Thread: Fleury/Vokoun for Varlamov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Fleury/Vokoun for Varlamov

In my 14 team salary based pool, I am trying to trim my payroll because next season the cap will be at 64.3. Teams around the league know I need to cut down salary so 1 team approached me with this proposal:
    My Fleury-5mil./ Vokoun 2mil.
    For Varlamov 2.85/ Adam Larsson 925K.
    Looking at this proposal I am leaning towards doing it cause I am saving 3.something. As for goalies I already have Rinne and Lehner on my active roster. As for D I decided to drop current RFA Muzzin, so that opens up a spot and I am in the market for depth D, Larsson got potential and he is RFA in 2014 so he might want to prove something. We are allowed to start 4 D and I have Green/Weber/goli/Diaz.
    Any thoughts if I should do this trade?

I forgot to mention we start two goalies and the point system is two points for a win and 5 points for a shutout.

Dobber Sports Giant

I say trim your cap elsewhere. As much as I would want to buy-low on Varlamov, Fleury is wayyyy too much to give up at the moment, let alone Vokoun. You are giving up a top NHL tandem in exchange for a most likely promising goalie with one of the weakest D's in the league. The Penguins will keep on winning games and their goalies are bound to get multiple shutouts; I'm not sure I can say the same about the Avs...

If you must start 2 goalies on top of that, keeping Fleury or acquiring another top 10 starting goalie is a must. Having 2 top 10 starters in a 14-man pool is gold! However, to get a more complete answer, we would need to know more about your team roster and the pool's scoring categories.

What are the overall scoring cats for all the other positions? If you only have 2 for goalies vs 9 for players for example, then getting Varlamov becomes a bit more interesting. If your goalie categories account for 30% or more of the overall scoring cats, I think you must keep Fleury.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

We start 9fw 4d and 2 goalies. The point system is G/A/P/PP/GWG/PIM/Hits/Goalie wins/shutouts. It's one of those pools where it's .2 for PIM and .2 for hits. It's very technical. So we start 15 and have 5 bench players. Right now I have 4 active goalies like I mentioned and I am about 7 million over the cap but I have 1 free buyout amnesty which I plan to use on stastny at 6.6 and I have Dupuis pending ufa and henrique pending Rfa. Losing the Pitt tandem I save and I get varly solid number two behind my rinne and I have top prospect lehner as my number 3. Any more thoughts if I should do this trade or not.

Dobber Sports Giant

1 more question:

Can you give me the point breakdown for each scoring category? I have this until now:

G:
    A:
    P:
    PP:
    GWG:
    PIM: 0.2
    HITS: 0.2

W: 2
    SO: 5
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

G,a,p is 1. Pp is .4 so it's 1.4. there is also plus minus which is .5 but if your player is a minus 1 for the game then you lose .5. Goalies get a point also for overtime loss. That's the breakdown.

Do I do this trade or do I try to counter straight up fleury/vokoun for varly and save just over 4 million.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by JEMS View Post
    G,a,p is 1. Pp is .4 so it's 1.4. there is also plus minus which is .5 but if your player is a minus 1 for the game then you lose .5. Goalies get a point also for overtime loss. That's the breakdown.
    G: 1
    A: 1
    P: 1
    PP: 0.4
    +-: (.5)
    GWG: ?
    PIM: 0.2
    HITS: 0.2

W: 2
    SO: 5
    OTL: 1

Ok so you have a little more than 25% of your overall stats associated to your goalies. That being said, here is the breakdown for what you are giving up vs what you are getting based on last year:

Fleury: 23W = 46pts, 1SO = 5pts, Total: 51pts
    Vokoun: 13W = 26pts, 3SO = 15pts, Total: 41pts

Varlamov: 11W = 22pts, 3SO = 15pts, 3OTL = 3pts, Total: 40pts
    Larsson: 6A = 6pts, 6pts = 6pts, +4 = 2pts, 37hits = 7.4pts, 12PIMS = 2.4, Total: 23.80pts

92 pts for Fleury side (7M) vs 63.80 pts for the Varlamov side (3.78M)
    13.14 pts per million vs 16.88 pts per million

It would seem like the Varlamov side is more economical, as you get more points for your buck. Keep in mind that Varlamov and the Avalanche had a year to forget and the Pens had a memorable one. I don't not think Larsson will ever be a top fantasy contributor, but I do know Varlamov has alot of potential. That being said, I would be inclined to make this deal statistically speaking. However, we are talking about Pittsburgh's goalie tandem here... you have got to be able to fetch more than Varly and Larsson on the open market IMO.

Minors:

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Trim cap elsewhere.
    I'd consider straight-cutting Goligoski. Doesn't he make about $3m or $4m.
    With Gonchar in town, his output might be even less than it has been.

Fleury/Vokoun is still good for wins, GAA.
    Varlamov is good for almost nothing with that horrible COL defense in front of him.

Whatever it takes... keep that PIT duo.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Trim cap elsewhere.

Fleury/Vokoun is still good for wins, GAA.
    Varlamov is good for almost nothing with that horrible COL defense in front of him.
    That's what I was thinking first as well, but there is no GAA, just WINS, OTL, SO.

I broke down the pts associated to all players and it's closer than we think. I just feel that he could fetch wayyyy more than Varly for that tandem.

Minors:

Dobber Sports Demi-God

For $7m, two roster positions, he'd get probably 54 wins (108pts).
    There is also ZERO goalie conflicts with the tandem, which is no points lost.

But it's really a 3-for-3 trade.
    Two goalies + one defenseman ($8m, say)
    vs.
    Two goalies + one defenseman ($8m, say)

Here's the other thing.
    New Colorado coach, Patrick Roy is an ol' Canadian goaltender who is very proud of his Stanley Cup rings.

Q: Do you know who else on the Colorado Avalanche is an ol' Canadian goaltender with a Stanley Cup ring?
    A: It ain't Semyon Varlamov.

Pittsburgh goalies are just guaranteed points.
    Varlamov is not.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm inclined to keep Fleury because he's a good regular season goalie. I would try and sell Vokoun when he's high (despite the fact that Vokoun only has a 2 mill cap hit vs Fleury's 5).

I think stability in goal is important and Fleury will get you a lot of wins.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Here's the other thing. New Colorado coach, Patrick Roy is an ol' Canadian goaltender who is very proud of his Stanley Cup rings.

Q: Do you know who else on the Colorado Avalanche is an ol' Canadian goaltender with a Stanley Cup ring?.
    A: Simon Val-Lamove?

Minors: