Thread: Keeper Decisions

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Keeper Decisions

I've got some tough keeper decisions to make and need some input.

Cats, roster and league details in my signature.

I can keep 9, goalies are very important in the league as are well rounded F and D since the cats include SHG, PPG, PPA and GWG. There also is emphasis on players from good teams since +/- is a cat, one that unfortunately hurt my chances this year of winning.

We have a cap of $250 for the draft/start of season; my 9 keepers have to be cheap enough to allow room to draft the rest of a competitive roster and having cap space at the draft is a strong advantage.

This is the group I would be choosing my keepers from:

F: Couture, Duchene, Benn, Hall, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Tarasenko

D: OEL, Shattenkirk, Doughty, Phanuef

G: Price, Bobrovsky

Couture is on the expensive side, Tarasenko & Bob were picked up off the wire thus their $20 costs and I've soured a bit on OEL due to his slump/team.
    Champion: 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016
    12 Team Keeper League - 12F, 6D, 3G, 3 Bench (Keep 6, in Bold)
    $250 Cap (0-9 +3; 10-19 +4; >20 +5 each season)
    WW = $10

G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, GWG, SHG, W, GAA, SV%, SO - Points Based League

F: Guentzel (15), Point (11), Barzal (18), WNylander (15), Trochek (1), Eberle (1), Domi (4), Toffoli (1), TBertuzzi (1), Buchnevich (1), Tuch (1), Puljujarvi (1)

D: Theodore (17), Heiskanen (15), Pulock (7), Sanheim (1), Faulk (1), Morrissey (1)

G: Markstrom (7), Saros (15), Binnington (39), Jarry (40)

B: DeSmith (1), Lindblom (1)

IR or Out: Ghost (1), OEL (9), Teravainen (28), PMyers (1)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Front89 View Post
    I've got some tough keeper decisions to make and need some input.

Cats, roster and league details in my signature.

I can keep 9, goalies are very important in the league as are well rounded F and D since the cats include SHG, PPG, PPA and GWG. There also is emphasis on players from good teams since +/- is a cat, one that unfortunately hurt my chances this year of winning.

We have a cap of $250 for the draft/start of season; my 9 keepers have to be cheap enough to allow room to draft the rest of a competitive roster and having cap space at the draft is a strong advantage.

This is the group I would be choosing my keepers from:

F: Couture (29), Duchene (10), Benn (10), Hall (23), Pacioretty (15), Galchenyuk (1), Tarasenko (20)

D: OEL (4), Shattenkirk (5), Doughty (14), Phanuef (1)

G: Price (20), Bobrovsky (20)

Couture is on the expensive side, Tarasenko & Bob were picked up off the wire thus their $20 costs and I've soured a bit on OEL due to his slump/team.
    I'm not sure how Ovie isn't a keeper even at his price, but these players seem to be the best bang for your buck if cap is your main concern.
    24 GM – 3 Tier Salary Cap Roto Dynasty League + Roto Playoffs (Keep 32 of 35)
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, STP, HITS, BS, W, GAA, SV | 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G

C - Crosby, W.Nylander, Kempe, B.Howden, Wallmark, Z.Sanford, Newhook
    LW - Ovechkin, Vrana, S.Bennett, Lehkonen, Aston-Reese, T.Benson, S.Poulin
    RW - JT.Miller, Coleman, Gourde, Dzingel, Tippett, Volkov
    D - Klingberg, Chabot, Slavin, Matheson, Chychrun, Sanheim, D.Toews, E.Bouchard, Cholowski
    G - J.Gibson, DeSmith, Sparks, Luukkonen, Starrett

Dobber Sports Ace

I agree with the other poster, I'd try to fit OV in. Get your savings by drafting cheap d-men.

F: Ovechkin(53), Hall (23), Couture(29), Benn(10), Galchenyuk(1), Duchene (10), Ribeiro(1), Tlusty(20), Pacioretty (15), Berglund(1), Roy(1), Tarasenko(20)

D: OEL(4), Shattenkirk(5), Phaneuf(1), Timonen(20), Doughty(16), Kindl(20)

G: Miller(45), Bobrovsky(20), Price(20)
    Last edited by MJ Flex; May 12, 2013 at 9:13 AM.
    12 team Rotisserie league (No positional requirements: 7 Keepers of which 2 must be Farm eligible).
    Active Roster consists of: 6 FW, 4 D, 2 G and 6 Bench.
    Scoring Cats: G (10x), A (10x), SOG (10x), HT (10x), BS (10x), PIM (10x), TK (10x), +/- (5x); W (10x), SV (10x), SO (5x)

FW: ​Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Keller, Jarvis, Barbashev, Kyrou, Raymond
    D: Dobson, Nurse, Sergachev, Andersson, Zadorov, York
    G: Oettinger, Raanta, Copley, Vejmelka
    IR: Hamilton
    Farm (165 games for F/D and 100 games for G): Wolf, Fantilli

Dobber Sports Ace

F: Ovechkin(53), Hall (23), Couture(29), Benn(10), Galchenyuk(1), Duchene (10), Ribeiro(1), Pacioretty (15)
    D: OEL(4), Shattenkirk(5), Doughty(16)
    G: Bobrovsky(20), Price(20)

IMO you have to select from these players.

I think you have to keep 2 goalies for sure (Bob and Price) and OEL, Shatts, and Doughty look like a steal at there prices. So that leaves you with 4 forwards to protect. Ribeiro is a tough call depending where he signs but you have him for a great contract if he stays in Washington. I think Galy, Benn and Duchene are very cheap contracts to keep. Hall has a bit of an injury history.

You have to ask yourself how much would AO go for in the draft? If he would go around the same then you have to protect him.

I would keep AO, Benn, Duchene, and Hall or Galchenyuk

Good luck with your choice, some tough calls
    Member of OCHA

Dobber Sports Ace

Thanks everyone...the issue with keeping OV is he would cost 58 next year (every year anyone 20> goes up 5) which is more than 1/5 of my entire cap. If I go into the draft with limited cap, I'd not be able to compete to get other elite players - when each person's draft spot comes up, they propose a player, each person has a chance to bid and then the original proposer gets last bid...so the price can go very high and if one does not have cap space you're out of the bidding even if you were the original proposer. Thus to ensure maximum flexibility (and the ability to re-draft OV for possiby less than 58) its good to have alot of cap space.

I agree with the two goalie approach and want to keep all 3 D-men which as stated leaves me only 4 spots for F. Now F are the easiest to get & deepest talent pool so it makes sense to go less there, but I'm not sure I could get Hall for less than 28 or Pacioretty for 19.

Tough choices indeed...
    Champion: 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016
    12 Team Keeper League - 12F, 6D, 3G, 3 Bench (Keep 6, in Bold)
    $250 Cap (0-9 +3; 10-19 +4; >20 +5 each season)
    WW = $10

G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, GWG, SHG, W, GAA, SV%, SO - Points Based League

F: Guentzel (15), Point (11), Barzal (18), WNylander (15), Trochek (1), Eberle (1), Domi (4), Toffoli (1), TBertuzzi (1), Buchnevich (1), Tuch (1), Puljujarvi (1)

D: Theodore (17), Heiskanen (15), Pulock (7), Sanheim (1), Faulk (1), Morrissey (1)

G: Markstrom (7), Saros (15), Binnington (39), Jarry (40)

B: DeSmith (1), Lindblom (1)

IR or Out: Ghost (1), OEL (9), Teravainen (28), PMyers (1)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well keeping 2 goalies (which I agree with btw) kinda forces you to decide whether 2D or 3D is the right ratio to go into the draft with - I think you know what you want to do there and it isn't a bad call on OEL, Doughty and Shattenkirk. So 4F looks easy now - Duchene, Galchenyuk and Benn look like no brainers to me and I think Hall just carries too much upside for the price not to keep him.