Thread: Rookie outlook- Yakopov, Huberdeau, Galchenyuk

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Rookie outlook- Yakopov, Huberdeau, Galchenyuk

What do you guys think we can expect out of these 3.

Is Yakopov gonna be the next Maxim Afinogenov, great flashy russian that just does not stay. Or a Malkin that plays great but Crosby gets all the credit. Kovalchuk maybe back in the day with Savard and Heatley or Hossa.

Huberdeau with so much talent, but stuck in a small market. With lots of talent in the farm and a top pick coming, could he finally be the guy to make Florida a team to fear.

Galchenchuk, I like alot. Just having a hard time finding out his game, and where can he take it. Is he a 60 point guy or 100 point guy.

We are on to a new batch right away and I would appreciate opinions on the old batch because after a year I still do not know really how good or great these guys will be.

Thanks guys, just opinion of course nobody really knows.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Edmonton Roadrunners

C(3): Tavares, Couture, Girgensons
    LW(3): Helm, Ott, Soderberg
    RW(3): Ryan, Gallagher, Simmonds
    F(3): Hemsky, Paquette, Markus Granlund
    D(6): OEL, Gudas, Johnson, Savard, Quincey, Wideman
    G(1): Halak, Smith, Lindback
    Bench: Stoll, Stajan, Mckenzie, Pulkkinen

Prospects(10): Straka, Chartier, Crouse, EK Eriksson, Tuch, Koekkoek, Max Reinhart, Zboril, Bibeau, Jarry

RIP- Phil Philthy Animal Taylor- September 21, 1954-November 11, 2015.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

If I was (which I am) going to go with any of these rookies it would have to be Yakupov. Edmonton is on the cusp of becoming a very very good team and Yakupov is going to be a great goal scorer. (All assuming Edmonton doesn't move him.. interesting offseason for them)
    Huberdeau is also very very good but for as good as Florida's farm system is and their 1st round pick will probably be, Edmonton has more talent plus Yakupov has more talent than Huberdeau.
    Galchenyuk - He will end up being a great hockey player but in my opinion only a moderate fantasy player. Therrien is a defensive guy and will mold (continue to mold actually) Galchenyuk into a 2 way player. This will limit Galchenyuks offensive/fantasy upside.
    2010-2011 League Champion
    2012-2013 Runner Up
    ROTO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2,G | G, A, PPP, +/-, PIM, BS, W, GAA, SV%
    C: Getzlaf, Backstrom
    LW: Hall, Tlusty
    RW: Malkin, Lupul
    D: Ehrhoff, Del Zotto, Enstrom, Carle
    G: Holtby, Smith
    Bench: Faulk, Druoin, MacKinnon, Brodin, S. Mason, Bernier
    H2H Keeper League [5F, 1D, 1F/D 1G]
    2013 - 3rd
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D,1 Ult, 1 G -H2H Daily Start - G, A, +/-, Hits, BS, PPP, SHP - W, SV, GAA, SO
    F:Tavares, Landeskog, E.Kane, Backes, Yakupov, RNH/Kesler
    D: Green/OEL
    G: Rask

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Of those 3, I'll take Yakitiyak ! Offensive mind guy in a stud offensive team !
    His upside is higher then Gally and hubs !
    NHL Caphit(79.5M),pts only keeper league,16 Teams,Weekly H2H,Start 6F 4D 1G

F:Backstrom,Matthews,Giroux,Kessel,Barzal,Bailey,S tone,Labanc,Steel
    D:Klingberg,Krug,Vatanen,Letang,Girard,Liljegren
    G:Bobrovsky,Murray,Ullmark,Hart,Parsons

Dobber Sports Pro

Yakupov - of the 3 listed, he is the pure sniper/scorer. His realease is deadly and he'll shoot from anywhere. If the players around him reach their upside, he will too, and sooner rather than later. With Horcoff and Hemsky on the way out, he'll see a lot more minutes and soon be a go to guy for offense. Could be a perennial 40 goal scorer at the peak of his career and flirt with 50+.

Huberdeau - Florida will be still be a shitty team for the foreseeable future and it's arguable that he's already their best player. Fleischmann only had 4 more points than him and played about 2min more per game. I see him as more of a play making centre. His reach and patience allows him to hang on to the puck until a great set up opportunity presents itself. Since the opportunity for big minutes is there, I predict he'll outpoint Yak and Galchenyuk this season and next but the other 2 will catch up in due time.

Galchenyuk - Has those moments of pure brilliance where you wonder if he has the most upside of the 3. Deadly shot, top end vision and scary shootout moves. With Plekanec and Eller in front of him for the next 2 years he would have to out perform them considerably to receive anything more than 15min a night. They have experimented with him at the wing but long term I don't see habs brass keeping him there. He's a gym rat and is one of those guys that just lives and breathes hockey.

In short, all 3 have point per game potential and are seen as special players. For fantasy purposes for the next 3 years I see them as this.

Yakupov
    Huberdeau
    Galchenuk

That order could completely flip in 3-5 years.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Pro

Maybe I am crazy but I'd totally take Galchenyuk (preference I love watching him play over the other 2 by a very slim margin), however you can not go wrong with either as they will all be great.

Yaks will be the best scorer on EDM, well battling Hall for it, and as they improve he should too with the right line mates. I think EDM should put RNH and Yaks together and have Hall & Eberle carry the other line, that would be scary.

Huberdeau is Florida's best player and will probably continue to be, Imagine Mackinnon as his centre???

Gally is stuck under Therien's defensive system but we all know he has a short shelf life. And once this kid gets going the Centre's in front of him will have to be moved down as the kid is too good.

Just my 2 cents
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    Maybe I am crazy but I'd totally take Galchenyuk (preference I love watching him play over the other 2 by a very slim margin), however you can not go wrong with either as they will all be great.

Yaks will be the best scorer on EDM, well battling Hall for it, and as they improve he should too with the right line mates. I think EDM should put RNH and Yaks together and have Hall & Eberle carry the other line, that would be scary.

Huberdeau is Florida's best player and will probably continue to be, Imagine Mackinnon as his centre???

Gally is stuck under Therien's defensive system but we all know he has a short shelf life. And once this kid gets going the Centre's in front of him will have to be moved down as the kid is too good.

Just my 2 cents
    So hard to rank these guys... I would go Yakupov,Huberdeau,Galchenyuk also.

Yakupov has a tremendous upside along with a huge opportunity to produce in EDM.
    Huberdeau's upside might be slightly lower than Yak's but he's also going to be given to key to the city in FLA as they have no other option than using him at the maximum of his capacity (Similar to Lecavalier when he started in TB).
    Galchenyuk showed some flashes of brilliance in the playoffs and I think he could actually become the best out of these 3, but he's got some player to surpass on the depth chart in MTL. He just seems to gets it though. I think he's going to be scary good.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Legend

I'd rank them:

1. Yakupov - Will be a 40/45 guy or so. Could exceed those numbers a couple of times.

2. Huberdeau - I expect 35/45 from Hubs when he gets going. Florida won't stink forever and Huberdeau will make a good Nordique one day soon

3. Galchenyuk - Very good player. He will be better all-around than the other two but won't put up the same numbers. I like Gally for 30/40-45.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Hubs
    Gally
    Yak

Yakupov will be the best player of the 3 but he will fizzle out long before the other two. I think Hub and Galchenyuk have the ability to be great players for 15 years. The way Yak plays I think he will show his age long before the other two.

But lets be real, who is looking 10 years down the road of their fantasy hockey team.
    14 team keeper Sim league
    40 player 100 year cap,
    C: Giroux, Barzal, Getzlaf, Koivu
    LW: Schenn, Labanc, Neal, Mikeyev, Benn
    RW: Voracek, Kucherov, Wheeler, Garland, Burakovsky
    D: Keith, Weber, Suter, Edler, E. Johnson, Stralman, Cernak
    G: Raanta, Korpisalo, Miller,

Dobber Sports Padawan

As a previous poster mentioned, I would be looking at who can make the most impact in the next 2-3 years. This may sound crazy but I would want Galy or Hubs in that time frame. I'm not crazy about yak or anyone on edm (other than hall). They are overvalued

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    I'd rank them:

1. Yakupov - Will be a 40/45 guy or so. Could exceed those numbers a couple of times.

2. Huberdeau - I expect 35/45 from Hubs when he gets going. Florida won't stink forever and Huberdeau will make a good Nordique one day soon

3. Galchenyuk - Very good player. He will be better all-around than the other two but won't put up the same numbers. I like Gally for 30/40-45.
    Are you talking points? Or Goals? I'm guessing goals but wanted to clarify. Tks.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by nyr36 View Post
    Hubs
    Gally
    Yak

Yakupov will be the best player of the 3 but he will fizzle out long before the other two. I think Hub and Galchenyuk have the ability to be great players for 15 years. The way Yak plays I think he will show his age long before the other two.

But lets be real, who is looking 10 years down the road of their fantasy hockey team.
    Seems only you are looking that far down the road NYR36. Let's dial'r back to a max 5 year span. Do you think Yakupov will fizzle out 5 years down the road? Who are you comparing him to? And why do you think a guy with that much fire will fizzle out? (Ovechkin comparison?)

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm an Edmontonian and as guy who watches Yakupov every night, I think he is a little over-rated in these forums. I don't see him being the top offensive dog on this team and he (and his point totals) will fall behind Hall and the Nuge for the foreseeable future.

Huberdeau on the the otherhand, is a better overall player IMO and will have the keys to the city in South Florida.

I have it:

1. Huberdeau
    2. Yakupov
    3. Galchenyuk
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    I'm an Edmontonian and as guy who watches Yakupov every night, I think he is a little over-rated in these forums. I don't see him being the top offensive dog on this team and he (and his point totals) will fall behind Hall and the Nuge for the foreseeable future.

Huberdeau on the the otherhand, is a better overall player IMO and will have the keys to the city in South Florida.

I have it:

1. Huberdeau
    2. Yakupov
    3. Galchenyuk
    First off...much respect. I too am an Edmonton fan...but I feel the need to critique part of your argument.

From a fantasy perspective, I think you value Nuge a little more than is warranted. Don't get me wrong...love this kid, but if you are comparing Centers...i agree...id value hubs over Nuge...and Hall will be this teams offensive catalyst, but i forsee Yakupov landing on the 1st line as soon as this year with a yet to be determined C and Hall at LW. Nuge just doesn't have the size and clearly the durability to be a #1 center on this team. But a helluva #2 C with Eberle on his right side.

I believe the better comparison is Hubs and Nuge...with Hubs taking a slight edge...but on a far inferior team. Yakuoov, I feel will be #2 in scoring on Edmonton this year and will prove to be a bigger fantasy asset than heubredeau
    ... AND challenge hall for years to come. Russian/Canadian connection...exactly what the doctor ordered IMO.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    First off...much respect. I too am an Edmonton fan...but I feel the need to critique part of your argument.

From a fantasy perspective, I think you value Nuge a little more than is warranted. Don't get me wrong...love this kid, but if you are comparing Centers...i agree...id value hubs over Nuge...and Hall will be this teams offensive catalyst, but i forsee Yakupov landing on the 1st line as soon as this year with a yet to be determined C and Hall at LW. Nuge just doesn't have the size and clearly the durability to be a #1 center on this team. But a helluva #2 C with Eberle on his right side.

I believe the better comparison is Hubs and Nuge...with Hubs taking a slight edge...but on a far inferior team. Yakuoov, I feel will be #2 in scoring on Edmonton this year and will prove to be a bigger fantasy asset than heubredeau
    ... AND challenge hall for years to come. Russian/Canadian connection...exactly what the doctor ordered IMO.
    Great feedback guys, but lets not forget Huberdeau is a very capable left winger and if they draft Mackinnon who will play natural center this makes things slightly different.

Now we compare Nug to Mackinnon and Hall to Hubs if the Panther want to show they can compete, why not throw huge cash at a guy like Iginla and then you get some veteran presence and a big time line. We can dream cant we. Think about it Iggy got third line minutes in Pitts, he will get all he wants in Florida and might not win that cup he wants but man would that be a fun line to watch for a few years.
    Last edited by Lemmy; June 18, 2013 at 4:44 AM.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Edmonton Roadrunners

C(3): Tavares, Couture, Girgensons
    LW(3): Helm, Ott, Soderberg
    RW(3): Ryan, Gallagher, Simmonds
    F(3): Hemsky, Paquette, Markus Granlund
    D(6): OEL, Gudas, Johnson, Savard, Quincey, Wideman
    G(1): Halak, Smith, Lindback
    Bench: Stoll, Stajan, Mckenzie, Pulkkinen

Prospects(10): Straka, Chartier, Crouse, EK Eriksson, Tuch, Koekkoek, Max Reinhart, Zboril, Bibeau, Jarry

RIP- Phil Philthy Animal Taylor- September 21, 1954-November 11, 2015.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I feel Galchenyuk is definitely my #3 on this list.. I am having a hard time picking between Huberdeau and Yakupov as my #1.. They are both going to be future studs in the NHL.. If I had to choose I would probably take Huberdeau, but wouldn't be too sad if I had Yakupov..

No matter what, all three of these guys are going to be on the top lines and top PP unit's on their respective teams within a year or two..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..