Thread: Offer for 3rd overall...tempted

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Offer for 3rd overall...tempted

Hey all,

I rarely ask this sort of question, but I could use your assistance on this one please.

I have the 3rd overall entry pick in an H2H fantasy points league. Salary cap is generally 20 million above NHL cap. 25 main roster, 35 farm, and a separate list of 20 players selected in entry drafts who can remain untouched for two years. After this year's graduations/drops I will have seven spots on that list.

Offense – G=2, A=2, +/-=1, PIM=.5, PPP=1, SHP=3, HTS=.2, BLK=.5

Goaltending – W=3, L=-3, GA=-.6, OTL=1, SV=.2, SO=5

Goalies blow every other position out of the water for fantasy points attained, and while superstar forwards are certainly very valuable, Mark Fraser was the 15th most valuable skater last year. Beauchemin was 17th, Ott 20th, etc. and that is not even factoring salaries. If you break it down to fantasy points per dollar, Fraser probably moves into the top 5, so there are lots of ways to find value beyond targeting superstars.

Now the offer:

My 3rd overall

His 11th, 13th, 19th and 23rd overall picks, Joonas Korpisalo and Josh Harding.

I look at Korpisalo and Harding as dice rolls at this point, and not much more than that, but as goalies, they have some value. The four picks interest me quite a bit though, as I could potentially bring in a number of good players, who in this odd points format could be nearly as useful, or even more useful than Drouin/Barkov/Jones, and will likely not receive quite the same exorbitant salaries quite as soon. Because they could sit on my prospects list for the next two years, then move to my farm, and not have to leave my farm until they signed their first RFA deals, I'd have plenty of time for development, etc.

Theoretically I hate giving up the best player in the deal, but in a league where Mark Fraser was more valuable than Giroux last year, it's a bit more complicated.
    Any opinions?
    Last edited by Ed.; July 1, 2013 at 10:49 PM.

Dobber Sports Giant

I remember playing in one of those pools not too long ago... I hated loving it and I loved to hate it! I really messes with your pre-established rankings and just your general vision of a hockey pool as a whole.

Considering your stats, the player you would want with your 3rd pick is Jones for his multi-cat ability. Drouin won't get you much more than PTS and SOG. Barkov could be an interesting player, but I do not see him as a multi-cat beast. Therefore, if Jones is gone, the other picks become a no-brainer.

I would gamble on the 4 picks as the draft is a very deep one and you can land some really good players with picks 11-13-19 (even 23) IMO
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Genius

If you're smart enough to know that Mark Fraser was more valuable in your format than Giroux last year, you're doing a good job educating yourself.

Re-reading the stat line though, you should say GOOD goalies blow everyone else out of the water.

Of course, you would love to have a Barkov... one of the guys that is drafted before 11th.

I suspect you'll do a good job on the draft. That's important! Not everyone does their homework to make certain they get the most bang for their buck.

Depending upon how your cap works, some of the top picks (Barkov might be a good example) have a very difficult time achieving enough points to justify their salary. That doesn't mean that they aren't excellent players, just that they should be getting 50 points, and that often they aren't there yet.

In the end, the other guy receives a player more likely to achieve a 70 point season than you do. You appear to have enough kicks at the cat, to have an ample opportunity to win the deal. You're not wrong to make the deal, nor to decline it. Follow your heart.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by JHM View Post
    In the end, the other guy receives a player more likely to achieve a 70 point season than you do. You appear to have enough kicks at the cat, to have an ample opportunity to win the deal. You're not wrong to make the deal, nor to decline it. Follow your heart.
    I totally agree, but I think you may just have mixed him up even more

Drafting prospects, especially in a fantasy perspective is always a gamble (sometimes a more calculated gamble than others, but still...)

The way I see this trade is 4 vs 1 (without counting Harding and Korpisalo), whereas the earlier pick might have a better chance at becoming the player he is expected to be, but that the 4 other picks are bound to help him out if he does his homework, especially in his league format. In general, I will favor the quality over the quantity in a given trade, but I feel that this trade is best won with quantity considering his scoring categories and cap rules.
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Initiate

Many thanks guys. I realize that was a long, complex post to digest, and I appreciate you working your way through it to help me out. I don't know if rep is important to you, but I sent some your way, as it is well deserved. I did end up making the trade. I will definitely need to choose wisely with those picks, but I think there is a good chance of this working out quite well for me.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    Many thanks guys. I realize that was a long, complex post to digest, and I appreciate you working your way through it to help me out. I don't know if rep is important to you, but I sent some your way, as it is well deserved. I did end up making the trade. I will definitely need to choose wisely with those picks, but I think there is a good chance of this working out quite well for me.
    Cool, keep us posted on who you pick or if you need help prior to making the selection for each!

Minors: