Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My latest language pet peeve

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    What about when people don't hyphenate a word that should be? For example, how often do we see posts on these forums where they say 'resign' instead of 're-sign'?
    It was an honest mistake, ok!? Jeez! Get off my back...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    It was an honest mistake, ok!? Jeez! Get off my back...
    haha was it you that posted a recent one? lol

it's actually pretty common and an easy mistake to make because in your head it reads correctly...it's just funny that the actual word means the opposite of what the intended word is

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    haha was it you that posted a recent one? lol

it's actually pretty common and an easy mistake to make because in your head it reads correctly...it's just funny that the actual word means the opposite of what the intended word is
    That said, if someone makes this mistake when posting about Mike Gillis I will neg-rep them into oblivion.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    That said, if someone makes this mistake when posting about Mike Gillis I will neg-rep them into oblivion.
    hahahaha

understood...but it also begs the question...who would you have replace him?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Oooh Oooh Oooh As someone who also believes people have wiped their ass with the English language for far too long, I have to chime in. I, too, have a pet peeve or three to toss onto the fire:

(1) Ironic does NOT mean coincidence... I was watching the PBA the other day and the color guy had said something to the effect "hey Dave, isnt it ironic the last time he won a title we also did the broadcast?" And I wanted to throw my shoe at the tv. Cooler heads prevailed.

(2) Impact....When did this nonsense with "impact" (as a verb) replacing "affect" begin?? Impact is both a noun and a verb, and despite what the dictionary says (common (mis)usage got the best of the writers apparently), impact as a verb means physical contact. The car slid off the icy road and impacted the tree. NOT A poor housing market has impacted the economy. A poor housing market can HAVE a negative impact, but not impact by itself. Sports casters misuse this word constantly!! Player X's injury impacted the team. HOGWASH!! They must think it makes them sound more authoritative or some such thing.

(3) Splitting infinitives. Good Lord, talk about LAZY. I know it is something we all do, but it has gotten so far out of hand.... Wayne Gretzky is the greatest to ever play the game. ARGH! It should be: Wayne Gretzky is the greatest ever to play the game. Same type thing happens when an adverb gets shoved in there for effect: Wayne Gretzky is the only player to consistently score 200 points. ARGH!! WG is the only player to score 200 pts consistently!! ffs

and finally....

(4) the (mis)use of the word "that". I dare anyone to pay close attention to any conversation..could be yours, someone else's, watching tv, etc...listen for the word "that". Ex. I asked my friend and he said that I can borrow his car. In THAT sentence (proper usage ftw ), the word "that" isnt necessary. Remove the word, and say the sentence again. Flows much more smoothly, no? PLUS, it is correct grammatically. (NOT grammatically correct lol). Ill bet if you kept accurate count of the misuse of "that" in a day, youd hit triple digits EASILY. As opposed to easily hitting triple digits I suppose .
    And, while Im on the subject, 'that' refers to a thing. So (that) when you say: Wayne Gretzky is the guy THAT set the single season points record, you SHOULD be saying: WG is the guy WHO set the single.... We can leave 'who vs whom' for another time

This was fun!

Dobber Sports Deity

This thread makes me head hurt.

I git right some smarter each time I read it!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

When the **** did "ice Q" become a thing? Ice Q, compete level... how many more completely stupid expressions do we need?
    GO WINGS!

The Great One

You should start a thread about common writing mistakes.

I know I could learn a thing or two.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Smile

If I hear "my bad" one more time, I'm going to "loose" it! Nothing makes me laugh harder than being called a "looser" by some troll on the interweb thingy.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    And people make fun of me for reading Star Wars novels.
    You do? I've been reading them myself this year. Reading them in chronological order. I had been looking for another fantasy series to read and decided to tackle this huge 'project'.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

BTW, I have guidelines for all of my writers for terms that I would like used - as well as explaining hyphens . But some words are defined by site or by company. I use "midseason", The Hockey News uses mid-season, for example.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Mind of Milbury - (4) the (mis)use of the word "that". I dare anyone to pay close attention to any conversation..could be yours, someone else's, watching tv, etc...listen for the word "that". Ex. I asked my friend and he said that I can borrow his car. In THAT sentence (proper usage ftw ), the word "that" isnt necessary. Remove the word, and say the sentence again. Flows much more smoothly, no? PLUS, it is correct grammatically. (NOT grammatically correct lol). Ill bet if you kept accurate count of the misuse of "that" in a day, youd hit triple digits EASILY. As opposed to easily hitting triple digits I suppose .
    Disagree. I often go back into my work and add a "that". I think the absence of 'that' makes it look as though a child wrote it. Either have the word "that" there, or put what he said in quotes.

And, while Im on the subject, 'that' refers to a thing. So (that) when you say: Wayne Gretzky is the guy THAT set the single season points record, you SHOULD be saying: WG is the guy WHO set the single.... We can leave 'who vs whom' for another time
    Agree. Yes, this is a huge one for me. I can't stand seeing it.

Banned

who vs whom is a snap...they're just pronouns that mean the exact same thing.

If you are referring to the subject of the sentence it is always WHO':

who is it?
    who is coming to the party?
    who's yo daddy?

WHOM always refers to the object of the sentence:

For whom the bell tolls.
    Whom do you like better? Dobber or McGoo?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Try living in Oklahoma...

I'm fixin to go eat.

Or "do what" which means I did not hear you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by plug View Post
    Try living in Oklahoma...

I'm fixin to go eat.

Or "do what" which means I did not hear you.
    no no, that's not 'quite' correct, it is pronounced

Do Hwhat?