Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Flames

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Calgary Flames

More significant is that the Flames hired David Johnson, the evil genius behind the hockey analysis website. Unfortunately for many of us, it means that site had closed down.

Hopefully for Flames fans it means no more truculence based player selections.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    More significant is that the Flames hired David Johnson, the evil genius behind the hockey analysis website. Unfortunately for many of us, it means that site had closed down.

Hopefully for Flames fans it means no more truculence based player selections.
    A lot of other analytics people don't think he's very good at his craft.

More than that, just how many "truculence" based decisions has BT made? You could argue Brouwer, but I don't really think he was brought in for that reason. In terms of the draft, Hunter Smith and Keegan Kanzig, but those were a long time ago? What else? Nothing really stands out to me.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    A lot of other analytics people don't think he's very good at his craft.

More than that, just how many "truculence" based decisions has BT made? You could argue Brouwer, but I don't really think he was brought in for that reason. In terms of the draft, Hunter Smith and Keegan Kanzig, but those were a long time ago? What else? Nothing really stands out to me.
    No they don't but I think his body of work speaks to his abilities. I would argue that drawing conclusions and gleaning predictable hypotheses from hockey stats is a precarious activity for anyone. The game is very difficult to capture strictly from numbers. I like the hiring from the standpoint in that it indicates to me that the Flames are fully on board with the use of advanced statistical analysis to evaluate players, and are moving away from Burke's influence. I don't fully understand what his role is in the organization.

I do agree with you that they have not made any pure 'truculence' picks recently. For example, I like how they are using late round picks to select small, high skilled players such as Mangiapane and Philips.

People have oversold Burke's influence from the start. Look at all the moves Treliving has made since being hired. None of them have any indication of Burke's fingerprints. His job is to schmooze with the league and keep the Flames in good standing with the old boys club, and he does it wonderfully. And he does media events and fundraisers. He's basically their ambassador to the public while Treliving does all the hard work, which is perfect.

Dobber Sports Pro

Overall I'm still happy with Treliving's body of work, but when he misses he misses big and my confidence in him is eroding. Brouwer, Lazar, and now Lack. In all three cases he seems to be the only person in the hockey universe who thought these acquisitions were good ideas.

The only thing that surpasses Treliving bringing Lack to Calgary is GG inexplicably putting him back in for the 2nd period. I am truly in awe of the stupid f#cking decisions these supposedly knowledgeable (and very well paid) hockey people make.

Rant over.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

not saying Lack is any good but honestly you can't blame him much for this game.. flames defensive game was brutal all around they were not into it from the start. As for lazar i agree i think he was a total bust lots of hype around him when he was acquired.. and for Brouwer and that contract is just terrible.

I personally am not sold on any of the coaching staff... GG, dave cameron and Paul Jerrard there is no identity to the flames... extremely inconsistent and the PK is not good.

Overall I'm still happy with Treliving's body of work, but when he misses he misses big and my confidence in him is eroding. Brouwer, Lazar, and now Lack. In all three cases he seems to be the only person in the hockey universe who thought these acquisitions were good ideas.

The only thing that surpasses Treliving bringing Lack to Calgary is GG inexplicably putting him back in for the 2nd period. I am truly in awe of the stupid f#cking decisions these supposedly knowledgeable (and very well paid) hockey people make.

Rant over.
    8 Team H2h Cat: G, A, PPP, SHG, GWG, SOG, HIT, BLK
    Wins, SV%, SHO

Forwards: Couturier, Kopitar, B. Tanev, Debrincat, Wheeler, Puljujarvi, Seguin, Matthews, M. Tkachuk, Bennett, Marchand, Bergeron,

Defence: Chiarot, Nurse, Carlson, Fowler, Josi, DeAgngelo, Ferraro

Goalies: Shesterkin, Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Deity

I don't remember any hype around Lazar when he was acquired. I think he was expected to be more of a project than hyped. They were hoping he would live up to his 1st round pick status but so far that hasn't been the case, neither in Ottawa or in Calgary.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mike hall View Post
    not saying Lack is any good but honestly you can't blame him much for this game.. flames defensive game was brutal all around they were not into it from the start. As for lazar i agree i think he was a total bust lots of hype around him when he was acquired.. and for Brouwer and that contract is just terrible.

I personally am not sold on any of the coaching staff... GG, dave cameron and Paul Jerrard there is no identity to the flames... extremely inconsistent and the PK is not good.
    Good points. I think Lack exposed some of the weaknesses of this team and for that lone aspect we can thank him. Treliving has expended a lot of draft picks to go for it and the Flames are no where near contenders at this point. I've never been a fan of GG and his exasperated reaction to last night's embarrassment tells me that he's out of ideas.

Rant over.
    Lazar - Yes.

Brouwer - Treliving had to give Brouwer and extra year to get him to come to Calgary. Treliving was not the only person trying to sign Brouwer, he "won" a bidding war. Sure it was a big miss, but don't change the narrative and pretend like Calgary was his only suitor.

Lack - Did you actually watch the goals? I could confidently say Smith would have maybe stopped 1 of them. The problem last night was that the Flames did not show up, not that Lack was in net costing them the game.

Dobber Sports Master

GluGlu has to GoGo..... because his name sounds like the sound air bubbles make when they come to the surface from a sinking ship....
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Pro

Brouwer - Treliving had to give Brouwer and extra year to get him to come to Calgary. Treliving was not the only person trying to sign Brouwer, he "won" a bidding war. Sure it was a big miss, but don't change the narrative and pretend like Calgary was his only suitor.

Lack - Did you actually watch the goals? I could confidently say Smith would have maybe stopped 1 of them. The problem last night was that the Flames did not show up, not that Lack was in net costing them the game.
    That Treliving was not the only suitor does not mean that everyone was enamored with this signing at the time. Any fan who pays attention to the game knew that the Brouwer deal was a bad idea.

Goalies are paid to make saves, including when the team in front of them sucks. Lack's numbers this year don't lie - he has been terrible in all of his appearances and there is no reason from his current or past performances that would give Flames fans any cause for hope.

That Treliving was not the only suitor does not mean that everyone was enamored with this signing at the time. Any fan who pays attention to the game knew that the Brouwer deal was a bad idea.

Goalies are paid to make saves, including when the team in front of them sucks. Lack's numbers this year don't lie - he has been terrible in all of his appearances and there is no reason from his current or past performances that would give Flames fans any cause for hope.
    You mean any fan who follows analytics. Tons of "traditional fans" loved it, but it's going back to the bigger point of your statement. "In all three cases he seems to be the only person in the hockey universe who thought these acquisitions were good ideas." That's demonstrably false and changing the narrative. I'm not interested in whether the Brouwer acquisition was a good idea at the time or now. You're just making shit up that obviously isn't true.

"In all of his appearances". All 3? Lol. And like I said. Smith most likely only would have made 1 of those 5 saves.

Dobber Sports Pro

You mean any fan who follows analytics. Tons of "traditional fans" loved it, but it's going back to the bigger point of your statement. "In all three cases he seems to be the only person in the hockey universe who thought these acquisitions were good ideas." That's demonstrably false and changing the narrative. I'm not interested in whether the Brouwer acquisition was a good idea at the time or now. You're just making shit up that obviously isn't true.

"In all of his appearances". All 3? Lol. And like I said. Smith most likely only would have made 1 of those 5 saves.
    The point is that JT made avoidable blunders in signing Brouwer and Lack. If you want to quibble over trivial details then go ahead. I'm not going to indulge you by falling into yet another Rataylor rat hole.

Please do tell which backup goalies in the league are capable of stealing games for a team? Your starter is paid to make saves they're not supposed to and steal games. Your backup.....is not.

As for the ~two~ avoidable blunders, well please point in the direction of which GM has made no mistakes lol.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Eddie Lack is garbage, Flames made a huge gamble relying on Smith to stay healthy for the entire year with a far below average backup behind him.