Poll: Will Selanne play another season?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Selanne to contemplate return?

Banned

Default Selanne to contemplate return?

This is what he had to say on the matter:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...ment-or-return

I get the feeling he'll come back for one more year if he can, I know he'll want to play in the Olympics and to do that he'll have to be in game shape.

what do you guys think? will he play or retire?

Dobber Sports Genius

Yes for me.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Administrator

My concern with Selanne is his decline in points over the last three years from 80 to 66 to 24 (43 over 82 games not factoring in potential injuries). If he can play at a 20-goal, 40-point level he still belongs in the league. If not then he'll probably be stuck with a lesser role with fewer minutes. The numbers could be ugly IMO. I'd love to see him succeed though.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

He's obviously really slowing down, after his great start to this season he really hit a wall. Like ericd said, if he can play at a 20G clip then he has a place in the league. I'd really hate to see him leave but would also hate to see him do what Brett Hull did a few years ago - start the season and then realise a little bit in that he just can't play any more.

I do think he has another season in him but I also wouldn't be surprised if he hangs them up. It will be very sad for me when he does, but father time and all that...truly one of the all-time great players and great guys to ever play the game, class and skill all the way.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    He's obviously really slowing down, after his great start to this season he really hit a wall. Like ericd said, if he can play at a 20G clip then he has a place in the league. I'd really hate to see him leave but would also hate to see him do what Brett Hull did a few years ago - start the season and then realise a little bit in that he just can't play any more.

I do think he has another season in him but I also wouldn't be surprised if he hangs them up. It will be very sad for me when he does, but father time and all that...truly one of the all-time great players and great guys to ever play the game, class and skill all the way.
    Actually my view on him staying past his expiry date is a purely selfish one. I just hate seeing oldies enter the "sad" state where they're just not meant for the NHL anymore. But if someone is willing to pay then good for the player.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

Talking

I own him in one of my leagues so if he does come back, I hope he signs a real cheap contract
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

If he makes a commitment to offseason fitness, he'll be fine.

If he's not motivated, he'll retire.

He's taking the right approach, waiting 4-6 weeks, and then making a decision based on how he feels mentally/physically. The shortened season likely took a toll, and he'll get more rest in a full season with more off days.

If I was Selanne, I would re-sign in the East where his travel schedule would be way easier, but doubt he would consider anywhere other than playing in Anaheim. Another question, do the Ducks want him back, or do they want to start giving their younger players a larger role, which would eat into Selanne's minutes/role.

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Veteran

9 points in his last 35 games this season. Au revoir Teemu, it's been great.
    Follow me for some fantasy hockey, Jays tweets @thelandshock

Dobber Sports Ninja

He needs to retire while he's still got some measure of respect and credibility.

Hate to see legends outliving their stay and tarnishing their legacy.

Dobber Sports Genius

I think his age is finally catching up despite his dedication to fitness. Like it was mentioned with regard to Brett Hull, it would be unfortunate to see him come back and be two steps behind but he already seems to be trending in that direction.

It's been a good run Teemu, time to relax.
    Last edited by hockeymanG23; May 15, 2013 at 5:05 PM.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post
    If he makes a commitment to offseason fitness, he'll be fine.

If he's not motivated, he'll retire.

He's taking the right approach, waiting 4-6 weeks, and then making a decision based on how he feels mentally/physically. The shortened season likely took a toll, and he'll get more rest in a full season with more off days.

If I was Selanne, I would re-sign in the East where his travel schedule would be way easier, but doubt he would consider anywhere other than playing in Anaheim. Another question, do the Ducks want him back, or do they want to start giving their younger players a larger role, which would eat into Selanne's minutes/role.

Cheers.
    that's sorta how I feel about it, I've yet to hear a single player in the league say that they weren't more tired than usual this season due to the compressed schedule so it's hardly surprising that it hit Teemu like it did. The biggest reason he's been able to play so well this late into his career is conditioning and hard work, as long as he's up for that he'll still be a force to be reckoned with

Dobber Sports Ninja

On one hand, it kind of sucks to have your last season be a shortened season due to lockout.

On the other hand, there's something to be said about going out on your own terms like Lidstrom.

Whatever he decides, I'm sure there will be some who are happy/upset. I'd probably rather see him hang em up while he still has something as opposed to see him slowly fizzle.

Dobber Sports Guru

Come back Teemu!
    (so I can trade you while you have some degree of value)
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Pro

Hmm get paid millions of dollars to live in Cali? Yes, please.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Ross The Boss Palmer View Post
    Hmm get paid millions of dollars to live in Cali? Yes, please.
    I guess that's the logical way of looking at it...........