Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bizzare Leafs Coaching

Dobber Sports Padawan

Question Bizzare Leafs Coaching

How can the Leafs coach scratch Gardiner for most of the season, yet when facing playoff elimination give him the most ice time of all the Leaf skaters.
    Championships

Ottawa Sun regular season champion.
    Yahoo.champion
    Scoresheet championship

Dobber Sports Stud

By admitting that he was wrong about Gardiner?
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Icon

Hes earned it with his play last game.
    Not to mention Fraser was out.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Wink Gardiner

I am a big Gardiner guy. I believe teams need a top puck rusher from the back end. Like Green in Washington at his best for example. Just do not understand how to explain the coaching decision regarding his use this season.
    Championships

Ottawa Sun regular season champion.
    Yahoo.champion
    Scoresheet championship

Dobber Sports Icon

He wasnt healthy and when he came back he lost his confidence.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

And he plays Tyler Bozak (goal, I know, but killed on the draw and not great defensively) way more than a vastly superior player in Grabovski.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Sophomore

In regards to Gardiner - when he first was called back up to the NHL this year, he didn't play well at all - many defensive miscues. I am a big Gardiner fan, and thought that he should play more, but to be honest when he did he did not play well.

All the sudden he is doing all the things he wasn't doing - being physical, being relatively responsible defensively, and making those great breakout passes that he's known for.

Great to see that he's turned it around.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Also with a future top 4 of Phaneuf, Franson, Gardiner, and Rielly this team will be beastly on the blue line.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

You ready to give Gardiner and Rielly the crazy tough minutes that Dion has been logging? He's not worth 6+ in a new cap era, but there is no one to replace what he does right now. There is a reason he struggles at times...

After OEL and Z Michalek, he faced the toughest competition in the league last year (from a Corsi standpoint, which measures puck possession).

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67#

And he started 41 percent of his shifts in the offensive zone. Simply put I don't think anyone else on Toronto's team can do the heavy lifting as well as Dion can.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post

If no one on the Leafs team is better suited to handle those duties, it's up to Nonis to fix that situation.
    Please elaborate on who he should be targeting and how he could make that happen.

Here's a link to the UFA's available this year:

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents?y...D&fa_type_id=2

Not sure anyone jumps out as an improvement over Dion in terms of all-round game. Sure he's not in the same class as the NHL elite but what would be the price to pry one of them away from their teams? Most GM's would die in a fit of laughter if you called up asking about Suter, Doughty, Chara or any of the leagues other premier d-men.

Dobber Sports Stud

It's also interesting to note that when you look at 5 on 5 icetime throughout the season or the playoofs Phaneuf isn't really getting any more minutes than Gunnarson or Kostka.

If you look at the premier d-men in the league you'll see they play considerably more than the next closest guy:

Doughty is almost 3 min
    Sutter and Brodin were fairly even but after that it drops off almost 3 min
    Webber is out front by almost a minute of Josi and then it drops off well over a min
    Campbell is more than 2 min out front of Petrovic
    Chara and Seidenberg were both well out front
    Ehrhoff was over a minute ahead of Sekera and three min ahead of Myers
    Karlsson over a minuted and a half in front of Methot and two and a half in front of the next

There are a few teams that seem to really spread around the d minutes 5 on 5 but in general the top dogs get the top minutes. Phaneuf is just barely playing more than Kostka or Gunnarson and as of right now Gardiner. I'm not sure the Leafs are under any illusion that he's one of the best d-men in the league

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    You ready to give Gardiner and Rielly the crazy tough minutes that Dion has been logging? He's not worth 6+ in a new cap era, but there is no one to replace what he does right now. There is a reason he struggles at times...

After OEL and Z Michalek, he faced the toughest competition in the league last year (from a Corsi standpoint, which measures puck possession).

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67#

And he started 41 percent of his shifts in the offensive zone. Simply put I don't think anyone else on Toronto's team can do the heavy lifting as well as Dion can.

Totally agree with this...and this is why no one wants to go play in Toronto, because if you are well paid the fans will eventually wind up hating you no matter how hard you play for them. Such is the case with Phaneuf, in the new cap league he's not worth his contract, but that's hardly his fault. And the knocks against him are fair, the erratic shot, the lack of positional awareness at times in his own zone and poor decision making going for the 'big hit' (as we saw in the OT game). But the bottom line is that he logs massive minutes (he's top 10 every year), he plays in all situations and he logs a lot of tough minutes, blocks shots, hits everybody, and he's big and physical, guys like that are rare in the NHL that's why everyone wants this kind of blue-liner. If he moves on he'll leave a big hole behind that they won't be able to fill easily or on the cheap.
    Last edited by mister_mcgoo; May 11, 2013 at 3:44 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Angus, when did you get blue and white disease? I've seen all the Phaneuf propaganda out there, no worries. "Poor guy had to play with AHL d-men, his QOC is ridiculous, his zone starts are crazy tough..." yadda yadda yadda

If no one on the Leafs team is better suited to handle those duties, it's up to Nonis to fix that situation. Otherwise, their progress as a team will hit a wall.
    Just because Dion might be the best on their average D, that doesn't mean you keep miscasting him as a top dog, and overpaying him. No, you find a way to acquire a true #1, or figure out something else. In the meantime, the rest of the D could be distributed his tough minutes evenly. Players have a way of stepping up their games, and emerging when their crutch is suddenly removed.

p.s. by the way, good job on the ctv segment !
    Thanks man, my TV debut... haha.

And it isn't propaganda. It's fact. The Leafs don't utilize Dion properlybecause they can't. Ideally he is a 2 or 3 who sees a crapload of PP time and not the toughest defensive minutes.

You acquire a #1 sure... not that easy though. And do you want Liles, Gardiner, Franson, Fraser et all playing tough minutes? They'd get eaten alive. It's really a no-win situation for Dion right now.

Banned

Big surprise... here comes mcgoo contradicting himself again. In this thread he says Leafs fans hate their players if they make too much money. But in other threads, he goes on about how Leafs fans overrate their own players. hmmm. So we overrate our players but hate them at the same time. Interesting.

gee I'm sorry ****-wad I forgot I wasn't allowed to comment on any of your precious Leafs threads because I'm not completely delusional. Fans like you definitely overrate their players just like you do everything else about the franchise. But it's hardly contradictory to say that you guys also tend to turn on your players eventually...it happened with Kessel, it happened with Phaneuf, hell it even happened with Sundin to some degree. It's cognitive dissonance in action.

Banned

Well that sure didn't take long. Usually it takes a couple back and forths before you fall back to your boring, predictable and immature name-calling.

Seriously dude, it bothers nobody when you do that and it just makes us all laugh at you. Again. And again.

In other words, keep it up!
    yeah it took about as long as it did for you to turn what was otherwise a good discussion into a shit show of homerism. You think anyone respects a damn thing you say in light of that? dream on

PS: **** off