Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Holtby or Bernier

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Holtby or Bernier

Im not sure if there was a post about his but i have to ask because i have a prospect draft coming up for a brand new league and both goalies are still considered prospects and i plan to pick one of them

With Bernier going to TO does that give him a leg up on Holtby? Or does Holtby, already being the starting goalie still rank higher?
    My opinion is Holtby but i want others opinions as well, what do you guys think?
    G / A / PTS / PIMS / +/- / PPP / SOG / Hits+Blocks/ TOI
    W / GAA / SV / SV%

Dobber Sports Wizard

Tough call. Holtby is the starter, but it's not like Washington hasn't had a goalie carousel. As strange as it may sound, I feel Bernier will be given every chance to succeed, perhaps ad nauseam. I am not sure Holtby has that kind of slack. As of NOW, Holtby is the choice, but I wouldn't be shocked to see that change super fast.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

The Great One

It would be quite the gamble to grab Bernier over Holtby at this point...as much as what One87 is saying is true, Bernier hasn't played a single game yet for the Leafs and Reimer is still there to fight for the starting job. Washington might go out and find a more established starting goalie, but if they don't, Holtby will be their guy.

If you are a gambler, go with Bernier, but the much safer choice is Holtby.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Star

Bernier is the hot pick right now, but he's more of a gamble than Holtby right now. The payoff might be bigger, as the Leafs will be a good team going forward, but the Caps aren't that bad a team either.

Because he's been the starter before, I'm going with Holtby. (I'm not much of a gambler).
    Weekly H2H points only (Year 9 - 2015-16)
    12 teams limited keeper (keep 6 + 1 Rookie)
    13 round draft - Unlimited Trades - No Waivers - No IR
    4 Team Playoffs (last 2 reg. season weeks)
    Rookies are 23 years old or younger in the draft year and never reached 60pts (forward), 40pts (defense), 25 wins (goalie)

Start : C RW LW Utility D D G

C - S.Stamkos, J.Thornton, K.Turris, D.Stepan
    LW - O.Palat, B.Saad, A.Burakovsky
    RW - B.Wheeler, T.Toffoli, C.Atkinson
    D - E.Karlsson, S.Gostisbehere, C.Fowler, A.Ekblad, A.Larsson
    G - C.Hellebuyck, D.Dubnyk, A.Niemi, K.Lehtonen

Dobber Sports Genius

Look at Holtby's starts this season and how much he started in the playoffs. He started 35 out of 48 games (one less start than Quick). The condensed schedule was the only reason he started as few as he did. I believe he started every playoff game too. Oates has stated through his starts that he doesn't have a 1A or 1B situation in WSH.

Bernier is not going to be given that kind of attention to start. It will be a 1A/1B situation. Bernier has proven less.

I would take Holtby over Bernier by a good amount at this point. Once Bernier cements starter status, then I'll reconfigure my take on this.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I have to go with Holtby here.. he clearly has the easiest path to be the clear cut #1 (if he already isnt).. I believe the Leafs were in on Bernier starting from last year and couldnt turn down that price to aquire him.. but by no means will he be handed the job.. Reimer had a pretty good season (even career with the leafs if you look at his stats) and will fight hard to keep his job.. most likely will be a 1A 1B split type season unless one guy completely outperforms the other, but that scenerio could go either way
    12 Team H2H Keep 6
    Scoring Cats - Players: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHG, GWG
    Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1G (locked in for the week)

C: Malkin, Kuznetsov, Larkin, Couture
    LW: Hall, DeBrincat, Fiala
    RW: Kucherov, J.T. Miller
    D: Theodore, Gustafsson, Pulock
    G: Hellebuyck, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

As your league-mate and someone drafting well after you I advise you to take the blue pill.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Only a fool would opt for Bernier here - so call me a fool. I can't argue one iota with the analysis put forth so far - it's spot on - but I would select Bernier because I believe he is simply the much better goalie and will prove to be so in the coming seasons.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Only a fool would opt for Bernier here - so call me a fool. I can't argue one iota with the analysis put forth so far - it's spot on - but I would select Bernier because I believe he is simply the much better goalie and will prove to be so in the coming seasons.
    I'm a fool too I guess cause give me Bernier and its not even close imo. He is the far superior goalie and it is not a 1A/1B situation in T.O. Nonis is just saying what he has to say! I don't know how many times I have to say this but Ill say it again Nonis has 0 faith in Reimer what so ever. He has done nothing at all since taking over as GM except try and get a replacement for Reimer! Now that he has done that you think there going to roll them out =. That is ridiculous. Reimer will not be in blue and white come November, Bernier is the man there period.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    I'm a fool too I guess cause give me Bernier and its not even close imo. He is the far superior goalie and it is not a 1A/1B situation in T.O. Nonis is just saying what he has to say! I don't know how many times I have to say this but Ill say it again Nonis has 0 faith in Reimer what so ever. He has done nothing at all since taking over as GM except try and get a replacement for Reimer! Now that he has done that you think there going to roll them out =. That is ridiculous. Reimer will not be in blue and white come November, Bernier is the man there period.
    Strong convictions, BBB. Can't say I'd be surprised. A ton of people saying Reimer has a shot at the starting gig, but if he was that secure why the total lack of vote of confidence from the GM to go out and get what many percieve to be a "franchise" goalie? Regardless, any hunches at to where you see Reimer getting shipped off to?
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Banned

goalies are unpredictable. all nonis did was double his chances of finding a true number one by trading for bernier. the cost was right and having a tandem helps his team now and one of them could pay off big down the road... maybe both pay off big and then the leafs have a moveable asset to play with in a year or two...

this situation reminds me of varly and neuvirth a few years ago... everyone thought varly was the guy, then everyone thought neuvy was going to be the guy, then everyone thought holtby would replace them both. four years later and the situation is still a little muddy. i think that anything can happen in toronto and to say with certainty one way or the other is impossible at this point. goalies are unpredictable!

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    Strong convictions, BBB. Can't say I'd be surprised. A ton of people saying Reimer has a shot at the starting gig, but if he was that secure why the total lack of vote of confidence from the GM to go out and get what many percieve to be a "franchise" goalie? Regardless, any hunches at to where you see Reimer getting shipped off to?
    I could see Edm or NYI. I see maybe in a bigger deal with the Leafs talking on DiPietro's contract and then buying him out. Leafs get Strome. Wang get's 24mil and Reimer?.

I don't know just spit balling but Nonis is working on lots of stuff.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I would pick bernier here too. The smart decision is on holtby for next year but after that I think bernier pulls ahead. So I am looking long term at who I think is the better tender.

I wouldn't trade my bernier for holtby right now. I take the gamble and stick with bernier.

I do think bernier will get the shot at the starter, at least the favorite going into camp. I think the contract that Bernier gets will speak volumes as to where the leafs see him. Not so much in money (which will play a part) but more importantly the years. If its a 1-2 yr deal then either side may not think he has the outright path to the starter but if it's 3+ then he will get every opportunity. If its short term, Reimer stays, long term he goes.
    UFHP - Y! 12 GMs - 23/8 pro/farm - keep 17 + all farm
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, FW; GS, W, L, GA, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backstrom, Crosby, Little, Zetterberg, Rask
    LW: Foligno, Ehlers, Skinner, Hartnell, Jokinen, Ladd
    RW: Tarasenko, Kessel, Nash, Marner
    D: Keith, Karlsson, Klingberg, Werenski, Barrie, Manson
    G: Price, Murray, Andersen

Farm:
    C: Keller
    LW: Fiala, Heinen
    RW: Gurianov
    D: Sergachev, Beaulieu, Manning, Borowiecki
    G: Forsberg, Driedger

Dobber Sports Master

I'd bet the safe money and go Holtby. He is on a better team and I don't think the gap in talent between him and Bernier justifies it that much. Especially since frankly, Reimer played pretty darn well this year and showed he is no pushover. Bernier may have hype and pedigree, but he hasn't played in Toronto yet.. He's gonna have to wrestle good for the starting job on an average TOR team.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Bernier seems to be the sexy pick right now, but I think I would roll with Holtby.. The young Capitals goalie is in a great spot right now.. He is on a good team and they seem to be figuring out Oates and his system..

Bernier will be the starter in Toronto.. I just think the Caps will be better then the Leafs, but thats just my opinion..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..