Thread: Pat Kane + Conacher for Kessel and Brown (and shit...)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Pat Kane + Conacher for Kessel and Brown (and shit...)

Got this offer. I have Kane and Conacher. The league has the following skater categories: goals, assists, points, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHP, FOW, hits, blocked shots (haha, I ALWAYS write shits first) and giveaway/takeaway ratio. We DO NOT have shots as a category.

I haven't looked at how the numbers break down yet, just wanted to throw this out there to get a few reactions. Would you go for it? Kessel and Brown is a serious offer, but Kane is Kane and Conacher is an up and comer...

So... thoughts? Would you go for it? I'm going to crunch the numbers later, but for now I have to go drop the kids off at the pool (that means go number two in the bathroom btw).
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Alright, back in action!

Entered the numbers for this year into Fantasy Hockey Geek (had to take takeaways because takeaway/giveaway ratio wasn't available) and this is what shakes out:

For reference's sake, the top players in the league are, in order, Datsyuk, Ovechkin, Getzlaf, Toews, Kunitz, Stepan, Staal, Subban, Phaneuf, St. Louis.

The guys in this deal are Kane (14th), Conacher (245th), Kessel (23rd), Brown (62nd)

Fantrax has its own ranking system that ranks them as follows: Kane (26th), Conacher (267th), Kessel (39th), Brown (81st).

Obviously it's not that simple. I'm thinking about projections and even though Kane is the sexier name, I think he and Kessel will be damn close in numbers over the next two years. Both of them took steps forward this year and while Kane is definitely the more skilled guy, it just doesn't always translate into actual numbers. But I would hate to give up on a 90-95 point guy and "just" have an 80 point guy in return. Then there's Conacher, who I think is looking like a solid 40-50 point guy over the next two years with interesting peripherals. He won't get the hits Brown does, but he has a temper. Brown is the hardest to pin for me. 50 to 60 with a crapload of hits.

Logic tells me I should go for Brown and Kessel, but Kane is one of my favorite players. I have a deep team and at the deadline I got Beauchemin, Luke Schenn and Matt Martin to help my hits and blocked shots and they really did in the playoffs. As for team needs, I was 2nd in goals, 1st in assists and points. I think I was 3rd in PPG and 1st in PPA. 4th in hits.

Rambling now. What do you think?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Over 60 views and not a single response? Come on, guys!
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Kessel and Kane are very similar players and obviously Kane is the preferred option of the two. The differences between those two are marginal, whereas the differences between Brown and Conacher are huge.

I'd make this deal for the additional stats Brown brings to the table.

Dobber Sports Guru

Even though I prefer Kane to Kessel I think that Brown is enough of an upgrade on Conacher to justify making the deal.

Dobber Sports Guru

I think that's great value for Kane. Kessel is fairly close to Kane in value and production and Brown is big upgrade over Conacher. Brown is beast in formats with hits as a category.

However, you seem to have a great and very deep team. So you certainly don't seem to have any need to make any deals. Keeping the best player makes a lot of sense then. I think my advice would be to stand pat and instead of focusing on getting more depth, you should try to move some of your current depth for an upgrade at the top end of your roster.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Prodigy

i DONT think Kane and Kessel are close in comparison.... In fact i was just part of a brand new dynasty league 16 teams, Kane went in the 1st round and Kessel went in the 3rd. I would say no to this deal and look else where to gain the stats needed that Brown would bring in. I know when you break down the numbers you gain big on Brown over Conacher but next season that could be a lot different when all the young talent settles in Ottawa.
    G / A / PTS / PIMS / +/- / PPP / SOG / Hits+Blocks/ TOI
    W / GAA / SV / SV%

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by shanny_drw View Post
    i DONT think Kane and Kessel are close in comparison.... In fact i was just part of a brand new dynasty league 16 teams, Kane went in the 1st round and Kessel went in the 3rd. I would say no to this deal and look else where to gain the stats needed that Brown would bring in. I know when you break down the numbers you gain big on Brown over Conacher but next season that could be a lot different when all the young talent settles in Ottawa.
    You really cant compare your initial league draft to something like this. Stat catagories and total number of teams can differ value pretty quickly. All it takes is a run of goalies early on to push quality fantasy guys like Kessel down the draft list and skew his perceived "value".

Either way, I like this deal for you. Kane is the sexier name for sure but if you look at the numbers this deal is pretty lopsided to the Kessel/Brown side. If you take the emotional part out of this deal, it would appear to be an easy accept in my opinion. The emotional part makes it tough.

Personally, I would take it.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You really cant compare your initial league draft to something like this. Stat catagories and total number of teams can differ value pretty quickly. All it takes is a run of goalies early on to push quality fantasy guys like Kessel down the draft list and skew his perceived "value".

Either way, I like this deal for you. Kane is the sexier name for sure but if you look at the numbers this deal is pretty lopsided to the Kessel/Brown side. If you take the emotional part out of this deal, it would appear to be an easy accept in my opinion. The emotional part makes it tough.

Personally, I would take it.
    I like this assessment 100%. Emotions are tough to ignore, however in the end it is not the love of a player that makes you a champion...its making deals like this. DO IT!
    10 team, H2H Points, Limited Keeper (1C,2W,2D,1G,1 non G)

18 man roster plus 2 IR spots [20 total]
    start 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G; daily lineup changes

Stats: G,A,PPG,ENG,SHG,GWG,OTG,ShootOut Goals/Attemtps,Hat Tricks,+/-,FOW,PIMs,Majors,Misconducts,Hits,Blocked Shots
    Goalies Stats: W,Saves,Goals Against,SO

C: Tavares, Koivu, Backstrom, Johansen
    W: Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson, Komarov, Forsberg, Jenner
    D: Hedman, Ekblad, Niskanen, Yandle, Campbell
    G: Holtby, Schneider, Hammond
    IR: Anderson, Faulk

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by shanny_drw View Post
    I really don't see how you can say that?? In the last 3 years stats have been nearly identical. Neither take penalties, neither hit, neither block shots. To further embellish the fact...an argument could be made that Kessel has statistically been the better player over the course of those 3 years.

I should also add that by adding Brown's peripheral stats, you can drop your no point getters in Schenn and/or Martin and promote a point faring D in Schultz to more than make up the perceived point differences.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

given your stat categories, Brown is a very valuable guy. Kessel and Kane I would put close to even. if it was my team i would do the deal.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Today's news that Bryz is getting bought out throws a wrench into my plans. I was about to accept this deal but now I'm thinking that I should try to dangle Kane for a secure starting goalie.

The guy that made this offer to me has the following goalies: Rask, Rinne, Reimer, Luongo, Varlamov, Khudobin, Ramo Poulin, Wedgewood, Frazee, Kincaid

Any ideas?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Changed my mind and said yes anyway. Let's see if he's changed his mind. Even if Bryz turns into a ****load of drama and goes to the KHL, I'll just have to cross that bridge at that time. Thanks for the responses. Reppin' you as soon as I can!
    GO WINGS!