Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Flames

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Calgary Flames

I would like to welcome you all to the new Calgary Flames thread. If you have any insight, questions or general comments about the Calgary Flames this is the place to be.

I wasn’t always a Calgary Flames fan in fact growing up I hated them as they were in the same division as my Winnipeg Jets. Even after I moved to Calgary I still did not like the Calgary Flames but that all changed in May of 2004. With all the Vancouver Canuck fans that live in Calgary is was pretty easy for me to defend my city and become a Flames fan even if it were only going to last one series or so I thought.

After Calgary knocked off the now hated Canucks the Flames moved on to the Detroit Redwings. I was watching one the games at Boston Pizza on the famous 17th ave and after the game I was on my way home walking to my car when I see the beginning of the Red Mile. Cars were going up and down the strip yelling and screaming and blaring there music and then it happened, right in front of me. The moment that made me a Calgary Flames Fan For Life: A girl in a Jeep that drove by lifted up her shirt and flashed me! And a couple of cars later another girl did the same thing and a tradition was born! I have been a diehard fan ever since.

I will do my best to give you all the Flames coverage that you can handle and I can’t wait to discuss the Calgary Flames with all of you.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Administrator

Sweet, some insight from the future!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Monster

Welcome to the team!! Looking forward to all sorts of Flames news and I am sure some odd humor along the way haha. Seriously though, welcome aboard!

The Magnificent One

Good to have you. Ill get u started with some thought on these guys going forward?

Hanowski
    Cammy
    Cundari

With the team being in a weird middle ground whats your take on how these guys will look next yr and on.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    Good to have you. Ill get u started with some thought on these guys going forward?

Hanowski
    Cammy
    Cundari

With the team being in a weird middle ground whats your take on how these guys will look next yr and on.
    Just to add to DR's answers, I covered Hanowski and Cundari in some past articles:

http://hockey.dobbersports.com/index...ookie-signings
    http://hockey.dobbersports.com/index...ains-part-viii

Not all relevant today, but hopefully it adds to the overall picture.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post

Hanowski
    Cammy
    Cundari

Hanowski - I watch this guy play live and even though he did score he didnt impress me all that much. I know that he is still young but I felt that he was a step behind and couldnt keep up with his line mates. I see him as a 3rd line guy.

Cammy - There have been some talk around town that Cammy is on the way out. I sure hope he isnt. The Flames still need some veteran leadership on this team to show the young kids the ropes. I still think he should be on the Flames top line with Tanguay.

Cundari - I really like this kid. He does it all. He can score, shoot, hit and eat up minutes. He will start on the top 4 next year and get tons of PP time.

1 Week scoring period

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    G - Saros, Rittich

Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Just to add to DR's answers, I covered Hanowski and Cundari in some past articles:

http://hockey.dobbersports.com/index...ookie-signings
    http://hockey.dobbersports.com/index...ains-part-viii

Not all relevant today, but hopefully it adds to the overall picture.
    Thanks buddy!

1 Week scoring period

G - Saros, Rittich

Dobber Sports All-Star

Is Todd Marchand playing on the 3rd line in BOS and who are his linemates usually?
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Brad Marchand? Also wrong thread? Hanowski will be in the AHL next year, Flames just had to show something to the fanbase. He isn't more than a third liner.

Cammy will be on the team to start the year next year if for no other reason thatn basically no team will be able to take on a full 6 mil cap hit, we will see where he is at the end of the year. I can see him being a deadline move, but I also know he legitimately loves Calgary. I could see him really taking a pay cut to stay here, he wanted to last time and the organization chose Olli over him (terrible call). Somewhere in the ranfge of $4 mil/year or maybe like Tanguay money (I think he is making $5mil, $6 is too much though).

Cundari and Brodie will be an interesting battle. I think they are basically fighting for the same spot. Wideman is going to be top PP, so his partner will be either Brodie or Cundari, and then second PP will be the other one and Gio. Derek Smith and Chris Butler probably round out the top 6.

Random funny tidbit, a random flames fan I follow on twitter (I also live in Calgary, but to be clear I am a Pens fan and have been since Crosby was drafted) think Brodie will easily finish top 5 in D scoring next year, to which I laughed in his face and agreed that would happen as long as the top 20-30 guys ahead of him got injured for the whole year.

The Wolverine

Good to see you running this thread, Derek. Look forward to the updates.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks for this Derek, your expertise is far ahead of mine when commenting on the Flames, and with family/work constraints the old forum was just too much work to handle. Congrats and I look forward to seeing your updates!
    XGL - 16 Team, Points Dynasty League
    $114M cap, 54+ Players, Year #16 - 1st(6x): 08, 12-13, 16, 18-19

F(9+3R): Rantanen, P Kane, Bergeron, Lindholm, Tarasenko, Kadri, Olofsson+
    R: Newhook, Perfetti+
    D(5+2R): Makar, Hronek, Dunn, Sanheim, Andersson
    R: Seider, Harley+

G(2+1R): Price, Varly

WHL - 24 Team Dobber League (Lake Valley Thunder) - 2020/21 Champion
    F: Aho, Bergeron, OV, Hintz, Hoffman+
    D: Hedman, Makar, Werenski, Hronek+
    G: Andersen, Lankinen, Oettinger
    R: Reichel, Timmins, Bjornfot, Cormier, Johnston+

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by First Round Pick View Post
    Thanks for this Derek, your expertise is far ahead of mine when commenting on the Flames, and with family/work constraints the old forum was just too much work to handle. Congrats and I look forward to seeing your updates!
    Not a problem man, happy to do it.

1 Week scoring period

G - Saros, Rittich

Dobber Sports Sophomore

What's your take on the management team in Calgary led by Jay Feaster and John Weisbrod? It seems they're perpetually spinning their wheels and don't have a clear plan going forward. Obviously this could partly be due to owner Murray Edwards' mandate to make the playoffs next year, but I still have no faith in the current management group, mandate or not.
    10 Team, 27 Player (9 Fwds, 6 D-men, 2 Goalies, 10 Taxi Spots), Points Only Keeper League

Fwds: Malkin, Stamkos, Toews, Kessel, Benn, Elias, Kunitz, Roy, Berglund, Ennis, Stepan, Purcell, Tanguay, Ladd, Bennett
    D-Men: Campbell, Enstrom, Byfuglien, Goligoski, Del Zotto, Visnovsky, Hamhuis, Souray, Brodin
    Goalies: Miller, Rinne, Ward, Crawford

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by olgrit22 View Post
    What's your take on the management team in Calgary led by Jay Feaster and John Weisbrod? It seems they're perpetually spinning their wheels and don't have a clear plan going forward. Obviously this could partly be due to owner Murray Edwards' mandate to make the playoffs next year, but I still have no faith in the current management group, mandate or not.
    Please note that there is no facts to what I am saying here just my own opinion from what I have observed since Jay Feaster took over as GM of the Calgary Flames.

This has been an on going discussion that I have had with many people and my OWN personal take is even though it says that Jay Feaster is the GM of the Flames I think that he is just the face of the GM of the Flames. Let me explain: I dont think Jay is calling the shots, he may have some imput and ideas what to do but he is just a puppet to Ken King and his buddies. What ever Ken King says is what Feaster does.

That is why I think Feaster didnt get fired over the whole O'Riley thing. I believe that Feaster told Ken King about glitch in offering O'Rielly an offer sheet and King decided to go ahead with it anyways and that he will have an appeal ready if the won the claim on O'Riley and O'Rielly were subject to waivers.

Feaster is a great speaker and he is actually pretty smart that is why he knows what exactly to say no matter what questions are fired his way. This is why King likes him so much.

With all the moves that the Flames made at the trade deadline they are in a rebuilding mode which is why its puzzling that owner Murray Edwards wants the Flames to make the Playoffs next year. Any average hockey fan realizes that unless the Flames make some magical trades or sign some magical hockey players that they will not make the playoffs next season.
    Last edited by DerekReese; May 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM.

1 Week scoring period

G - Saros, Rittich

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I wholeheartedly agree. I think it starts at the top with Ken King and until he is either let go or moved to another position (ie. in charge of all the Flames properties including the Hitmen, Roughnecks, Stamps) then we're going to see the same puzzling moves and questionable signings. It still bothers me they never went after John Davidson last year. Look what he's done in Columbus since his hiring.
    10 Team, 27 Player (9 Fwds, 6 D-men, 2 Goalies, 10 Taxi Spots), Points Only Keeper League

Fwds: Malkin, Stamkos, Toews, Kessel, Benn, Elias, Kunitz, Roy, Berglund, Ennis, Stepan, Purcell, Tanguay, Ladd, Bennett
    D-Men: Campbell, Enstrom, Byfuglien, Goligoski, Del Zotto, Visnovsky, Hamhuis, Souray, Brodin
    Goalies: Miller, Rinne, Ward, Crawford