Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Ugh... I hate you Lebron

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Well, by the letter of the law that's a foul. He was wider than he's allowed to be but to make that call at that point is stupid and speaks to a greater issue with NBA officiating. There is seemingly no rhyme or reason to half the stuff they call. Refs allow way worse illegal screens than that on pretty much every play. In fact, it's become something of a skill for players to be able to set great illegal screens.

Now, we don't know what kind of discussions took place on the court and maybe a well timed tip from the Pacers coach about illegal screens shifted the ref's attention. Or perhaps there was a discussion between an official and Lebron about it and there was some kind of warning.

But again, to call that foul in that situation of the game is just... *sigh*... I mean, there's absolutely no art to the way a game is officiated these days. Refs just aren't great at setting a tone to the game and then allowing the players to play. It seems like there are quotas of certain calls that have to be made each game as mandated by the league so the refs are constantly feeling their strings getting pulled by the league office.

And this is a league where a guy has been proven corrupt and another guy has shown a clear vendetta towards a player and has actively acted on that in games. It's outrageous. The lack of consistency from play to play, quarter to quarter, game to game is just embarrassing. The best compliment you can give a ref is that you didn't notice him. I always notice the refs in NBA games, which means there is something wrong.
    Sounds a lot like NHL officiating to me.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    HAHAHA.. Lebron has a long way to go before he can challenge MJ for the top spot in basketball lore.. Kobe was/is amazing and he doesn't even come close to MJ..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Well, by the letter of the law that's a foul. He was wider than he's allowed to be but to make that call at that point is stupid and speaks to a greater issue with NBA officiating. There is seemingly no rhyme or reason to half the stuff they call. Refs allow way worse illegal screens than that on pretty much every play. In fact, it's become something of a skill for players to be able to set great illegal screens.

Now, we don't know what kind of discussions took place on the court and maybe a well timed tip from the Pacers coach about illegal screens shifted the ref's attention. Or perhaps there was a discussion between an official and Lebron about it and there was some kind of warning.

But again, to call that foul in that situation of the game is just... *sigh*... I mean, there's absolutely no art to the way a game is officiated these days. Refs just aren't great at setting a tone to the game and then allowing the players to play. It seems like there are quotas of certain calls that have to be made each game as mandated by the league so the refs are constantly feeling their strings getting pulled by the league office.

And this is a league where a guy has been proven corrupt and another guy has shown a clear vendetta towards a player and has actively acted on that in games. It's outrageous. The lack of consistency from play to play, quarter to quarter, game to game is just embarrassing. The best compliment you can give a ref is that you didn't notice him. I always notice the refs in NBA games, which means there is something wrong.
    For sure. The refs make it about themselves way, way too often. I have no idea how Joey Crawford still has a job.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm stunned this is going to game 7 because Lebron has been very good. DWade, Bosh and the rest have been equally bad though. I'm still predicting Miami pulls it out, homecourt in game 7, some guys are due to hit shots.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    He is the most talented player of all time! There is no one even close to him on a pure talent perspective. By the time his career is over he will be universally recognized as the best player ever. Only people who will disagree are Chicago fans or dinosaurs who are unwilling to come to grips with the blatantly obvious. I'm a Lakers fan so I think there is an argument that Magic if he didn't get sick would have had a better career then Jordan anyway.
    So if Magic hadn't gotten sick, he would have had a better career? BY the time Magic got sick Jordan had surpassed him as a superior player. To think that an aging Magic would have won more MVPs and titles over an in-his-prime Jordan is ridiculous. Then again, the last MVP Magic won over Jordan was a joke.

I'm not going to address your Lebron comments. We'll see what happens. If Lebron doesn't win the title this year, it is only going to be more difficult going forward as Wade continues to age. Granted, he probably can't be less effective than he is playing now.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by pts9889 View Post
    So if Magic hadn't gotten sick, he would have had a better career? BY the time Magic got sick Jordan had surpassed him as a superior player. To think that an aging Magic would have won more MVPs and titles over an in-his-prime Jordan is ridiculous. Then again, the last MVP Magic won over Jordan was a joke.

I'm not going to address your Lebron comments. We'll see what happens. If Lebron doesn't win the title this year, it is only going to be more difficult going forward as Wade continues to age. Granted, he probably can't be less effective than he is playing now.
    Lebron can always opt out and go team up with a younger star in a couple of years which would help extend the championship window.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Sage

Lebron can always opt out and go team up with a younger star in a couple of years which would help extend the championship window.
    True

Kinda makes you wonder if Lebron second-guesses not coming to Chicago. They would have had- Lebron, Rose, Deng, a very good bench and one of the very best coaches in the league- Thibs.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by pts9889 View Post
    True

Kinda makes you wonder if Lebron second-guesses not coming to Chicago. They would have had- Lebron, Rose, Deng, a very good bench and one of the very best coaches in the league- Thibs.
    I don't think he second-guesses anything. He won a championship and could very well win another this season. Also, I'm not sure Thibs ever helps Lebron realize his full potential as a small-ball four. Maybe he never has to as that front line in Chicago is scary and would be devastating if you added Lebron to it. That team would be even more of a defensive powerhouse with Lebron added. But my point isn't so much the hypothetical would he or wouldn't he have, but more to say that Lebron actually landed in a pretty damn good spot in terms of coaching, management and general outside the box thinking. It may have taken them a while to figure it out and they may have even lucked into the small-ball thing but the reality is they did get there.

So Lebron has a championship and is five wins away from another, plus has an opt out if things unravel in Miami. So no, I don't think he second guesses anything.

Oh, and one more wrinkle, no state taxes in Florida. Since Lebron wants to be the first billion dollar athlete or mogul or whatever, that goes a long way.

It's a nice, what-if scenario because of how it drastically changes the landscape of the league but I just don't see Lebron regretting it.

Dobber Sports Monster

Heat vs Spurs.

Meh.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    Heat vs Spurs.

Meh.
    Oh please. I hate the Spurs but you've got to respect what they are, which is fantastic competition for the Heat. And you cannot complain about the Heat making the Finals. If the best player in the world making the finals doesn't turn your crank then you just don't like basketball.

Back to the match up. The Spurs have consistently given the Heat fits over the past few seasons, even when resting their stars, because of how intelligent and elegant their offence is designed. The way they play can break down any defence but it is particularly geared towards taking advantage of the sort of hyper-active, aggressive, over-helping defence that the Heat play. Just like how the Mavs beat the Heat in the Finals two years ago, the Spurs have the outside shooters to spread the floor and the intelligence to make the extra passes necessary to get those really good open looks against the Heat.

I also love some of the storylines going on here.

The Spurs' small market/no-name vibes vs. the Heatles.

The last Spurs championship was against Lebron's Cavs, in his first finals.

Tim Duncan was the best player in the NBA during the time between MJ and Lebron.

The Spurs'/Duncan's last hurrah.

Again, the best player in the world competing for another championship.

I just have to wonder, what Finals match up would have excited you? Me, I think this is going to be awesome. If I had the power to do so, I'd go back in time and bitch slap Patrick Beverley before he ever came back from Russia so that he'd never blow out Russel Westbrook's knee and we'd have another Thunder-Heat Finals but the Heat own the Thunder. The Spurs are a way better match up in terms of pure basketball excellence.

Dobber Sports Monster

Oh please. I hate the Spurs but you've got to respect what they are, which is fantastic competition for the Heat. And you cannot complain about the Heat making the Finals. If the best player in the world making the finals doesn't turn your crank then you just don't like basketball.

Back to the match up. The Spurs have consistently given the Heat fits over the past few seasons, even when resting their stars, because of how intelligent and elegant their offence is designed. The way they play can break down any defence but it is particularly geared towards taking advantage of the sort of hyper-active, aggressive, over-helping defence that the Heat play. Just like how the Mavs beat the Heat in the Finals two years ago, the Spurs have the outside shooters to spread the floor and the intelligence to make the extra passes necessary to get those really good open looks against the Heat.

I also love some of the storylines going on here.

The Spurs' small market/no-name vibes vs. the Heatles.

The last Spurs championship was against Lebron's Cavs, in his first finals.

Tim Duncan was the best player in the NBA during the time between MJ and Lebron.

The Spurs'/Duncan's last hurrah.

Again, the best player in the world competing for another championship.

I just have to wonder, what Finals match up would have excited you? Me, I think this is going to be awesome. If I had the power to do so, I'd go back in time and bitch slap Patrick Beverley before he ever came back from Russia so that he'd never blow out Russel Westbrook's knee and we'd have another Thunder-Heat Finals but the Heat own the Thunder. The Spurs are a way better match up in terms of pure basketball excellence.

No argument here. I just would of liked to see the Pacers move on.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    No argument here. I just would of liked to see the Pacers move on.
    And that would have been the shittiest Finals we've seen in a long time. All due respect to the Pacers. I loved watching that team I hope the continue to get better but that team had no bench. Like literally not one good player coming off the bench. That they put up the fight they did with only five players is a huge credit to that starting unit and to their coaching staff. BUT their ceiling is way lower than the Heat's.

Next year, with more growth from Hibbert and George, the return of Danny Granger and some smart off-season additions, the Pacers could be looking at having the best roster in the East but right now, with just five quality players, the Pacers just don't have enough. They are unbearable for long stretches. They were the perfect foil and gave us an excellent conference finals but there's no way I wanted to see them in the Finals.

The Heat's ceiling is just way higher. They've got better players and a deeper roster. Wade and Bosh might be too banged up for them to reach that ceiling and I think that means the Spurs have a really good chance of winning but even with those two gibbled they still pose a greater threat to the Spurs who boast a similarly deep roster.

But seriously, Spurs-Pacers would've been like the Spurs-Pistons Final, which was some of the dullest basketball. And I grant that the Spurs are more enjoyable to watch now than they were then but it still wouldn't have been good. Again, give the Pacers a year and they'll be ready to be real contenders, assuming they can re-up David West and make some smart signings.

Dobber Sports Immortal

First NBA game I watched a decent amount of in a long time.....mainly because the Pens game was such a joke.....

Dobber Sports Veteran

My predictions came true but I'm not sure how I feel about it. It sets up a good series but a big part of me was rooting for them to lose.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'd rather see the Heat lose than watch good basketball.

In any case, Go Spurs!