View Poll Results: Keep Ward or Bobrovsky?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sergei Bobrovsky (CBJ)

21 48.84%
  • Cam Ward (CAR)

22 51.16%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keeper goalie. Ward or Bobrovsky?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Keeper goalie. Ward or Bobrovsky?

Hey guys.. So I was able to enjoy adding Bobrovsky mid season and ended up with a 3rd place finish I would have otherwise probably wouldnt have grabbed. I have kept Ward for a few years now and it will certainly be tough to let him go. But, Bobrovsky was simply amazing. But, will he keep it up? I can I trust a blue jackets goalie as a keeper?

See my league info below.
    12GM, H2H, Keep 4F, 3D, 1G
    Forwards/Dmen: G A P +/- PIM PPG PPA PPP SHP GWG
    Goalies: W GAA SV SV% SHO

Dobber Sports Padawan

Surprisingly, Bobkrovsky's won me over, and I think he's Columbus' goalie of the future/present. That being said, I still prefer Ward to him. I like Carolina to be better next year, and my only big reserve with Cam is his injuries, but really it's just this year and 2009-10 that he missed serious time.
    12 Team Keeper League, 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 1G, 6 BN, 3 IR
    Keep 20 players
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, L, GA, SV, SO

C: Toews, Skinner, Eller, Hertl, Granlund, Jenner, Lindholm
    LW: Boedker, Galchenyuk, Silfverberg, M. Richards
    RW: Yakupov, Nichushkin, Gaborik, Setoguchi, Niederreiter
    D: Karlsson, Subban, Goligoski, D. Kulikov, Carlson, Brodin, Trouba
    G: Price, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I'd take Bobrovsky as well, Carolina is not an impressive team to me and Ward was not very effective this season.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Interesting so far Ward > Bobrovsky by a pretty significant margin. Seems like people dont trust Bobrovsky going into the future. I have my doubts too. But, Ward hasnt been amazing in the last few years. The valuable thing with Ward is his super stater role where he plays almost every game.. which is always great for racking up saves and W. But you can pretty much be sure that Bobrovsky will start almost every game next year as well.. Especially now with Mason gone... Its gonna be a tough one to decide on..

Dobber Sports Monster

I think it's about equal here. I like Ward a tick better simply due to experience, however I do like Bobvrosky quite a bit as well.

Based on experience and trust I take Ward.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'd personally go with Cam Ward.

I think now is a good time to sell on Bobrovsky if you can get a biter, see if you can sell him after this Vezina quality year to somebody to upgrade your keeper. Not saying that he won't be able to continue to succeed, but damn those numbers are going to be tough to replicate even if it were another shortened season, let alone a full 82 game season. Too small of a sample size for me to be convinced that the Blue Jackets are for real, perhaps assuming that they aren't at my own peril but god they were horrible for so long.

Another way to look at this though is depending on your league mates you could gamble on Ward being easy to redraft (he may be, despite saves being a category).

Dobber Sports Ace

I have Ward and Bobrovsky as my goalies on my squad as well and I plan to keep Ward. Like the other posters have mentioned, Bob's sample size is too small and Ward was turning things around after a very slow start to the season before his injury.

That said, I feel that Columbus are on their way to becoming a very strong team and if Bob can remain their starting goalie, he will be a very good option. For that reason, I may change my mind as the summer rolls along.

I would also strongly consider keeping Goligoski over Markov. Markov had a great season point wise but is a huge band-aid boy. I like Goli long-term.
    12 team Rotisserie league (No positional requirements: 7 Keepers of which 2 must be Farm eligible).
    Active Roster consists of: 6 FW, 4 D, 2 G and 6 Bench.
    Scoring Cats: G (10x), A (10x), SOG (10x), HT (10x), BS (10x), PIM (10x), TK (10x), +/- (5x); W (10x), SV (10x), SO (5x)

FW: ​Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Keller, Jarvis, Barbashev, Kyrou, Raymond
    D: Dobson, Nurse, Sergachev, Andersson, Zadorov, York
    G: Oettinger, Raanta, Copley, Vejmelka
    IR: Hamilton
    Farm (165 games for F/D and 100 games for G): Wolf, Fantilli

Dobber Sports Giant

I really appreciate and respect what Bobrobsky was able to do this year with a mostly average CBJ squad -- he kept them in tons of games they had no business being in, and IMO he's run away with the Vezina trophy (Niemi only real challenge). I scooped Bob up off waivers near midseason in my main 1-yr league and he definitely helped me take home the title ...

BUT it's just too small a sample size to keep him over Ward - a guy who's been one of the most steady, underrated fantasy goalies over the past several years. We all remember Steve Mason's rookie season, and we all know someone who sold the farm to acquire him. How did that one turn out?

I don't mean to say that Bobrovsky's situation is identical to Mason, nor do I think Bobrovsky will have a serious slump next season. But I bring up Mason because he is a classic case of a player who becomes overvalued significantly due to stellar performance in a small sample size. For this reason I think Bobrovsky is a great guy to dangle to the rest of your league mates, playing off the hype / future upside on a developing, young team that plays a defensively responsible style of hockey. To the right manager Bobrovsky could net a serious return.

Ultimately, Ward is the safest choice and he will rebound next season for a CAR team that failed miserably to meet expectations this year.

Short answer: Keep Ward. Trade Bobrovsky.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Veteran

Here's a good thread you might want to check out:

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showthread.php?t=151960

Here's what I said:

I've been asking myself this question for the past month now and still don't really know the answer.

My league counts GAA and SV% which makes the choice even more difficult.

Here are some questions I've been asking myself. What brand of hockey does each team play? Carolina plays a high octane game that is not very structured defensively. Yes, Ward is good, but this makes his stats very inconsistent. Columbus plays a tight defensive game. They don't get a lot of goals, but they sure as heck don't allow a lot either.

What D-men are in the pipeline for each team? Carolina has Justin Faulk as an up and comer and also... well, that's it. Sorry, Ryan Murray is all offense. Their D sucks, it has for some time and there is no evidence of it getting better on the horizon. Columbus' strength is D-depth in their system. They have Ryan Murray and Tim Erixon in the pipeline, Jack Johnson as well as Nikitin, the reliable Aucoin and Tyutin, and up and comers Prout and Savard. It's the opposite of Carolina. Their only weak link defensively is Wiz.

History is the final thing I thought about. Cam Ward has a great history of being a workhorse #1 in the NHL. However, his GAA (albeit a team stat) has been his consistently worst stat. He was starting to turn it around right before he got hurt. How much does Carolina need Ward? Well, a lot but look at Peters and Ellis' stats. They're not that far off from Ward's stats before he got hurt. Maybe that tells us something about Carolina. Oh yeah, I already said it, they suck defensively and are moving to a tougher conference (just like Columbus).

Continuing on history... Bobrovsky doesn't have the Conn Smythe NHL winning history Cam Ward has, but he had a phenomenal rookie year (better than Ward's first few seasons in the NHL!). I think a lot can be attributed to Bob's crappy sophomore year is the signing of Bryzgalov. After being the #1 a year ago he was relegated to being the backup. It messed with his head, it would mess with any young goalies head, especially after a good rookie year and being in Philly kills goalies. I encourage you to check out Bob's KHL stats. They're not too far behind Varly's. He's been working with the Columbus goalie coach and getting so much better each game. Even the goalie coach praised his talent and work ethic.

Cam Ward might be a great goalie but the team system the goalie plays in counts for a lot. Fantasy hockey is risk/reward. Cam Ward COULD be Vezina candidate in a system like Nashville or St. Louis... but I don't see that happening in Carolina in the forseeable future which means inconsistent stats. Bob is a younger, up and coming goalie playing in a defensive system. If Brian Elliott can put up stats on a team like St. Louis. Bob will be a top 10, maybe even top 5 goalie for a long time.

Take a chance on Bob. I think I am.
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Dobber Sports Giant

Default @ va

Solid post, VA. Those are all very, VERY good points. There is some legit upside to the Bobrovsky situation. I suppose it depends on whether or not you are risk-averse.

If you like home run swings, go for Bobrovsky. If not, take Ward. Both are certainly more than capable of producing a quality fantasy season next year.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

The Wolverine

For me, the answer is simple: keep the guy that will net you less in a trade.

This is a H2H league, so looking at full season numbers is largely irrelevant. You have 10 forward categories and 5 goalie ones. Though SHO rarely come into play on a weekly basis so I would look at it as a 10/4 setup. Two of the goalie cats are counting ones, so really all you need is a workhorse (or two) and hope some weeks are great to help in the ratios. I don't think you need high end goaltending to be successful in this league - your skaters will be the difference.

So my suggestion: put both on the block and see what offers come in. If you get good value for one of them, consider taking it.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I really appreciate and respect what Bobrobsky was able to do this year with a mostly average CBJ squad -- he kept them in tons of games they had no business being in, and IMO he's run away with the Vezina trophy (Niemi only real challenge). I scooped Bob up off waivers near midseason in my main 1-yr league and he definitely helped me take home the title ...

BUT it's just too small a sample size to keep him over Ward - a guy who's been one of the most steady, underrated fantasy goalies over the past several years. We all remember Steve Mason's rookie season, and we all know someone who sold the farm to acquire him. How did that one turn out?

I don't mean to say that Bobrovsky's situation is identical to Mason, nor do I think Bobrovsky will have a serious slump next season. But I bring up Mason because he is a classic case of a player who becomes overvalued significantly due to stellar performance in a small sample size. For this reason I think Bobrovsky is a great guy to dangle to the rest of your league mates, playing off the hype / future upside on a developing, young team that plays a defensively responsible style of hockey. To the right manager Bobrovsky could net a serious return.

Ultimately, Ward is the safest choice and he will rebound next season for a CAR team that failed miserably to meet expectations this year.

Short answer: Keep Ward. Trade Bobrovsky.
    Did you really say Ward was underrated???? I do not get how there are so many Ward apologists on this site. He has hever had a GAA under 2.44 and only once did have a save % over 920. If anything he is overrated. He is at best a 2 in fantasy and yet so many people on this site think hes one of the best goalies alive. He had a few years with a bunch of wins and that is great in fantasy but to be a sure fire keeper show me, even once as Bobs had you can be under 2.10 and over 925.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by joeygmoney View Post
    Did you really say Ward was underrated???? I do not get how there are so many Ward apologists on this site. He has hever had a GAA under 2.44 and only once did have a save % over 920. If anything he is overrated. He is at best a 2 in fantasy and yet so many people on this site think hes one of the best goalies alive. He had a few years with a bunch of wins and that is great in fantasy but to be a sure fire keeper show me, even once as Bobs had you can be under 2.10 and over 925.
    My sentiments exactly. He might face more shots than any goalie in the NHL but that's a team system trait and it's not changing anytime soon. Carolina relies on its offense and Ward to win games, not good, solid defensive hockey.

I think Ward and Bobrovsky are both excellent goalies but you have to give the nod to Bobrovsky here. Bob is an excellent goalie playing in a great defensive system. Ward is an excellent goalie that plays in a terrible defensive system.

When looking at a player from a fantasy perspective you have to look at the system and team-makeup as well. You'd likely choose a top 6 forward in Philly before you took a top 6 forward in St. Louis because in the Flyers system they rely on their top 6 more while the Blues spread their ice-time around.
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by joeygmoney View Post
    Read my mind. Wardo has burned me a few times. A little overrated in my opinion when it comes to GAA and SV%. Work horse definitely. Quality goalie absolutely, but not always in fantasy.
    Member of OCHA

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks for the great discussion. Lots of very good points. This is exactly why I am having such a brain fart with this one. Because I know Ward is a great goalie playing on a team that wont give him much help... While Bobrovsky proved he can be a stud, granted a small sample size, while playing for a more defensive minded team.

Just an FYI, I cant trade any of em. The season is over, no off season trades on our league.

Another interesting question is, who will be picked first by other teams on the draft? I could potentially draft the other next year.. I usually pick a goalie with my first pick.