Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NHL Goalie Market

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default NHL Goalie Market

The goalie market is one of the most interesting things for me to follow every summer. Here is how I see it break down this year:

Markets in need of a goalie:
    1. Calgary - assuming Kipper retires
    2. Philly – assuming the spaceman is bought out
    3. Florida – but maybe they go with Markstrom
    4. Phoenix – Smith UFA
    5. Islander – Nabokov UFA
    6. Minny – Backstrom UFA. Maybe the reigns get handed to Harding
    7. Buffalo – if they trade Miller

Goalies available either through trade or free agency:
    1. Backstrom
    2. Smith
    3. Nabokov
    4. Miller
    5. Luongo
    6. Bernier
    7. Halak
    8. Bryzgalov
    9. That career backup who get signed to platoon with a younger guy (i.e. Garon to Lindback in Tampa this year)

As usual the goalies outnumber the markets. Any predictions on how it plays out? Any dark horses to target who might end up in a starting role (as Smith did two years ago). Who of the goalies is without a chair when the music stops?

Dobber Sports Deity

You can add the Bulin Wall to that list of UFAs as well. It's going to be interesting.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

it is going to be interesting which is why i could not for the life of me figure out what happened in TB

stevie y paid prices like goalies were much scarcer than they actually are

Administrator

1. Calgary - I assume they go after a forgotten guy or two hoping to strike gold at a cheap overall cap hit.
    2. Philly – I think Bryz is bought out. Mason + vet next year. Wouldn't be surprised to see Smith or Luongo land here as free agents.
    3. Florida – Markstrom + Clemmensen next year.
    4. Phoenix – Going to try to land the next Mike Smith. Nobody wants to sign there so they will be stuck turning chicken shit into chicken salad.
    5. Islander – Nabokov stays.
    6. Minny – I think Backstrom stays because of familiarity. Harding too risky to be a #1.
    7. Buffalo – They could trade Miller and if they do it'll likely be Enroth + vet.

6. Bernier - Could be on the move but not sure where. LA has a deep roster so it's tough to pinpoint trade matches. Maybe for a top 4 dman...
    7. Halak - Candidate for the Phoenix and Calgary jobs.
    8. Bryzgalov - KHL bound (hunch)

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Tim Thomas is UFA as well.

Dobber Sports Deity

1. Calgary - Kipper is done. Ramo comes over and forms tandom with Joey MacDonald.
    2. Philly – Status quo. Buyout too crazy to pay Bryz.
    3. Florida – Markstrom rolls into starter roll with Clemmenson as backup
    4. Phoenix – Signs Jose Theodore because they are too cheap to pay anyone else.
    5. Islanders – Loungo comes here after monster trade on draft day.
    6. Minny – Has the assets to make a deal for Bernier.
    7. Buffalo – Trades Miller. Hackett and Enroth will lead the attack here
    8. New Jersey - Broduer stays for the last year of his deal, and resigns for 2 more.

As far as some of the other goalies listed, the one that jumped out at me was Halak. Maybe its just me but I see them dealing Elliot and keeping Halak to form tandem with Jake Allen.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Tim Thomas is UFA as well.
    If the Islanders don't toll his contract... or have they already indicated that they wouldn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    1. Calgary - Kipper is done. Ramo comes over and forms tandom with Joey MacDonald.
    2. Philly – Status quo. Buyout too crazy to pay Bryz.
    3. Florida – Markstrom rolls into starter roll with Clemmenson as backup
    4. Phoenix – Signs Jose Theodore because they are too cheap to pay anyone else.
    5. Islanders – Loungo comes here after monster trade on draft day.
    6. Minny – Has the assets to make a deal for Bernier.
    7. Buffalo – Trades Miller. Hackett and Enroth will lead the attack here
    8. New Jersey - Broduer stays for the last year of his deal, and resigns for 2 more.

As far as some of the other goalies listed, the one that jumped out at me was Halak. Maybe its just me but I see them dealing Elliot and keeping Halak to form tandem with Jake Allen.
    I agree with the first 3. Bernier in Minny would be interesting and they need some insurance for Harding if Backstrom doesn't resign.

Rumour has Halak causing issues in Blues locker room and could be moved. Doesn't get along with Hitchcock well apparently. Could see him wind up in Phoenix, Buffalo or Calgary.

I could actually see the Hurricanes looking for insurance for Ward given his spotty play/injuries plus the fact that they seem to be making big moves to become competitive again. I wouldn't expect them to go after Bernier or Luongo but maybe some older veteran who will push Ward to be better like a Thomas or Theodore.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Don't believe I have heard anything about Isles tolling the contract, Rex. But that doesn't mean much - I have no idea other than if Thomas is ready for a return to play then someone should be putting their hands on him.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    If the Islanders don't toll his contract... or have they already indicated that they wouldn't?

I agree with the first 3. Bernier in Minny would be interesting and they need some insurance for Harding if Backstrom doesn't resign.

Rumour has Halak causing issues in Blues locker room and could be moved. Doesn't get along with Hitchcock well apparently. Could see him wind up in Phoenix, Buffalo or Calgary.

I could actually see the Hurricanes looking for insurance for Ward given his spotty play/injuries plus the fact that they seem to be making big moves to become competitive again. I wouldn't expect them to go after Bernier or Luongo but maybe some older veteran who will push Ward to be better like a Thomas or Theodore.
    These are just my estimates on what will happen in the offseason. Some may happen, most probably wont but those are my best guesses.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post

These are just my estimates on what will happen in the offseason. Some may happen, most probably wont but those are my best guesses. This is the first I have heard of any issues in the Blues dressing room. Interesting if that is in fact the case.

Dobber Sports Guru

Fleury could be in the mix as well. If that happens, then Pittsburgh may be looking for another goalie. I could see them going after Bernier or Backstrom, as they're probably looking for a cheap option.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Guru

Anaheim may look to move either Hiller or Fasth to cut some costs where they could most easily do so. Hiller will also be UFA in a year so now's the last time Anaheim can get something good in return for him. That's another situation to look at.

Ray Emery is UFA this summer and is coming from a great season. He may be a cheap option for someone like Phoenix or Buffalo (if they move Miller).

And like said above, Fleury may hit the market as well. It'll depend how the rest of the playoffs go for the Penguins, Vokoun and Fleury.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    This is the first I have heard of any issues in the Blues dressing room. Interesting if that is in fact the case.
    http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...4c5964559.html
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Deity

Thanks for the share! First I heard of it. This could certainly make things interesting in St Louis.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I'm damn glad I traded for Pavelec before the deadline. Sitting on both Halak and Bryz at this moment is handcuffing me in terms of player movement and trades. I have no idea what will happen with them and it's two tricky situations to try and get a good read on, so I don't know what I will have to do to correct them...
    GO WINGS!