Thread: Buy Low and Sell High Candidates?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Buy Low and Sell High Candidates?

Just curious if you guys have some buy low candidates going into the summer? Who will you be targeting?

By the same token, who are some sell high candidates?

Guys I see that might be below value are guys like Kesler, Spezza, Granlund (seriously), Ward (along with most Hurricanes), RNH, Stastny

Sell highs might be Subban (still great player but probably won't sustain next season), Conacher, Kunitz, Niemi, Bobrovsky, Ladd

Feel free to add some to the list, maybe it will help to guide some trade talks. This could be especially useful in cap leagues, because some guys may be easier to get because they're coming into a raise (a guy like Eberle comes to mind). Thats another reason Subban may be a big sell high this summer as well, because he will be a lot tougher to move next summer with a $7mil+ contract hanging out there.....

Dobber Sports Padawan

Granlund, Cam Ward, RNH, Skinner, Lupul, Goligoski, Josi and Enstrom would be guys I'd be looking to target.

Sell high on Conacher, Parenteau, Dupuis, and Letang (mostly since I think he'll get traded).

Oh, and I wouldn't be selling Subban. He hasn't hit his peak yet.
    12 Team Keeper League, 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 1G, 6 BN, 3 IR
    Keep 20 players
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, L, GA, SV, SO

C: Toews, Skinner, Eller, Hertl, Granlund, Jenner, Lindholm
    LW: Boedker, Galchenyuk, Silfverberg, M. Richards
    RW: Yakupov, Nichushkin, Gaborik, Setoguchi, Niederreiter
    D: Karlsson, Subban, Goligoski, D. Kulikov, Carlson, Brodin, Trouba
    G: Price, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Initiate

Another sell high is Clarkson. He started out on fire then slowed down.
    UFHP - Y! 12 GMs - 23/8 pro/farm - keep 17 + all farm
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, FW; GS, W, L, GA, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backstrom, Crosby, Little, Zetterberg, Rask
    LW: Foligno, Ehlers, Skinner, Hartnell, Jokinen, Ladd
    RW: Tarasenko, Kessel, Nash, Marner
    D: Keith, Karlsson, Klingberg, Werenski, Barrie, Manson
    G: Price, Murray, Andersen

Farm:
    C: Keller
    LW: Fiala, Heinen
    RW: Gurianov
    D: Sergachev, Beaulieu, Manning, Borowiecki
    G: Forsberg, Driedger

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by TavesSoul View Post
    Granlund, Cam Ward, RNH, Skinner, Lupul, Goligoski, Josi and Enstrom would be guys I'd be looking to target.

Sell high on Conacher, Parenteau, Dupuis, and Letang (mostly since I think he'll get traded).

Oh, and I wouldn't be selling Subban. He hasn't hit his peak yet.
    With the new contract I think that Josi will be tough to buy low on, but I don't disagree with the rest of your buy lows.

In the same way that Josi is a tough buy low, I think Letang is a tough sell high. Everyone knows about his probable trade out of Pittsburgh and use that to lower his value in negotiations. I own Letang, so I know of that which I speak.

I'd like to add Parise to the buy low list. Last year at this time it was impossible, but his quiet year has brought down his value a ton. I think once he adjusts to life in Minny he will produce similar numbers to what we saw in NJ.

A guy I would be selling hard right now is Krejci. He does this every year in the playoffs, but he's not the same player in the regular season. I'm sure there's someone that would pay a ton for him in every league.

I also think Kunitz is a pretty good sell high. He could maintain his numbers for a bit, but if Crosby gets injured or if he prices himself out of Pittsburgh on his next contract he will fall hard.
    16 team, full keeper
    19 roster players, 15 prospects, 2 farm
    Stats: G, A, PPG, SHG, special teams assists, SOG, FOW, PIM, hits, BS, Tk, +/-, W, SO, saves, s%, GAA, SO saves

C: Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, H. Sedin, J. Staal, Hodgson
    W: Perreault, Atkinson, Dorsett, Jagr, Burrows, Zuccarello, Hagelin, Condra
    D: Karlsson, Keith, OEL, Hamonic, Gudas, Hejda
    G: Price, Rinne

Prospects: Lindholm, Cassels, Perlini, Vesey, Sheahan, Teravainen, Jensen, Ceci, Koekkoek, Emelin, Kulikov, Rundblad, Grubauer, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by bizzl View Post
    With the new contract I think that Josi will be tough to buy low on, but I don't disagree with the rest of your buy lows.

In the same way that Josi is a tough buy low, I think Letang is a tough sell high. Everyone knows about his probable trade out of Pittsburgh and use that to lower his value in negotiations. I own Letang, so I know of that which I speak.

I'd like to add Parise to the buy low list. Last year at this time it was impossible, but his quiet year has brought down his value a ton. I think once he adjusts to life in Minny he will produce similar numbers to what we saw in NJ.

A guy I would be selling hard right now is Krejci. He does this every year in the playoffs, but he's not the same player in the regular season. I'm sure there's someone that would pay a ton for him in every league.

I also think Kunitz is a pretty good sell high. He could maintain his numbers for a bit, but if Crosby gets injured or if he prices himself out of Pittsburgh on his next contract he will fall hard.
    First, I completely agree on both Parise and Krejci. Krejci doesn't play as well in the regular season as he does in the playoffs and I'd mortgage that as quick as possible. Parise will bounce back fine, and I really like what Minnesota is starting to build.

And maybe you're right on Letang. My thought is that someone will pay for him as a top 5 defenceman, and I'm not convinced he's that if he leaves. I think if you wait till he leaves, you'll get far less value. On the flipside, if he stays you'll be selling short so it's a terrible situation to be in.
    12 Team Keeper League, 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 1G, 6 BN, 3 IR
    Keep 20 players
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, L, GA, SV, SO

C: Toews, Skinner, Eller, Hertl, Granlund, Jenner, Lindholm
    LW: Boedker, Galchenyuk, Silfverberg, M. Richards
    RW: Yakupov, Nichushkin, Gaborik, Setoguchi, Niederreiter
    D: Karlsson, Subban, Goligoski, D. Kulikov, Carlson, Brodin, Trouba
    G: Price, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Sage

Buy low- Gaborik, MAF, Halak, Sequin, Nash, Loui Eriksson, Rinne

Sell high- Crawford, Perry, Getzlaf
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by pts9889 View Post
    Buy low- Gaborik, MAF, Halak, Sequin, Nash, Loui Eriksson, Rinne

Sell high- Crawford, Perry, Getzlaf
    Perry as a sell-high? He had a mediocre season.
    And Getz is very capable of repeating last year -- the buy low window on him might be over.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Perry as a sell-high? He had a mediocre season.
    Right- I don't think Perry is going to get near his Hart year which someone in your league is probably thinking he will. Last year his points per game and PIM average were slightly higher than his previous year. +/- was way up but goals and shots were a little down. I think his last two years is what you will get from Perry moving forward and his reputation is higher than that.

Getz is just a hunch.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Buy

Kovalchuk - He'll slip under the radar a bit but he's not exactly a buy low guy because his season wasn't bad. Still, for him he underachieved a bit (for him, anything below PPG is underachieving) and he's as close to a lock as you can get for a 70 point season. NJ is completely lacking in scoring threats so he'll see tons of ice-time and get plenty of chances.

Lupul - He'll slip under the radar because he hasn't been completely healthy in a while and only played like 11 or so games this season but he's been playing at over a PPG pace since joining the Leafs. Seems to have chemistry with that team and it's rounding out to a team with a good supporting cast offensively.

Spezza - Along the lines of the other guys, he will slip under the radar because he wasn't healthy for most of this season. He's also 30 and not a hot name even when he is doing his best. Still, he has the potential and capability to be a likely PPG candidate.

Gaborik - Seems to be over his injury problems and has played well for Columbus. He's not as good a candidate as these other ones I've mentioned (except maybe Lupul) but he's still a good option. 40 goal and PPG potential.

Enroth - If Miller gets moved only. Otherwise I doubt he'll have as much of a chance to take the reigns.

S. Mason - He has played well for Philly so far and has the potential as well as rookie season to suggest he can rebound outside of Columbus. Not worth paying a lot for but worth testing out.

Dubynk - He's a guaranteed starter and if you look at his stats he's posted decent stats on a crap team very quietly.

Eriksson - The guy was a 70 point forward before this season. Don't know why people are so sour on him.

Burns - One of the few D, W eligible players out there. Maybe the only one. Can play D or W and has a tendency to do well and put up points at both positions based on this season.

Perry - I doubt he'll revert back to Hart form but this is as low as he'll ever be to buy.

RNH - The kid had an amazing rookie season, amazing draft pedigree, and plays with maturing studs around his age. He's only 20 and hasn't even had a full season so I don't know why people are giving up on him easily.

Skinner - Similar thing as RNH. People being blinded by injuries.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Sell

Datsyuk - The guys up there in age and he might have several seasons left of great production but he's certainly not going to get any better and there's definitely an aging risk. Once players get to a certain age they get really hard to sell off too because nobody wants someone like that via trade.

St. Louis - Same really. Except he's even older so people might not even be willing to spend a lot to get him.

Kunitz - He's 33 and this season was his first season with the Pens above PPG and he's never had anywhere near that goal production. Just sticks out as a giant outlier in his career stat sheet.

Krejci - This guy always does well in the playoffs and never lights it up in the regular season heavily.

JVR - Others will disagree, but he's coming off his best season yet and that still wasn't anywhere near where he should be. People still have faith in him for some reason and his new start encourages that. I've watched him as a Philly fan for a long time and between that and my fantasy hockey instincts I think he's a sell high candidate.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by NewGarbageGoal View Post
    Buy

Kovalchuk - He'll slip under the radar a bit but he's not exactly a buy low guy because his season wasn't bad. Still, for him he underachieved a bit (for him, anything below PPG is underachieving) and he's as close to a lock as you can get for a 70 point season. NJ is completely lacking in scoring threats so he'll see tons of ice-time and get plenty of chances.

Lupul - He'll slip under the radar because he hasn't been completely healthy in a while and only played like 11 or so games this season but he's been playing at over a PPG pace since joining the Leafs. Seems to have chemistry with that team and it's rounding out to a team with a good supporting cast offensively.

Spezza - Along the lines of the other guys, he will slip under the radar because he wasn't healthy for most of this season. He's also 30 and not a hot name even when he is doing his best. Still, he has the potential and capability to be a likely PPG candidate.

Gaborik - Seems to be over his injury problems and has played well for Columbus. He's not as good a candidate as these other ones I've mentioned (except maybe Lupul) but he's still a good option. 40 goal and PPG potential.

Enroth - If Miller gets moved only. Otherwise I doubt he'll have as much of a chance to take the reigns.

S. Mason - He has played well for Philly so far and has the potential as well as rookie season to suggest he can rebound outside of Columbus. Not worth paying a lot for but worth testing out.

Dubynk - He's a guaranteed starter and if you look at his stats he's posted decent stats on a crap team very quietly.

Eriksson - The guy was a 70 point forward before this season. Don't know why people are so sour on him.

Burns - One of the few D, W eligible players out there. Maybe the only one. Can play D or W and has a tendency to do well and put up points at both positions based on this season.

Perry - I doubt he'll revert back to Hart form but this is as low as he'll ever be to buy.

RNH - The kid had an amazing rookie season, amazing draft pedigree, and plays with maturing studs around his age. He's only 20 and hasn't even had a full season so I don't know why people are giving up on him easily.

Skinner - Similar thing as RNH. People being blinded by injuries.
    Solid list. I hae a different opinion of Dubynk. I think he is about a top 20 goalie in the NHL, therefore generalizing a decent/average goalie.

Too many defensive failures with odd man rushes which is expected with such a young forward group and mediocre at best defensive core. If Dubynk had a better defensive team in front of him, he would be a great fantasy buy pick.

I have little faith in Edmonton significantly improving their defense to a degree where I would feel comfortable starting Dubynk any game. For next season Dubynk will be a 3rd string fantasy option, pre-selecting highly favorable matchups and hiding him on the bench far too often.
    Hockey
    12 Team Yahoo H2H standard scoring 1 year
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G
    G,A, PPP, SHP, Shots, +/-, W, L, Shutout

To be drafted.

Football
    10 team league. Standard Yahoo scoring. (Non PPR)
    Start 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex (WR/RB/TE) 1K, 1DEF, 1 defensive player

QBs: Wilson, Manning
    WR:V. Jackson, Patterson, Benjamin, Cooks
    RB: J. Charles, A. Morris, D. Martin, K. Davis, K. Robinson
    TE: Gronkowski, Cameron
    K: Novak
    DEF: Steelers
    IDP:Worrilow

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by msb View Post
    Solid list. I hae a different opinion of Dubynk. I think he is about a top 20 goalie in the NHL, therefore generalizing a decent/average goalie.

Too many defensive failures with odd man rushes which is expected with such a young forward group and mediocre at best defensive core. If Dubynk had a better defensive team in front of him, he would be a great fantasy buy pick.

I have little faith in Edmonton significantly improving their defense to a degree where I would feel comfortable starting Dubynk any game. For next season Dubynk will be a 3rd string fantasy option, pre-selecting highly favorable matchups and hiding him on the bench far too often.
    Dubynk's more of a long-term buy low kind of thing. I agree with you for this upcoming season, but any starter that's as young as he is that can post as solid stats as he does for a team that bad, well, I can't wait to see what he does in front of a good team.

Dobber Sports Guru

Sell high: The Sedins. Maybe not as high as a couple of years ago, but I think we'll see a downward trend with these guys for a couple of reasons.

One, they benefitted a lot from Vigneault's style of starting them in the offensive zone a lot. I believe they were top 10 for offensive zone starts the last couple of years. If Torts doesn't keep that up, we'll see a small decrease.

And two, their numbers are decreasing. Henrik Sedin's points and points-per-game has gone down in each of the last four season (he was on a 77-point season this past year). Same with Daniel, who was on a 70-point pace this past year.

I think they're now 70-point players, and should be treated as such. So if you know anyone in your pool who still think they're elite, I would try to deal them.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Veteran

I would try to buy low on Jamie Benn. Without the injury, he is a PPG player.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Initiate

Another solid buy low I forgot about earlier is Justin Schultz. The hype around him last year was monumental, as I'm sure we can all remember, but it was also totally unrealistic. He didn't perform badly this year, given the situation and the fact that he had never played an NHL game before. If an owner was expecting him to fulfill those ridiculous expectations he might have soured on Schultz and be willing to move him. He's on track and will be a solid NHL defenseman, so if you can get him I say go for it.
    16 team, full keeper
    19 roster players, 15 prospects, 2 farm
    Stats: G, A, PPG, SHG, special teams assists, SOG, FOW, PIM, hits, BS, Tk, +/-, W, SO, saves, s%, GAA, SO saves

C: Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, H. Sedin, J. Staal, Hodgson
    W: Perreault, Atkinson, Dorsett, Jagr, Burrows, Zuccarello, Hagelin, Condra
    D: Karlsson, Keith, OEL, Hamonic, Gudas, Hejda
    G: Price, Rinne

Prospects: Lindholm, Cassels, Perlini, Vesey, Sheahan, Teravainen, Jensen, Ceci, Koekkoek, Emelin, Kulikov, Rundblad, Grubauer, Kuemper