Thread: Moved #4 overall, how did I do?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Moved #4 overall, how did I do?

In a very deep league where I am just finishing a 3-yr rebuild, I was offered a package of players for my 4th overall pick, which would have been Jones or Barkov, or Lindholm/Nichushkin. We dress 12 forwards, 6 D, and 2 G, and count G,A,P,+/-,PIM,GWG.

So, Barkov or Jones or one of the other two to a team that needs to cut salary and loves to roll entry level contract players because of daily changes and no waivers.

In return, I got Jeff Skinner, David Desharnais and Mikkel Boedker.

I know there are question marks around all three, but Skinner has the talent, we'll see, definitely a buy-low in my mind. Desharnais I expect will be filler until somebody from my farm surpasses him. Boedker I was intrigued with last year, seemed to be taking the next step until the Coyotes went on their late-season skid.

Opinions?
    20-Team Keeper League
    PTS: G=1, A=1, W=2, SO=3
    Starting roster: 6F, 3D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 2 on farm

F: Kucherov, Scheifele, Eichel, Tarasenko, Rakell, Schwartz, Dadonov
    D: Doughty, Josi, Ekman-Larsson, Keith
    G: Hellebuyck
    Farm: Tolvanen, Kaprizov

16-Team Keeper League
    Starting roster: 6F, 4D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 4 on farm
    F: P Kane, Kessel, Pastrnak, Keller, Marchessault, B Schenn, Fiala, Kase,
    D: Weber, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Parayko
    G: Rask
    Farm: Kravtsov, A Boqvist, Necas, I Samsonov

Dobber Sports Padawan

I don't mind this one really. Skinner has GOT to bounce back along with the rest of the Canes. Also, seeing that you are done your rebuild and ready to compete now, it is a plus that you will not have to wait on a prospect to develop. I think that the depth you receive in this trade will help you this year as well
    13 team Roto keeper league 12 F, 6D, 2G, G,A,+/-, PIMS, Hits, TOI(D), GAA, SV%, (Forwards are forwards, no distinction between L,R,C)

F) Ovechkin, Stamkos, Kunitz, Parise, Byfuglien, Backstrom, Little, Gaudreau, Hudler, Brassard, Girgensons, Nelson
    D) S. Weber, Phaneuf, Subban, Carlson, Josi, Vatanen
    G) Rask, Jones

Dobber Sports Veteran

That was damn near vetoable it was so lopsided for you. Skinner and Boedker are in the top 25 of forwards who are inside their first three seasons, Deshairnais is an extra. However, comparing a likely draft pick against those two is the real problem. It seems that a guy like a Barkov will likely have a 60-70 point ceiling in the NHL, Skinner and Boedker both have 75-80 pt potential to me.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Guru

Did/do you have to drop any players to make room for this deal? If so that is a determining factor in how well you did on this deal.

Dobber Sports Stud

Assuming you didn't have to drop anyone of significance (I assume not since I see Leblanc is on your roster still) you did VERY well.

Dobber Sports Ace

I will have to drop two players, but most likely no one I can't live without. I guess what it came down to for me was a question of necessity - my rebuild is complete, and we dress 12 forwards. I am currently sitting at:

Ladd
    Backes
    Couture
    Ennis
    Berglund
    Purcell
    Dorsett
    Eller
    RNH
    Yakupov
    plus some fodder

But I also have Granlund, Grigorenko, Kassian, Schwartz, Trocheck and 13 others of variable skill on the farm. So the question is, if the players involved aren't an upgrade on the players I've already got, is adding three potentially lesser players better than hopefully adding one better player in Barkov? Still, I went ahead with it, because I think at least Skinner and perhaps Boedker could be that better player (although Skinner makes me a bit nervous, for obvious reasons). But sometimes you have to shoot for the moon if the acquisition is going to make you any better - sometimes more of the same level of player just gets redundant. Am I making any sense?
    20-Team Keeper League
    Starting roster: 6F, 3D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 2 on farm

F: Kucherov, Scheifele, Eichel, Tarasenko, Rakell, Schwartz, Dadonov
    D: Doughty, Josi, Ekman-Larsson, Keith
    G: Hellebuyck
    Farm: Tolvanen, Kaprizov

16-Team Keeper League
    Starting roster: 6F, 4D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 4 on farm
    F: P Kane, Kessel, Pastrnak, Keller, Marchessault, B Schenn, Fiala, Kase,
    D: Weber, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Parayko