behind too many Cs. Draft him as a C, expecting eventual LW eligibility.

2. Tanguay is listed as only LW in most leagues.
    A little LW/RW dual-eligibility can give him a nice value bump in some leagues.

3. Downie has been LW/RW and should likely remain that way. He was out for the whole year but could be a top sleeper candidate in many leagues next year.

Summary:
    Sleepers: O'Reilly, Downie

Dobber Sports Pro

Roy will quickly learn that Colorado is a better team when Landeskog and O'Reilly are getting more ice time than Duchene and PAP.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Good comments Pen! I think Mac passes Stastny for the 2C by the midpoint of the year. Also (mostly based on last year):

PP1 - Duchene - Parenteau - O'Reilly - Landeskog - Barrie
    PP2 - Stastny - Tanguay - Mackinnon - Hejduk/Downie - Elliot

I could see Mac being PP1 in O'Reilly's spot by midpoint of the year. Last year O'Reilly was the other point guy.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
    Roy will quickly learn that Colorado is a better team when Landeskog and O'Reilly are getting more ice time than Duchene and PAP.
    Nobody should see more ice time in that forward group than Duchene. He is their best player and it is not even remotely close.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    PP1 - Duchene - Parenteau - O'Reilly - Landeskog - Barrie
    PP2 - Stastny - Tanguay - Mackinnon - Hejduk/Downie - Elliot

I could see Mac being PP1 in O'Reilly's spot by midpoint of the year. Last year O'Reilly was the other point guy.

Most coaches will try (try!) to keep line 1 in tact on PP1, so that when the PP is over they can get their full line 1 back on the ice.
    If that is the case, MacK could very well inch his way onto that PP1:

PP1 - Duchene - Parenteau - O'Reilly - MacK/Downie/McG - Barrie
    PP2 - Stastny - Tanguay - Landeskog - MacK/Downie/McG - D
    ES1 - ROR-Duchene-PAP (line 1)

Dobber Sports Stud

I like it.. Every line seems to be nicely balanced; some offence, some defence, a playmaker..

Be interesting to see how it fairs out!
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Guru

Nice to see, but I just don't hold a lot of stock in it.
    He hasn't even seen them on the ice together yet. Line combos in the middle of summer are like mock drafts 8 months early. Fun to look at, but not worth getting excited about.

Remember how sweet the Nash-Richards-Gabby/Callahan line was gonna look last summer?

I just hope Stastny can do more than the 50-55 he's been putting up.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Nice to see, but I just don't hold a lot of stock in it.
    He hasn't even seen them on the ice together yet. Line combos in the middle of summer are like mock drafts 8 months early. Fun to look at, but not worth getting excited about.

Remember how sweet the Nash-Richards-Gabby/Callahan line was gonna look last summer?

I just hope Stastny can do more than the 50-55 he's been putting up.
    True. I think it says more about the coach then anything and the type of team he wants on the ice. But like you said, we shall see.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Demi-God

intuitively I have Downie, Elliott and Stastny as the sleepers on that squad. Be very interesting to see how things pan out - I do think we will see an overall increase in offensive production from the Avs.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    intuitively I have Downie, Elliott and Stastny as the sleepers on that squad. Be very interesting to see how things pan out - I do think we will see an overall increase in offensive production from the Avs.
    yeah I snagged Downie last year anticipating a poor finish by the Avs and another top notch pick. We've seen before that he can play the complimentary Semenko-like role whilst racking up 40-50 pts and a shit ton of PIMs. I own Stastny too and I'm still uncertain if he'll bounce back or not...hopeful but I dunno

Dobber Sports Master

I also agree with Stone... It seems silly to announce lines in Mid August. Everyone knows that lineups change a lot during the season. I'm wondering if this is Roy's way of cushioning the blow if MacKinnon isn't a star right out of the gate like a lot are expecting.

I'd be very surprised if MacKinnon stayed a 3d line centre for the entire season. You dont line up someone with as much hype as him with plugs for the year. Doesn't make sense and its bad asset management.

I would be putting very little thought into what this means for the upcoming season.