Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Holtby or Bernier

Dobber Sports Genius

I have Bernier and I'm high on his ability. If I were starting a fresh league right now I would love to draft him but I couldn't justify taking him over Holtby if they are both available.

Holtby has played less games overall at the NHL level but he has put more games together in one season than Bernier has and has played great in them.

Would I be surprised if Bernier went on to be the better player? No, because he does have the skill to be a force in the blue paint. He just hasn't been as proven in the NHL making Holtby the safer, but still very talented choice.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Bernier for me.
    I'll play the fool.

Mostly... I prefer Toronto's defense over Washington's.
    Toronto is also going to spend cap money every year to build a contender and I much prefer TOR's division (BOS/DET... MON/OTT... BUF/TB/FLA) as compared to WAS's new division (PIT/PHI/NYR... NYI/NJ/CAR... CBJ).

This ain't the ol' cozy Southeast that Washington is playing in anymore.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    This ain't the ol' cozy Southeast that Washington is playing in anymore.
    Good point. Though I kind of disagree about the D. Leafs had the worst shot differential of any playoff team last year and they were pretty porous... WSH isn't much better, but overall I prefer them to TOR. Even if the D is a wash, I will take Holtby.

Good point about the new competition though. Definitely changes some landscape.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Good point. Though I kind of disagree about the D. Leafs had the worst shot differential of any playoff team last year and they were pretty porous... WSH isn't much better, but overall I prefer them to TOR. Even if the D is a wash, I will take Holtby.

Good point about the new competition though. Definitely changes some landscape.
    The reason Toronto gave up so many shots is because Reimer has the worst rebound control in the league and can't handle the puck. Bernier is almost like a 3rd dman out there with his handling of the puck. The shots against will take a drastic fall next year.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    The reason Toronto gave up so many shots is because Reimer has the worst rebound control in the league and can't handle the puck. Bernier is almost like a 3rd dman out there with his handling of the puck. The shots against will take a drastic fall next year.
    Hmm.. I'm not quite sold.. but we'll see. It will be an interesting battle, for sure.
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Hmm.. I'm not quite sold.. but we'll see. It will be an interesting battle, for sure.
    You mean a battle between Reimer and Bernier? I don't think there will be one to be honest.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    You mean a battle between Reimer and Bernier? I don't think there will be one to be honest.
    For some reason, I actually think there will be. He isn't that bad a goalie and I hope that the media, fans and organization don't quickly dump on him and give up on him simply because they went and got Bernier.

Raycroft was a lights-out goalie and they didn't do him any favours. Belfour set the W record and they were quick to shove him out of town too. Toronto eats its young needlessly...

I say encourage them both to reach for the stars and may the best man win. I honestly believe Reimer will give Bernier a run for his money. Bernier hasn't proven anything yet. I'm telling ya, I just get the feeling.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Administrator

Belfour set the W record and they were quick to shove him out of town too. Toronto eats its young needlessly...
    For some reason my brain can't get past this part.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    That is a good point, for sure.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    That is a good point, for sure.
    It is but I'm not sure Reimer had the worst rebound control in the LEAGUE. lol

I just think TOR isn't that good and Bernier is about to be tested. I can't wait.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    For some reason my brain can't get past this part.
    What do you mean? lol.

I'm just saying... If Reimer doesn't steal games in and games out, then he can't possibly be of starter calibre... It seems it's Vezina or bust for Leafs goalies... If Bernier doesn't steal the starting job next year and go 42-25 with a 935SV% and 8 SO, what, he's crap?!

I know it, we're gonna see him go 22-20 or something like that and they will be like "oh...well...he's not living up to expectations...." blah blah blah... lol. Same thing every year. All the hype gives him little chance to match it and pretty well destroys whatever confidence a pretty good year just placed in Reimer.

Just saying.. Reimer won't be a pushover and Bernier may not be Potvin 2.0.. Why so quick to chase Reimer out of town after a season where he showed he can steal quite the games?... 19-8-5 with a .924 SV% and 4 SO in 33 gms and he has to be sent packing or is immediately designated the backup to a guy who's never started more than 25 games in a year!? lol. ok...
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by shanny_drw View Post
    Im not sure if there was a post about his but i have to ask because i have a prospect draft coming up for a brand new league and both goalies are still considered prospects and i plan to pick one of them

With Bernier going to TO does that give him a leg up on Holtby? Or does Holtby, already being the starting goalie still rank higher?
    My opinion is Holtby but i want others opinions as well, what do you guys think?
    1. I believe Holtby is a better goalie than Bernier (and has done more to show this)
    2. I believe Reimer is a better goalie than Neuvirth, and more capable of "stealing" a number 1 job.
    3. I believe Washington is a better team than Toronto.

There's no way I even considier Bernier over Holtby.

Administrator

What do you mean? lol.

I'm just saying... If Reimer doesn't steal games in and games out, then he can't possibly be of starter calibre... It seems it's Vezina or bust for Leafs goalies... If Bernier doesn't steal the starting job next year and go 42-25 with a 935SV% and 8 SO, what, he's crap?!

I know it, we're gonna see him go 22-20 or something like that and they will be like "oh...well...he's not living up to expectations...." blah blah blah... lol. Same thing every year. All the hype gives him little chance to match it and pretty well destroys whatever confidence a pretty good year just placed in Reimer.

Just saying.. Reimer won't be a pushover and Bernier may not be Potvin 2.0.. Why so quick to chase Reimer out of town after a season where he showed he can steal quite the games?... 19-8-5 with a .924 SV% and 4 SO in 33 gms and he has to be sent packing or is immediately designated the backup to a guy who's never started more than 25 games in a year!? lol. ok...
    You mentioned Belfour and then said Toronto eats its young needlessly.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

I'd bet the safe money and go Holtby. He is on a better team and I don't think the gap in talent between him and Bernier justifies it that much. Especially since frankly, Reimer played pretty darn well this year and showed he is no pushover. Bernier may have hype and pedigree, but he hasn't played in Toronto yet.. He's gonna have to wrestle good for the starting job on an average TOR team.
    Is he really on a better team? They both had 57pts last year and Leafs will just continue to get better.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    Is he really on a better team? They both had 57pts last year and Leafs will just continue to get better.
    Caps started the season 2-8-1. They were fantastic after a brutal start. Took a bit to get used to the new coach methinks.
    And I'm not convinced the Leafs are on a major upward trend.

Time will tell, but I own Holtby and I wouldn't deal him for Bernier straight across. Not a chance.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev