Thread: brendan smith or john carlson

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default brendan smith or john carlson

So in a few years....or at the beginning of their peaks who produces more points?
    My Football Pool
    12 team keeper league . Protect 5 .
    Start 1qb,2rb,2wr,1te,1k
    Draft 15 rounds
    TD ONLY. td worth six points . Standard points for kicker.

Andrew Luck, MEGATRON, Dez Bryant, Lamar Miller, Doug Martin

My hockey pool - standard points 1 pnt goal/assist
    Start 12 F , 6D, 2G 1pnt goalie win/5 per shutout
    Keep any combo of 20
    15 reserves

Dobber Sports Padawan

i think carlson is further along and will breach 45+ pts sooner than smith will - something tells me smith won't be the #1 guy in detroit ever, that they will bring in an offensive dynamo like yandle or edler to partner with kronwall, whereas carlson may very well be the #1-2 d-man on the PP with green for WSH.
    15-Team keep 6f, 3d, 1g pts-only, wins=2, SO=3, OTL=1
    F: Robertson, Thompson, DeBrincat, McCann, Tomasino, Chytil, Brink, Carlsson, Berggren, Guenther
    D: Morrissey, Montour, Jiricek, Perbix, LaCombe, Perunovich
    G: Talbot, Kuemper, Merzlikins, Kochetkov, Copley

Dobber Sports Expert

I would easily pick Carlson. He has shown that he can score in the NHL, Smith is still a gamble.

I love Smith, when considering his upside in multicat leagues. But he's a gamble year-to-year for the foreseeable future, due to the Wings never....ever hurrying one of the players. It's the ice time that's the toss-up.

Look at how long it took Jonathan Ericsson to climb the depth chart?

As much as I love Smith and his periphs....Carlson for now and the next two years at least. Especially if it's points-only.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Genius

JC for me too. More proven and had a nice finish to the year point wise.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Administrator

Carlson easy. Smith is another example of how tough it is for defensemen to put it together in the NHL. He had the hype but gave us eight points. Carlson's downside is in the 30s. Similar peaks (IMO) but Carlson is safer and more ready.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Initiate

I would go with Carlson here. He's been in the league longer and will have much better players to work with over the next few years. I'm assuming that Zetterberg and Datsyuk retire in the next year or so.
    16 team, full keeper
    19 roster players, 15 prospects, 2 farm
    Stats: G, A, PPG, SHG, special teams assists, SOG, FOW, PIM, hits, BS, Tk, +/-, W, SO, saves, s%, GAA, SO saves

C: Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, H. Sedin, J. Staal, Hodgson
    W: Perreault, Atkinson, Dorsett, Jagr, Burrows, Zuccarello, Hagelin, Condra
    D: Karlsson, Keith, OEL, Hamonic, Gudas, Hejda
    G: Price, Rinne

Prospects: Lindholm, Cassels, Perlini, Vesey, Sheahan, Teravainen, Jensen, Ceci, Koekkoek, Emelin, Kulikov, Rundblad, Grubauer, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Sage

I will recommend going with Carlson here as he is the much safer choice. With that being said I would personally go with Smith. I'm not a big fan of Carlson's offensive game and still feel that Orlov will eventually be the man there. That being said I couldn't recommend that course of action for you. Go with Carlson.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by bizzl View Post
    I would go with Carlson here. He's been in the league longer and will have much better players to work with over the next few years. I'm assuming that Zetterberg and Datsyuk retire in the next year or so.
    No way. Neither Dats nor Zetts will retire in a year or so. I LOVE Smith here. Carlson is solid, but Smith is gonna blow up. Multi-cat league, love Smith. I think upside in points is very similar.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    No way. Neither Dats nor Zetts will retire in a year or so. I LOVE Smith here. Carlson is solid, but Smith is gonna blow up. Multi-cat league, love Smith. I think upside in points is very similar.
    Well Datsyuk´s contract will expire next year and there are rumours he might sign with the KHL then. So he will definitely not retire, but he could be out of the NHL.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I thought Zetterberg was older than he is, must be that grizzly beard. Like Dennis mentioned, Datsyuk's contract is expiring next summer and I've heard from a bunch of outlets that he wants to have a few good years in the KHL.
    16 team, full keeper
    19 roster players, 15 prospects, 2 farm
    Stats: G, A, PPG, SHG, special teams assists, SOG, FOW, PIM, hits, BS, Tk, +/-, W, SO, saves, s%, GAA, SO saves

C: Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, H. Sedin, J. Staal, Hodgson
    W: Perreault, Atkinson, Dorsett, Jagr, Burrows, Zuccarello, Hagelin, Condra
    D: Karlsson, Keith, OEL, Hamonic, Gudas, Hejda
    G: Price, Rinne

Prospects: Lindholm, Cassels, Perlini, Vesey, Sheahan, Teravainen, Jensen, Ceci, Koekkoek, Emelin, Kulikov, Rundblad, Grubauer, Kuemper

Dunno if Smith is gonna "blow up". But I feel what you're saying. His periphs will be huge, so his Gs and As don't have to be monster inorder for him to be fantasy relevant in multi-cat leagues.

Depends on what we're talking about here. We all seem to be coming at it from different perspectives and I don't think any of is wrong per se.

Gs and As w/in the next two years Carlson. Multi cat three years and beyond and you're in a dynasty league...Smith.

I will say we poolies (myself included) always remember the Karlssons and forget the EJs.

D-men are a gamble...more so than forwards.
    @SmittysRant