Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [Rumour] Hemsky to Ottawa? [More Speculation than Anything...]

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Smith has tailed off since the first half of 11/12. He does carry the puck well for a third liner and is good defensively. He doesn't really hit to hurt and takes a lot of bad penalties. Has great character and work ethic though. Oilers could definitely use him more than Ottawa who have their future C's locked up already IMO.
    But wouldn't a player like Hemsky hurt Ottawa's youth development? I mean, they've got 7-8 players that can play on the top 2 lines (9 if you add Latendresse, but I wouldn't): Spezza, Turris, Michalek, Alfie, Conacher, Zibanejad, Silfverberg and Neil... Adding Hemsky just bumps one of the kids down the depth chart, when they can produce Hemsky-like numbers at a fraction of his salary. Losing Smith means that they will also have a big hole on the 3rd line and I don't think any of the above players can fill that void (considering Neil already plays on the 3rd line).
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    But wouldn't a player like Hemsky hurt Ottawa's youth development? I mean, they've got 7-8 players that can play on the top 2 lines (9 if you add Latendresse, but I wouldn't): Spezza, Turris, Michalek, Alfie, Conacher, Zibanejad, Silfverberg and Neil... Adding Hemsky just bumps one of the kids down the depth chart, when they can produce Hemsky-like numbers at a fraction of his salary. Losing Smith means that they will also have a big hole on the 3rd line and I don't think any of the above players can fill that void (considering Neil already plays on the 3rd line).
    Assuming Alfredsson retires (but even if he doesn't), I think it works fine. I don't know who the 4th line centre will be, but I'm sure someone on the current roster can fill that role.

Michalek-Spezza-Hemsky
    Silfverberg-Turris-Zibanejad
    Conacher-Pageau-Neil
    Kassian-???-Greening
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Banned

Hemsky is only 29 years old. Adding him to the Top 6 would give the young forwards easier minutes and allow them to develop slowly. I don't think any of them can give 60 points which Hemsky could on a new team with relatively good health.

Conacher, Zibanejad, Silfverberg IMO are not Top 6 forwards yet. Especially Conacher who I don't see becoming a Top 6 ever. I also think Alfie is gone.

I don't think they'd have a big hole on the third line since Smith would be the 4th line centre in Ottawa this season. Pageau can replace his minutes and provide the team a lot more.

This being said the main rumor of Hemsky to Ottawa never actually included Zack Smith, he was just speculation.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Assuming Alfredsson retires (but even if he doesn't), I think it works fine. I don't know who the 4th line centre will be, but I'm sure someone on the current roster can fill that role.

Michalek-Spezza-Hemsky
    Silfverberg-Turris-Zibanejad
    Conacher-Pageau-Neil
    Kassian-???-Greening
    Zibanejad third line C, Pageau 4th line C with greening and Condra.

Dobber Sports Giant

Conacher, Zibanejad, Silfverberg IMO are not Top 6 forwards yet. Especially Conacher who I don't see becoming a Top 6 ever. I also think Alfie is gone.
    I was debating the validity of my argument if Alfie were to retire, but even if he were to be moved or walk away, I just don't see Hemsky putting up 70+ points like he once did. I must say that I am a fan of Conacher though... I can see him hit 50pts this year if he plays on the 2nd line, I can also see Hemsky putting up similar numbers on that same line. All bets are off if he were to play with Spezza though.

I see the Sens top 12 like so (with Alfie there or not)

Michalek-Spezza-Zibanejad
    Silfverberg-Turris-Conacher/Alfie
    Pageau(Conacher)-Neil-Greening
    Kassian-(Pageau)-Condra
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Banned

I was debating the validity of my argument if Alfie were to retire, but even if he were to be moved or walk away, I just don't see Hemsky putting up 70+ points like he once did. I must say that I am a fan of Conacher though... I can see him hit 50pts this year if he plays on the 2nd line, I can also see Hemsky putting up similar numbers on that same line. All bets are off if he were to play with Spezza though.

I see the Sens top 12 like so (with Alfie there or not)

Michalek-Spezza-Zibanejad
    Silfverberg-Turris-Conacher/Alfie
    Pageau(Conacher)-Neil-Greening
    Kassian-(Pageau)-Condra
    I wouldn't even count on Hemsky putting up 50-60 but that chances of him doing it are much higher than any of the young players. And if it didn't work out, his contract is done at the end of the year and all they gave up is Smith (in this hypothetical deal) who has basically been replaced already.

Having a vet like Hemsky as a top line RW comforts me more than having a second-year player playing in an unnatural position. But this may be the way the Sens have to go since Melnyk is currently a cheap bastard and the team is so good at drafting that he will try to win games in the most economic fashion.

Dobber Sports Giant

But this may be the way the Sens have to go since Melnyk is currently a cheap bastard and the team is so good at drafting that he will try to win games in the most economic fashion.
    Hehe AMEN to that! Nonetheless, I gotta give him credit for putting up such a solid team with so little assets. The coaching factor is to be considered as well, but apart from Spezza, Karlsson and Anderson; there isn't much star material on the team.

Minors: