View Poll Results: who would you rather own for your fantasy league team?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seth Jones

28 42.42%
  • Justin Schultz

38 57.58%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Seth Jones or Justin Schultz

Dobber Sports Legend

Let's not forget - Erik Johnson was every bit as touted as Jones heading into his draft year, if not MORE. Jones has potential to be an absolute monster but Schultz has shown us what he can do at the NHL level and it's pretty damn impressive. This is a toughie. I guess I'm just completely down on how the Avs D-Men have ALL panned out and wonder if Jones will buck the trend.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I voted for Seth Jones.

I love Schultz and think he's an incredible player for MOST fantasy formats.

However... HITS... BLK...
    IF you want to win these kinds of leagues, your defensemen need to rake those categories... along with PIM, if possible.

Last year:
    Schultz had 15 Hits and 35 BkS. (In 48 games).
    In a full season, that'll project to about 25 Hits and 60 BkS.

That's bad... that's really, really, REALLY bad in those categories.

When we talk "Multi-Cat"... we should separate though... here's where I'd rank 'em.

Points-Only Pools (G,A): Schultz, by a LOT
    Standard Multi-Cat (G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG): Schultz, by a little
    Hit/Blk Multi-Cat (....Hits & Blocks): S.Jones, by a little

Dobber Sports Ace

I find it intriguing in these poll questions when the poll winner is fairly clearly one guy (Schultz), and the responses clearly favour another (Jones)

For me, as good of a player as Jones should be, he's yet to play a single game in the NHL. I know one sometimes has to take a chance on those guys, and I know he should be far better in a multi-cat league, but it's hard to go against a guy with 50-60pt potential in Schultz. PP points should be enormous for Schultz down the road.

I know Schultz's hits and blocks will never be high..but his +/- numbers will improve as the Oilers improve and he should blow Jones out of the water in points. I'm sorry, but Jones - in my admittedly limited viewing - doesn't strike me as a big point producer.

And let me add, its tough to disagree with Pengwin7. Solid analysis above me, as usual.
    Last edited by Reuben; May 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Short term: Schultz
    Points only: Schultz
    Long term: Jones
    Multi-cat: Jones

Jones already looks like a man out there.. He is going to have a great career in Colorado..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    I find it intriguing in these poll questions when the poll winner is fairly clearly one guy (Schultz), and the responses clearly favour another (Jones)

For me, as good of a player as Jones should be, he's yet to play a single game in the NHL. I know one sometimes has to take a chance on those guys, and I know he should be far better in a multi-cat league, but it's hard to go against a guy with 50-60pt potential in Schultz. PP points should be enormous for Schultz down the road.

I know Schultz's hits and blocks will never be high..but his +/- numbers will improve as the Oilers improve and he should blow Jones out of the water in points. I'm sorry, but Jones - in my admittedly limited viewing - doesn't strike me as a big point producer.

And let me add, its tough to disagree with Pengwin7. Solid analysis above me, as usual.
    X

This happens when a bunch of people vote for a player whom is on there roster and they love him but read the comments and relize there out to lunch.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Give me Schultz.

That is all.
    14 team keeper Sim league
    40 player 100 year cap,
    C: Giroux, Barzal, Getzlaf, Koivu
    LW: Schenn, Labanc, Neal, Mikeyev, Benn
    RW: Voracek, Kucherov, Wheeler, Garland, Burakovsky
    D: Keith, Weber, Suter, Edler, E. Johnson, Stralman, Cernak
    G: Raanta, Korpisalo, Miller,

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    X

This happens when a bunch of people vote for a player whom is on there roster and they love him but read the comments and relize there out to lunch.
    hahaha! you may be on to something there.

But I stand by my thoughts.

Dobber Sports Padawan

My fear with Jones has been echo'd here. Is he EJ? Is he Hedman? In general the biggest impact dmen are a bit tougher to call.

The last top 3 drafted dman to make a big fantasy impact was Doughty in 2008. Then he regressed into a big NHL impact but less of a fantasy one.

Before him it was Berard and Redden in 1995. And they werent the studs everyone is hoping Jones will be.

The misses (from a fantasy perspective)?

1995 - 3rd Aki Berg
    1996 - 1st Chris Phillips
    1996 - 2nd Andrey Zyuzin
    1998 - 3rd Brad Stuart
    2002 - 3rd Jay Bouwmeester
    2004 - 3rd Cam Barker
    2005 - 3rd Jack Johnson
    2006 - 1st Erik Johnson
    2008 - 2nd Drew Doughty
    2008 - 3rd Zach Bogosian
    2009 - 2nd Victor Hedman (lets say jury's out from here out)
    2010 - 3rd Erik Gudbranson
    2012 - 2nd Ryan Murray

Now obviously a few still could become what everyone is saying about Jones.

But can we be real here? The odds aren't in his favour. In general our "generational" defencemen from a fantasy perspective aren't the one's you'd expect.

So if you feel Schultz's AHL work and NHL work this year have you convinced he's a 50+ point dman then i'd say you're much much safer keeping him.

But honestly. Here's my real question. Do you have Schultz? Or the 2nd overall pick in your draft?

Because if you have Schultz and can trade it for the pick 1 for 1 then do it and take Drouin or MacKinnon. And if you have the pick do NOT trade it for Schultz... Take Drouin or Mackinnon .

You'll be much better off.
    Pool A
    G, A, +/-, PM, PPG, SHG W L T SO SV% GAA
    Cap 80,375,000
    Center: Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, Spezza
    Wing: Ovechkin, Hall, Kessell, Nash, Voracek, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Schwartz
    Defence: Karlsson, Goligoski, Schultz, Barrie, Gardiner, Smith
    Goalie : Lundqvist, Dubnyk, Lehner
    Farm: Monohan, Bjugstad, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Killorn, Rattie

Pool B
    G, A, PTS, +/-, Hits, GWG W SO GAA SV%
    Cap 80,375,000
    F: Ovechkin, Kessell, Lupol, Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, JvR, Forsburg, Landeskog, Etem, Eakin, Saad
    D: Green, Letand, Staal, McDonaugh, Faulk, Barrie
    G: Lundqvist, Halak
    Bench: Lecavalier, Grabovski
    Farm: Shinkaruk, Lindholm, Larsson, Gardiner, Visetin

Dobber Sports Veteran

I've seen too many high dmen picks stumble for a while, I'll take Schultz on that young oilers team about to bust out. (Its gonna happen.. right?)

Dobber Sports Pro

Jones high draft ranking is due to his size. This is from a fantasy perspective, you take Schultz. Ability to play heavy defensive minutes is not a big factor. Points are.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
    Jones high draft ranking is due to his size. This is from a fantasy perspective, you take Schultz. Ability to play heavy defensive minutes is not a big factor. Points are.
    Unless you're in a multi-cat league with hits/blocked shots/ shp

Still, I agree with whoever is saying take a forward with the #2 pick. I don't have jones going until 5/6 in my mock draft.

As for Schultz/jones, it's close..I think jones being compared to EJ is just because they are both American high defensive picks..jones is a way better skater than EJ was, and also EJ had a pretty devastating knee injury early in his career.

Also, I think Jones has to add to his upper body strength/size for the NHL and might not be able to handle the physicality in season1. If they were smart they would let him play down 1 year.
    Last edited by znith; June 5, 2013 at 7:22 AM.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by znith View Post
    Also, I think Jones has to add to his upper body strength/size for the NHL and might not be able to handle the physicality in season1. If they were smart they would let him play down 1 year.
    He's probably one of those cases where another season of junior doesn't really help him but the NHL might be a bit overwhelming and unfortunately due the the CHL/NHL agreement, he can't play in the AHL.

And to the original question, fantasy-wise I would take Schultz.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year