Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Hey Dobber

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Actually your wife is a 100% correct, Chinny. It does look shady and here's why.

Paypal will not pay money into Cambodia, I think it has something to do with world financial controls regarding money laundering particularly. The NGO in Cambodia has no overseas operation that can receive funds at this time, so donations from outside the country can only be made by bank transfer - which means the bank fees wipe out most small donations on their way in. So small donations have to be accumulated somehow and then bank transferred or carried in as cash (this will be the case here as I am going there on July 24th).

Now as a wicked twist, I have no way of actually taking money out of my paypal account - I can send it to others as a payment for something or donation but that is all I can do. It's because Korea does not allow expats the ability to tie their paypal account to their bank account, although Koreans can. For long term tax purposes, I closed my Canadian accounts more than 10 years ago - sooooo - when you guys donate to this cause, I need to come up with the cash to make the donation and then wonder how I am going to liberate the funds in my paypal account. Fun huh?
    Hey Shoe,

I want to make a donation but wonder if this is still causing an issue. Can I email transfer you the dough to avoid the paypal constraints? What works best. I'd be down for sure.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Hey Shoe,

I want to make a donation but wonder if this is still causing an issue. Can I email transfer you the dough to avoid the paypal constraints? What works best. I'd be down for sure.
    Hey Agentzero

I think this is the best way - this go around I am just going to carry the cash from my own bank account and then find the work around for later - I actually think I am onto the solution. So send away, with gratitude from this end.

shoeless
    Last edited by Shoeless; June 24, 2013 at 4:06 AM.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Rick, check your email and paypal if you already haven't Sunday (EST time). I'm sure you're being bombarded.
    Yeah I got it pal - I knew I missed a step somewhere - thanks for the reminder.

shoeless

Dobber Sports Demi-God

$931.39 is the cash you guys have entrusted me with to date. It will be safely in the ANZ Bank in Siem Reap, Cambodia by noon on July 25th.

Just got a note from the Associate Director of the Diabetes Clinic - here is what she said: 'I will start our list of patients to be covered by these donations - this is one of the best parts of working here ' Lorraine is a long term volunteer out of Australia - her husband who passed away in 2008 was the head of the World Health Organization Diabetes Program and so Lorraine traveled the world working with him in many developing countries for many years. Our funds are in good hands.

Maybe it's time to share a little about my involvement here - the diabetes thrust is fairly new for me in my work in Cambodia - it kind of happened serendipitously as a result of something else I was working on, but became a natural fit for three reasons. I. my kid brother is a severe type 1 diabetic 2. when I was in university I was the program director of a summer camp for juvenile diabetics (so type 1) over 3 years 3. my background in organizational development and business consulting is something they can use - they are experts in diabetes but ...... the project is so under resourced but they are working magic with what they have. My plan is to move to Siem Reap from Korea in February next year and give them a little more of my time and energy. I have started other activities there over the past 4 years that are likely more of a priority actually: a free school with 200 kids in a very poor rural area (almost in the shadow of Angkor Wat if you can believe it), a microfinance institution with three separate program thrusts and: I am taking the lead in developing a seed library network for the agricultural sector - food security is a big issue there. Anyway, this stuff is easy to do when you have partners like you guys on the Dobberhockey Forums who step up quickly and with some real energy - your financial contribution is important, but your moral support that comes with your contribution is huge too - something perhaps you don't think about when you push the paypal button. The Khmer people receive both of these gifts as if they come from the gods or from people who are like a god.

Now don't be going down the road of 'oh wow, shoeless is such a great guy' - trust me, it is all completely selfish - I am having the time of my life - it's not even about personal fulfillment really, it's just flat out FUN.

Let the Praba Campaign continue! (I'll get that bugger for starting this and leaving me with all the work )

Aw-koon ch'ran
    Last edited by Shoeless; June 24, 2013 at 9:31 AM.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Hey Agentzero

I think this is the best way - this go around I am just going to carry the cash from my own bank account and then find the work around for later - I actually think I am onto the solution. So send away, with gratitude from this end.

shoeless
    It's in your account, mon ami.

Ciao,

az
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    It's in your account, mon ami.

Ciao,

az
    Got it - thanks pal - makes a difference.

1am here - off to bed will update sometime tomorrow, folks.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

$968.49 (USD) - who's going to pop the top off the grand mark, huh?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

$1061.20 USD - nice uh!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

cant believe this thread generated over $1000, good job everyone.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    I can believe it but it is damn impressive. This community is full of great people. Yes, great job indeed!
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Giant

Wow... Just wow!!!

Nice work guys!

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    That's fantastic.

Mobilization, man. Good luck again, Shoeless.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yeah terrific response to a spontaneous fund raiser. Especially at a time of year when the board's slow down. Certainly speaks to the kind of folks we associate with.

We'll keep it going for a few weeks, I'm hoping to see a bunch more of those $10 bricks for the wall. Makes such a difference to the program we are helping.

Banned

hey Rick, been super busy lately and barely on the forums here so I missed this thread, this is awesome that you got such great response! I knew we had a good group of guys here but this is impressive, you should make this a yearly thing.

I'd love to chip in for the cause but as you may recall I don't have a PayPal account because I don't agree with their business practices so I don't support them. BUT, a good cause like this trumps all that so if you can send me a request for payment then I should be able to pay it via credit card without a PP account and circumvent all that

I think you have my email but if not just PM me!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I just got done on PayPal. It's not much, but I hope it helps!
    GO WINGS!