Thread: All or nothing in limited keepers

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default All or nothing in limited keepers

Who can say how something will end up in 1 year or 2 or 3 or 5. What if crosby, malkin, and neal are arguably three great players are injured during H2H fantasy playoffs.

so in a limited keeper why not amass the best overall keepers say keep 8/19 trade away all your draft picks during the year. Get the best 8 keepers for the next 1-2 year.

Then the next year trade your picks for players who are fringe keepers/ quality producers and just go balls to the wall and win?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin1390 View Post
    Who can say how something will end up in 1 year or 2 or 3 or 5. What if crosby, malkin, and neal are arguably three great players are injured during H2H fantasy playoffs.

so in a limited keeper why not amass the best overall keepers say keep 8/19 trade away all your draft picks during the year. Get the best 8 keepers for the next 1-2 year.

Then the next year trade your picks for players who are fringe keepers/ quality producers and just go balls to the wall and win?
    If everything goes your way, this is a sure fire way to win. In fantasy hockey things rarely go as planned and you need alot of luck on your side, but give it a try.

I have finished in 8th place with garbage teams going into the playoffs and won, also came in first with unbeatable teams and lost. Nothing is for sure.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Edmonton Roadrunners

C(3): Tavares, Couture, Girgensons
    LW(3): Helm, Ott, Soderberg
    RW(3): Ryan, Gallagher, Simmonds
    F(3): Hemsky, Paquette, Markus Granlund
    D(6): OEL, Gudas, Johnson, Savard, Quincey, Wideman
    G(1): Halak, Smith, Lindback
    Bench: Stoll, Stajan, Mckenzie, Pulkkinen

Prospects(10): Straka, Chartier, Crouse, EK Eriksson, Tuch, Koekkoek, Max Reinhart, Zboril, Bibeau, Jarry

RIP- Phil Philthy Animal Taylor- September 21, 1954-November 11, 2015.

Dobber Sports Ace

I think no matter what you always want to have the best keepers you can in a limited keeper, and I totally advocate trading away picks to go for it if you think you've got a good shot.

Lemmy is right though, even though you can increase your chances by improving your keepers or trading picks for playoff depth, H2H is always a bit of a crapshoot.

Dobber Sports Expert

You can never plan winning a league, especially not in fantasy hockey. I traded my first round pick for Brodeur at our deadline, i had a really good team and with Miller, Fleury and Brodeur and 5 of 12 cats were for goalies, i felt like i would win the league.

Unfortunately Brodeur decided to have his worst week of the season in my play-off week No.1 and so i didnīt even survive the first round.

Btw the week after that Brodeur hat 2 wins and 1 shotout, didnīt help me anymore, my pick is lost and i now have nothing as i can only keep 2 goalies anyway.

You allways need to have a good balance, i think really going all in could bring you a win or two in the next two years, but without some solid reliable cornerstones to build your team around, it will take you years to make your team competetive again.

The real challenge in fanatsy hockey is to have a team that can win every year. At least you should try.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin1390 View Post

The "every other year strategy".

It's a good one. I've used it before in leagues. If I have a shot, I'll trade away every single "next year draft pick" I have for a boss line-up.

I did this in a baseball pool in 2000, traded my 1st-8th picks in the following year. I won the pool. Then the stupid commish (who made the rules AND finished 2nd) said that it was a poor way to win it. I told him that he shouldn't allow draft pick trading if he didn't want to lose like that. He still said that he deserved to win. So I quit his league, rendering a team crippled to compete in the upcoming year. He realized his mistake & apologized. I refunded him $100 of my winning to pay for the new team's next year entry fee.

The bigger problem, IMO, is that some teams will see the benefit in trading away all of their future draft picks if they know they are going for it... which can lead to quitting after winning. The solution to this - as I've always felt - is that if a team wants to trade away future year draft picks, they must PAY for the future season. That ensures they don't quit prior to that season.

But yes... a fine strategy, one that I call the "every other year" strategy.