Thread: Derek Stepan bridge or long-term?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Derek Stepan bridge or long-term?

Does Derek Stepan sign for Matt Duchesne Tyler Ennis type contract, or do the Blue Shirts lock him up long-term?

What type of contract do you see him signing?

Dobber Sports All-Star

Since its the Rangers and they don't trust Richards, I'd guess 6 yr at about 5.25 per
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

The Great One

Almost certainly a long-term deal, even if he wasn't on the Rangers (who, as we all know like to throw money around to players not nearly as good as Stepan).
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Veteran

I believe the Rangers have a history of playing hardball on RFA contracts. I don't remember the specifics but think Del Zotto had a bit of a fight last year. Callahan, Dubinsky and Staal didn't all get those really long deals (back when there was no limit).

The Great One

I say 3 years at 4.5M per

Dobber Sports Ninja

My bet is he gets a bridge.

Stepan ws Torts' golden boy, but with him out of the picture, I doubt AV will want to commit to anyone long-term until he has a good feel for what he's got.

Dobber Sports Genius

I'm guessing something a little bit in between. I think 4 years, maybe $18M.

Dobber Sports Sage

I think they go long term. I say 6 at 5per.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

The Great One

A 4 year deal will bring him to UFA status.

A 3 or 4 year deal will be 'cheaper' for the Rangers; 4-4.5M per, I'd say. If they are going long term 5+ years they will have to pay up for Stepans UFA years.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    A 4 year deal will bring him to UFA status.

A 3 or 4 year deal will be 'cheaper' for the Rangers; 4-4.5M per, I'd say. If they are going long term 5+ years they will have to pay up for Stepans UFA years.
    Great point.

Dobber Sports Stud

can anyone name the last RFA that Glen Sather signed to a mega year deal ?

I don't see Stepan being any different unless they are going to start breaking the trend

So as much as I would prefer to see Dstep signed long term my guess is he gets a bridge deal somewhere in the 2-3 million range

The kid has no leverage, well other than holding out... Perhaps the Ryan OReilly situation could happen but I don't see James Dolan pinching pennies on the kid. This is business after all.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

He'll get a bridge. For all of Slats' derping with other people's UFAs he's fairly conservative with his own young RFAs and goes out of his way to remind them that they have no leverage. I'd look in the neighborhood of what Del Zotto got, 2-3 years at roughly $2.5-3MM average. This would put him in line with what Callahan got coming out of his ELC as well.

Have to remember that Hagelin, McDonough and Zuccarello are all RFA's this year and need to be signed with raises, plus they either need to bring back Clowe (unlikely) or find some other sandpaper/grit player to take that spot they lost when Prust left town. With about $14MM in cap space to play with they can't throw out a big contract to one guy. The following year they only have four players under contract, Nash; Richards; Staal and Dorsett, so they need to tread lightly if they want to keep their core guys intact over the long term.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rangersfury View Post
    He'll get a bridge. For all of Slats' derping with other people's UFAs he's fairly conservative with his own young RFAs and goes out of his way to remind them that they have no leverage. I'd look in the neighborhood of what Del Zotto got, 2-3 years at roughly $2.5-3MM average. This would put him in line with what Callahan got coming out of his ELC as well.

Have to remember that Hagelin, McDonough and Zuccarello are all RFA's this year and need to be signed with raises, plus they either need to bring back Clowe (unlikely) or find some other sandpaper/grit player to take that spot they lost when Prust left town. With about $14MM in cap space to play with they can't throw out a big contract to one guy. The following year they only have four players under contract, Nash; Richards; Staal and Dorsett, so they need to tread lightly if they want to keep their core guys intact over the long term.
    I agree with this (other then the butchering of McDonagh's name ). I think a 2-3 year bridge deal makes sense for the rags, they will have a lot more cap flexibility after this coming season
    Last edited by wendelclark17; June 27, 2013 at 8:12 PM.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I meant to mention that those four signed long term right now eat over $20MM in cap space already, hence why they need to tread lightly. I realized my earlier statement didn't make sense in retrospect.

Dobber Sports Ninja

New York is probably going to keep Stepan long term. Once you name a bridge after someone, they gotta stay in town, otherwise they would have to rename the bridge.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket