Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey Dobber

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    By the way, the individual I am working with in the NGO is getting blown away - kinda fun to see her reaction - really? fantasy hockey players?
    Hey man just cuz I'm chiseled Adonis-like male hard body often mistaken for Rob Gronkowski doesn't mean I'm incapable of empathy and compassion.

Brad Pitt too...yep.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Giant

Yup and in numbers it doesn't take a lot - $10 with a multiplier and we are buying them a portable heart monitor they also desparately need to take out into the jungle.
    Exactly!

By the way, the individual I am working with in the NGO is getting blown away - kinda fun to see her reaction - really? fantasy hockey players?
    Haha! Why, we can't be generous? LOL! She should be glad that we're able to give some of our winnings for the good cause!

Dobber Sports Stud

Well I don't know - the info is in the thread for the most part - is there anything you need from me besides that Mac? I have a short blurb that I prepared for Chinny that he tweaked and put on his facebook page - perhaps he could share that with you. But I will pm what I sent him anyway.

This is what i ended up posting

A friend of mine is looking for help to raise much needed funds to help diabetics in Cambodia to afford medication and health services. Rick is an expat Canadian in Korea, who has been working extensively with NGO’s in Cambodia over the last 4 years in the areas of education, food security, microfinance and health.

The incidence of diabetes, in the area Rick works, is disproportionately high and it is the second poorest province in Cambodia. A large percentage of the population is malnourished and those with diabetes suffer the double whammy. If one has a little money today, the decision is frequently – “so do I eat or buy medicine.”

Well, we can help – it costs on average $5 a month for medication – giving the recipients a much needed hand-up – so they can remain productive members of their family and community. Rick is facilitating smaller donations to this cause through his paypal account – presently there is no other means to contribute the $10 or $20 most folks feel they can, so as much as this is not the ideal donor route – it works and it really makes a huge difference to folks who deserve a chance at a better life.

Please consider a modest life-giving donation. Rick’s paypal account can be accessed at kordolphin at yahoo dot ca – account holder William Wakeman. It is important to Rick for the purposes of transparency and accountability that you send him a simple email advising that you made the donation.

also posted this link in the comments
    http://www.cdasiemreap.org/

as well as the quote that Shoeless has posted in this threat.

My wife thought it looked shady at first but said the additional comments helped make it look better.

Dobber Sports Stud

I also like to post it a different times of the day to try and the catch different times people check facebook!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I posted the blurb, Rick.

Are you on Facebook? Can I associate you with the post?

Thanks.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I have a payday coming up in a week. I'd be glad to chip in then
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    I posted the blurb, Rick.

Are you on Facebook? Can I associate you with the post?

Thanks.
    Hey Mac - I am actually preparing to drive a fundraiser for a microfinance program for rural women on my facebook page, so I think it might be best to keep it separate. I am still a little mysified at how facebook works too - not sure how the addled brain will function with multitasking facebook.

The funds will go to this organization so I wonder if this is a better link? https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cambo...006323?fref=ts
    Last edited by Shoeless; June 20, 2013 at 6:44 PM.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    I have a payday coming up in a week. I'd be glad to chip in then
    Thanks in advance Dakkster.

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

DobberHockey - Helps win fantasy hockey leagues
    Cash prizes from fantasy hockey leagues - Allows us to donate to a great cause
    DobberHockey - Allows us to donate to a great cause

Simple logic!
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Ace

Hey I'm up for doing my bit, do I need to specify the amount in dollars or just any currency and it gets converted once it gets to you through paypal??

(Sorry not made a donation this way before)
    12 Team H2H keeper league
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, Hits, GWG & SOG. W, GAA, SV% & SHO
    Daily changes, Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 6D 1F 2W 2G - 10 Bench

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
    Hey I'm up for doing my bit, do I need to specify the amount in dollars or just any currency and it gets converted once it gets to you through paypal??

(Sorry not made a donation this way before)
    Yeah you can donate in your currency and then I convert it on my end of things UKFLames. It's all pretty automatic and seamless. Really appreciate you kicking in. Remember to send me an email at [email protected] advising you made a donation - for transparency and accountability purposes I need to capture your email address which the paypal notification doesn't give me.

And no I am not compiling email lists for sale - the NGO we are working with does want to send you a note so I am providing them the route. Further to that, a followup at some point that lays out the impact of your donations makes a lot of sense - so often our coin goes into a great maw and we don't ever here what it did.
    Last edited by notch4077; June 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM.

Dobber Sports Stud

Yeah you can donate in your currency and then I convert it on my end of things UKFLames. It's all pretty automatic and seamless. Really appreciate you kicking in. Remember to send me an email at [email protected] advising you made a donation - for transparency and accountability purposes I need to capture your email address which the paypal notification doesn't give me.

And no I am not compiling email lists for sale - the NGO we are working with does want to send you a note so I am providing them the route. Further to that, a followup at some point that lays out the impact of your donations makes a lot of sense - so often our coin goes into a great maw and we don't ever here what it did.

I believe Shoeless' email is @yahoo, not @lyahoo, if anyone has any issues emailing him!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Chinny View Post

My wife thought it looked shady at first but said the additional comments helped make it look better.
    Actually your wife is a 100% correct, Chinny. It does look shady and here's why.

Paypal will not pay money into Cambodia, I think it has something to do with world financial controls regarding money laundering particularly. The NGO in Cambodia has no overseas operation that can receive funds at this time, so donations from outside the country can only be made by bank transfer - which means the bank fees wipe out most small donations on their way in. So small donations have to be accumulated somehow and then bank transferred or carried in as cash (this will be the case here as I am going there on July 24th).

Now as a wicked twist, I have no way of actually taking money out of my paypal account - I can send it to others as a payment for something or donation but that is all I can do. It's because Korea does not allow expats the ability to tie their paypal account to their bank account, although Koreans can. For long term tax purposes, I closed my Canadian accounts more than 10 years ago - sooooo - when you guys donate to this cause, I need to come up with the cash to make the donation and then wonder how I am going to liberate the funds in my paypal account. Fun huh?

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Chicleteur View Post
    Haha! Why, we can't be generous? LOL! She should be glad that we're able to give some of our winnings for the good cause!
    I think it has more to do with the concept of playing fantasy sports to new people who have never heard about it.

When I met her in person and Rick explained to her that "we met online via a group of people who for fun pick hockey players to make our "fantasy teams" and that the statistics they accrue determine the winners", it did sound pretty strange.
    Last edited by cdubb; June 21, 2013 at 8:11 PM.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by cdubb View Post
    I think it has more to do with the concept of playing fantasy sports to new people who have never heard about it.

When I met her in person and Rick explained to her that "we met online via a group of people who for fun pick hockey players to make our "fantasy teams" and that the statistics they accrue determine the winners", it did sound pretty strange.
    I think you are right cdubb - it's sorta like 'okay, these guys are aliens that do this stuff, but they sure are generous, so who am I to judge?'