Thread: Ovechkin+ for Crosby+

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Ovechkin+ for Crosby+

So I finished second in my league this year. Had the most points through the season by a pretty significant margin but ran into a team in the championship whose goalies were hot and mine were absolutely not. I really don't think I need to make any significant changes; however, I do need to upgrade my goalies. Our trade freeze doesn't end until July 1, but I have been throwing out feelers over the last few days just to make sure the other teams know I'm willing to deal come that time. I came across information that the owner of Jimmy Howard may be willing to move him. I'm not a huge fan of Howard but he's certainly an upgrade over the next couple of years over Markstrom (right?).

Long story short, the negotiations evolved pretty extensively to a tentative offer of: My Ovechkin, Benn, and Markstrom for Crosby and Howard. What do you guys think?
    8 teams, H2H daily start league
    Keep 5, max 1 goalie

Skaters - G (3 pts), A (2), PPG (1), PPA (0.5), SHG (2), SHA (1), GWG (2), HT (5), PIM (0.3), Hits (0.1), BS (0.2)
    Goalies - W (5), OTL (2), GA (-1), SV (0.2), SO (3)

F (17, Start 12): Ovechkin, Tavares, Seguin, McDavid, Couture, Toffoli, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Scheifele, Schenn, Stepan, Voracek, Wheeler, Fabri, E. Kane, Galchenyuk, Barkov, Stastny, Spezza (IR), Sheary (IR)
    D (5, Start 4): Giordano, Schultz, Markov, Phaneuf, Shattenkirk
    G (3, Start 2): Holtby, Lundqvist, Johnson

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm assuming this is for your league in your sig? If so, then there's no way I'm doing this deal. In your format, which is hugely goal-heavy, and counts hits, Ovi is more valuable than Sid, not to mention Sid's knack for rarely staying healthy for a full season. If Ovi can return to his 50+ goal, 300+ hit self (like he showed the second half of the season, then you easily have the best player in your format.

So right away, you trade away the most valuable player in the deal given your format IMO. On top of that, you also ship Benn who is going to be a 70+ point player next season and is also a multi-cat contributor. Markstrom is a blue-chip goalie who could be money in the bank in 2-3 years if Florida can pull it together.

In my opinion, you are vastly overpaying for Howard who is a mediocre goalie on a declining Detroit team. You said it yourself, you finished in second place, why panic? Crazy shit happens all the time in H2H, and you get unlucky or run into a crazy hot team.....you can't make knee-jerk reactions and make major trades to try and compensate, it's a recipe for disaster. With Price and Niemi you are more than fine in net.......get rid of Bryz and find a solid #3 and you are set. You are forcing a move where one doesn't need to me made IMO. Wait and see what happens with Markstrom this season.....Florida will be healthier and a better team. He may do just fine as your #3 goalie behind PRice and Niemi. He sure can't do much worse than Bryz did, look at it that way, haha.

My recommendation is to not get an itchy trigger finger.....there is going to be a ton of goalie movement this offseason, if you are going to make a move at least wait and see how it all shakes out.
    Last edited by Shiva Blaster; May 16, 2013 at 9:37 AM.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I agree with Shiva, bad trade for you, but also don't expect Ovie to ever pump in 50+ again. It isn't gonna happen.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I agree with Shiva, bad trade for you, but also don't expect Ovie to ever pump in 50+ again. It isn't gonna happen.
    He was on pace for 54 goals this season (with a slow start).

The trade doesn't make much sense in my eyes either. You have two great 'tenders now and possibly the best "soon-to-be-starter" goaltending prospect as well. Hold tight.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I would not do the deal either. Crosby is Crosby, but Ovie and Benn are hugely valuable players in your format in their own right given their contributions to the non-scoring related categories.

Also, I'm not entirely convinced that Howard is an upgrade on Markstrom in the medium to long-term. I'd view Howard as a clear upgrade for the next season or two, but the Wings are going to be quite a different team in a couple years as Dats, Zetterberg and Franzen ride off into the sunset. Can never count out the possibility that the Wings will simply reload rather than rebuild (they've done it time and again over the last 20 years), but going from Markstrom to Howard is not a clear cut long-term upgrade for you IMO. Florida looked like garbage this year, but they have been accumulating talent and will obviously get another marquee prospect at 2nd overall this season (whether it be Drouin to play with Hubs, or Jones to anchor the blue line, you gotta like it).

So all in all, I'd stand pat on this one notwithstanding the fact that Crosby would be coming back your way.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Dobber Sports Demi-God

In a league counting 10F... Benn is a significant piece here.
    While I like Crosby over Ovechkin... Benn tips the scales way back to the Ovechkin side.

I like Jimmy Howard, but I do have long-term concerns about Detroit, especially if it could be Datsyuk's last year in the NHL, next year.

I'd keep OV/Benn/Markstrom.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thanks for all the advice guys! I guess I was a little thrown because I've really wanted Crosby for a long time and the owner has long said he would never trade him.
    8 teams, H2H daily start league
    Keep 5, max 1 goalie

Skaters - G (3 pts), A (2), PPG (1), PPA (0.5), SHG (2), SHA (1), GWG (2), HT (5), PIM (0.3), Hits (0.1), BS (0.2)
    Goalies - W (5), OTL (2), GA (-1), SV (0.2), SO (3)

F (17, Start 12): Ovechkin, Tavares, Seguin, McDavid, Couture, Toffoli, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Scheifele, Schenn, Stepan, Voracek, Wheeler, Fabri, E. Kane, Galchenyuk, Barkov, Stastny, Spezza (IR), Sheary (IR)
    D (5, Start 4): Giordano, Schultz, Markov, Phaneuf, Shattenkirk
    G (3, Start 2): Holtby, Lundqvist, Johnson

Dobber Sports Icon

I agree with the rest, the Benn is the tipper here. Way too valuable to include here.

There is always the chance you will overpay for the guy you want, but there has to be a balance btwn overpaying and getting screwed. This is a "getting screwed" moment.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Giant

id take the ovi side by far. i do belive ovi is back to his old self again though. with hits as a cat. ovi is a beast. not to mention benn. no deal.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO