Thread: Team Audit - Rep for help

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Team Audit - Rep for help

Hey guys,

Looking to get a feel for where I should take this team. It's a little old for my liking. Here's the setup. 28 team league, full keeper, 3 round prospect draft each . Start 6F, 4D, 1 G. "Prospects" include any players under 100GP or goalies under 75 GS.

G: 1 pt
    A: 1 pt
    +/-: .2 pts
    SOG: .1 pt
    PIM: .2 pts/ea
    ==============
    SV: 0.05 pts
    GA: -.20 pts
    W: 2 pts
    SO: 1 pt

Here's my team:

Forwards: Kopitar, J. Carter, Burrows, Briere, Hagelin, Couturier, Cooke, Grabner, Downie (IR), Wingels, C. McLeod and Condra

Defense: M. Staal, Hamonic, Vlasic, K. Foster, E. Brewer

Goalies: K. Lehtonen, J. Theodore (IR), Clemmensen.

Prospects: C. Bourque (write-off), T. Hartikainen (write-off), Omark, Larsson, Pulkkinen, Kampfer, Joni Ortio (G), Kent Simpson (G), 2 empty spots.

Picks: 1st (15th overall), 1st (24th overall), 2nd (41st overall), 3rd (69th overall)

Obvious problems I see are: not enough D-men, and the ones I have aren't good enough, Theodore/Clemmensen are terrible, Briere may or may not be done for, and my prospects are a mess (Couturier and Hagelin "graduated").

Anybody see any quick fixes? Trade targets?

Dobber Sports Expert

Any goons should be your target. .2 pts for a PIM is a lot!! Players that rack up points and PIM are gold in your format.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Your prospects aren't great, but you D seems ok. Hamonic may be due for a nice uptick w/o Streit and Brewer is old but decent enough. G is. Mess for you. I'm guessing there aren't any out there, so maybe fur ale at 15. Couturier might bring you a decent return in a deal, maybe Carter. Hopefully Larsson can ate a step forward this year to help your D. Possibly Reimer can be had on the cheap now that Hes 1B.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    Any goons should be your target. .2 pts for a PIM is a lot!! Players that rack up points and PIM are gold in your format.
    I think this is the best advice that could be given.

For a 26 team league, your not off. You don't really have any sell-high players, maybe Carter?

Maybe look for some buy-low candidates that you think you can get cheaply. Your going to have to look for GM's with preferences, either weak positions, or team-homers. Besides that there's no quick fixes.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Genius

Actually it's simple, work your tail off.

You need to win a bunch of small trades, to slowly upgrade. With 26 teams in the league, there are lots of trade partners. This means you are in position to "broker". You find a guy on the cheap from one guy and move him to another for a different value. Concentrate on winning little-by-little.

Get the best player in a deal. Acquire prospects and then package them up to get something bigger. Watch the teams that are re-building. Get in on the action when they have a fire sale. Make trade offers every week. Make offers that fill voids on other teams, then wrestle around with the problems you may have created for yourself. Serve the other guy! Target players that you think will rebound (buy low theory). Only acquire things that can be traded. Absolutely refuse a piece that you will struggle to move along. Insist on draft picks instead. Study VERY diligently. If you don't have cap, then usually getting more dollars in contracts is a good thing.

Study this way:
    - Project player totals for five years
    - subtract 35 points for a Forward, per year from the total
    - subtract 55 points for a goalie, per year from the total
    - substract 25 points for a D-man, per year from the total
    (These are the points numbers for the lowest usable player in the league. Eg. 26 teams with 4 D-men = 104 D-men. Therefore the 104th highest scoring D-man in the league got ?how many? points this year? Find the results for your league for these baseline subtraction numbers. This also helps you compare different positions and how the players values compare to each other, to a great degree).

Work, work, work!

(big secret, eh?)