Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My latest language pet peeve

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    are you the same person as sentium?
    No, when the nickname was change to Dakkster a parallel universe was created and here we are now.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    No, when the nickname was change to Dakkster a parallel universe was created and here we are now.
    I miss my buddy Sentium..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Guru

The last year I've been on a crusade to make my students read more books. Reading has gone down drastically over here and there's a clear correlation between lower language skill and lack of reading. The more you read proper books (mainly fiction), the better you get at spelling, at picking up information, at understanding people, etc.
    I'm 100% with you on this one! Especially regarding fiction -- which is being completely degraded in American curriculum. New standards push non-fiction texts like crazy. Even English teachers are being pushed to replace novels with non-fiction. Sad. Very sad to me.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The thing is that reading fiction helps you read non-fiction better.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ninja

And people make fun of me for reading Star Wars novels.

I agree in part, insofar as an acknowledged differentiation between formal and informal language.

formal language 1

n

Definition:

any language that is ceremonial or using a "high" register or hard words, such as a sermon, lecture, or poetry
    Given that, I agree, rules apply. Especially, also, calculus, computer programming etc...

However....informal speak tends to rightfully employ shortcuts (abbreviations and contractions), in addition to colloquialisms and ellipses. All of which while not formal have purpose in the conveyance of one's message.

Nowe out wrighte musspellengs....thatz anothur storee.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Another point: Journalistic writing quality has gone down in general in the last decade, but I don't think that's reflective of the writers' ability, but rather the fact one of the first things that get cut in the budget is the proofreader. The journalist has to be his or her own editor. The internet boom and subsequent fall of newspapers put a squeeze on newspaper/site budgets all around.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Always liked this joke.....

The New European Language!!!

The European Union commissioners have announced that agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for short).

In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c." Sertainly, sivil servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be replaced with "k". Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik emthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced by "f". This will make words like fotograf" 20 persent shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of silent "e"s in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by "z" and "w" by " v".

During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou", and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer.

Ze drem vil finali kum tru.
    UFHP - Y! 12 GMs - 23/8 pro/farm - keep 17 + all farm
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, FW; GS, W, L, GA, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backstrom, Crosby, Little, Zetterberg, Rask
    LW: Foligno, Ehlers, Skinner, Hartnell, Jokinen, Ladd
    RW: Tarasenko, Kessel, Nash, Marner
    D: Keith, Karlsson, Klingberg, Werenski, Barrie, Manson
    G: Price, Murray, Andersen

Farm:
    C: Keller
    LW: Fiala, Heinen
    RW: Gurianov
    D: Sergachev, Beaulieu, Manning, Borowiecki
    G: Forsberg, Driedger

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I HATE the use of the word "compete" by hockey fans. It's ONLY hockey fans that use "compete" as a goddamn noun. Ignorant, lazy shit. **** you, Mike Babcock and Pierre McGuire for making it ubiquitous.

"He has lots of compete." sounds so damn ******ed I don't even know where to begin.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    I agree in part, insofar as an acknowledged differentiation between formal and informal language.

Given that, I agree, rules apply. Especially, also, calculus, computer programming etc...

However....informal speak tends to rightfully employ shortcuts (abbreviations and contractions), in addition to colloquialisms and ellipses. All of which while not formal have purpose in the conveyance of one's message.

Nowe out wrighte musspellengs....thatz anothur storee.
    I approve of this post.

There is a time and place for immaculate pronunciation and grammar. Sometimes you just need to throw a guy a bone, not everyone is or needs to be a grammatical wizard to convey their thoughts, needs, intentions, etc.

I HATE the use of the word "compete" by hockey fans. It's ONLY hockey fans that use "compete" as a goddamn noun. Ignorant, lazy shit. **** you, Mike Babcock and Pierre McGuire for making it ubiquitous.

"He has lots of compete." sounds so damn ******ed I don't even know where to begin.
    I am on your side 100% with this one though. Grabbing a word and giving it a whole new meaning?

"This players compete level...". WTF is a "compete level"? How about, "This players competitive level..."

I am not even close to a pro when it comes down to grammatical nature but some things just do not sound appropriate.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by TheRook View Post
    Always liked this joke.....

The New European Language!!!

The European Union commissioners have announced that agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for short).

In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c." Sertainly, sivil servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be replaced with "k". Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik emthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced by "f". This will make words like fotograf" 20 persent shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of silent "e"s in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by "z" and "w" by " v".

During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou", and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer.

Ze drem vil finali kum tru.
    I have always enjoyed this one as well.

I realy kanot help but speak zis story wiz a German akcent once I get into ze depz of it.
    Last edited by hockeymanG23; July 1, 2013 at 6:59 AM.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post
    I am on your side 100% with this one though. Grabbing a word and giving it a whole new meaning?

"This players compete level...". WTF is a "compete level"? How about, "This players competitive level..."

I am not even close to a pro when it comes down to grammatical nature but some things just do not sound appropriate.
    I agree. The first time I heard this it sounded bizarre to me. It still sounds wrong.

Administrator

I am e-literate and therefore illiterate.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Banned

What about when people don't hyphenate a word that should be? For example, how often do we see posts on these forums where they say 'resign' instead of 're-sign'?

Dobber Sports Ninja

I guess it's a good thing that some folks care about grammar and spelling or clearly we'd all be in the dark ages now banging rocks together to try and make fire.