Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Kesler? Crystal ball... REP given

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Ryan Kesler? Crystal ball... REP given

Hey DobberNATION.

I just acquired Ryan Kesler, I like him as a player BUT are his best fantasy days behind him? Can he bounce back to being relevant? What are some projections for next year and the year after...

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I feel, if healthy, Kesler can have a huge bounce back year.. I like his chances even more if Torts is named head coach of the Canucks..

He had 13 points in 17 games last season. I can see him getting 60-65 under Torts this season.. I also think he is going to want to play for team USA, so he is going to be in great shape going into this season..

What are your stat cats in your league??

Good pick up nonetheless!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Novice

if he can come back and stay healthy he should be at least 50 points. i think depending on what coach gets hired and whether the nucks finally get a quality player to play on his line he could get 60 plus but if your thinking 75 plus keep dreaming unless he becomes the winger for the twins. on the plus side though he does play in all situations so depending on ur league stats he could be gold
    full keeper w/optional draft yearly (drop 3)
    10 teams 22 player rosters
    points for g, a, ppp, shp, hits, blocks, gwg, w, sho, gs
    c: eichel, Zibanejad, Draisaitl
    lw: Panarin, bratt, Debrincat
    rw: kucherov, Pastrnak, keller
    d: dahlin, Josi, Heiskanen, Hamilton
    g: Shesterkin, Georgiev
    bench: bouchard, korchinski, cooley, Schmid, kovalenko

Dobber Sports Padawan

Kesler still has the potential to be a multi-cat stud in fantasy, he's only 28 and given the shake ups in Vancouver I'm excited to see what happens. I feel that Torts coming to town benefits Kesler the most. He was one of the few members of the Canucks who really took the responsibility on his shoulders and gave it his all, and paid for it with injuries. Hopefully some more accountability will see the load shared amongst the team and a resurgence of Kesler.

Personally I think it's a great time to buy low on him, it's a great bet for potentially huge payoff.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Lots of injuries plus Tortorella demanding defensive accountability= who the heck knows? So many variables here. If you pin me down on it, I could certainly see him scoring 35g and 70 points but would not be surprised if he only posted 50-55 either. He's a good goal scorer who can play fairly well defensively, so with Torts at the helm, it's tough to say which side of the ice he'll spend most of his time on.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Kesler has a full offseason of being healthy. I think he will come into camp ready to go. I don't think Tortorella will be a negative influence on Kesler's potential. Tortorella will have a different system in place than he did in New York. Remember that Stepan flourished under Tortorella as the 2nd line C, while still playing responsible defense.

Furthermore Booth will be (hopefully) 100% healthy and ready to start the season on Kesler's line. If he is, I think he will be a big sleeper pick for the Canucks and put up good numbers. He is a proven goal scorer, new coach and new system for him, it's almost like being traded to a new team. (Since he has played in very few games over the last two seasons).

I put Kesler at 65-75 points in 80 games.
    Hockey
    12 Team Yahoo H2H standard scoring 1 year
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G
    G,A, PPP, SHP, Shots, +/-, W, L, Shutout

To be drafted.

Football
    10 team league. Standard Yahoo scoring. (Non PPR)
    Start 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex (WR/RB/TE) 1K, 1DEF, 1 defensive player

QBs: Wilson, Manning
    WR:V. Jackson, Patterson, Benjamin, Cooks
    RB: J. Charles, A. Morris, D. Martin, K. Davis, K. Robinson
    TE: Gronkowski, Cameron
    K: Novak
    DEF: Steelers
    IDP:Worrilow

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by dongjohnson View Post
    Lots of injuries plus Tortorella demanding defensive accountability= who the heck knows? So many variables here. If you pin me down on it, I could certainly see him scoring 35g and 70 points but would not be surprised if he only posted 50-55 either. He's a good goal scorer who can play fairly well defensively, so with Torts at the helm, it's tough to say which side of the ice he'll spend most of his time on.
    This is one the best 2 way forwards in the game when he's healthy and won the Selke Trophy in his most productive fantasy year, I don't see how increased defensive accountability could possibly harm Keslers value, it increases it, especially in multi-cat leagues.

Tort's should play right into his style and more importantly, demand it of other's on the team.

Dobber Sports Veteran

If healthy 62-68pts. I think Torts will use him a lot.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Pro

I would love to see him put up some points, I may end up keeping him
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Master

I think what you see now is what you'll get in the future. He's fragile but can be productive when he is healthy. I'm curious what you had to pay for him as I wouldn't be giving up too much as he's too risky.

Dobber Sports Stud

His value really comes as a multi-cat player, if it is a points-only league, less so..

Depending what you paid, he's not a bad player, I would just be worried about his health and whether they have caught up with him..
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Guru

I think you are looking at somewhere around 65 pts for each of the next 2 seasons assuming he plays 80 games.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

i think you should expect somewhere in the 70 pt range (prorated). he does play first PP with the Sedins and his linemates are as good as they have ever been, but he seems to a bit of a bandaidm so maybe 65-70 games. A valuable guy as long as you have enough IR spots.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Maybe I'm biased because I'm a Canucks fan and I watch them more than any team, but I think Kesler is a stud. Real life and fantasy (obviously depending on categories - if you have HIT/BLK he becomes even better).

Personally I think he should be the Canucks' captain - more grit and leadership by example than Henrik Sedin. Henrik is a good captain, don't get me wrong, but I would have liked to see Kesler have the opportunity to light a fire under the team's butt verbally and emotionally on the ice, rather than Sedin leading by sportsmanship example.... It's not like their PP helped them out 2 years ago in the Cup Finals!

Anyways, back to Kesler as a fantasy player...
    I think he's good for 25 goals, 40 assists at the bottom of the scale, and possibly 30-37g, 42-48 assists on the higher end, depending on what bonehead GM Mike Gillis decides to do at the draft via trade, and in Free Agency.

I think Tortorella as coach does nothing but help Kesler. Kesler is like the Ryan Callahan of the Canucks, or perhaps Derek Stepan. Both were fav's of Torts and got to play a ton of minutes in every situation. I think Kess will benefit from this and this will get his minutes up.
    And don't forget, Torts isn't afraid to shake up lines. We could see Kess on the RW with the Sedins, or heck, Torts wouldn't be afraid to do what Vigneault didn't - split up the Sedin Twins and put Daniel on Kesler's line!

All in all, I'm keeping Kesler in most leagues, unless you have a huge logjam of talented centers.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

With Torts driving the bus I think the sky is the limit for Kesler and could even see him ousting the Sedins off the top line. Look at the crazy shit that went down in the playoffs with Torts and Richards. Now I'm not saying this is going to happen but the potential is there. Hank and Danny are not that defensive and Kesler is, so he could get better starts in ALL situations.
    60-70 point potential IMO
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 13 players and 1 Goalie , +4 Young Keepers (players with less than 165 NHL games played -last season). Points for G (2), A (2), Hit (.2) SHP(1), Blocks (.2), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - E.Malkin, R.Getzlaf, J.Pageau, J.Toews, P.Danault, J.Marchessault

LW - B.Marchand, C.Keller, J.Guentzel, K.Connor,N.Gusev, J.Zucker, T.Toffoli, D.Kubalik

RW - A.DeBrincat,, V.Tarasenko, M.Hoffman, V.Olofsson, K.Yamamoto, R.Strome

D - T.DeAngello, T.Krug, Q.Hughes,E.Gustafsson, M.Borowiecki, J.Muzzin, S.Theodore, J.Klingberg, O.Klefbom

G - S.Bobrovski, F.Andersen, B.Bishop, I.Shesterkin