Thread: Which list of Keepers?

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Which list of Keepers?

In my league, we protect keepers in the slot they finish on our teams. Thus, if you protect you highest point player, that player occcupies your first slot at the draft, and you don't draft in the first round. I have several options, but the two I am considering are:

1 st slot - P. Kane
    2nd slot - E. Staal
    3rd slot - T. Rask
    4th slot - O. Pavelec
    12th slot - RNH
    20th slot - Spezza

In this scenario, my eraliest draft pick is in the 5th round, I have no D protected, and guys like Plekanec or a couple of 50 point D likely to be available.

1 st slot - P. Kane
    3rd slot - T. Rask
    8th slot - B Richards
    10th slot - Suter
    11th slot - Goligoski
    12th slot - RNH
    20th slot - Spezza
    21st slot - Weiss

In this scenario, I drop E Staal and replace him with B Richards (a downgrade, to be sure), Suter, Goligoski and Weiss (in my final draft slot, Weiss is a very good pick). My eariest draft pick is in the 2nd round, and I would likely be able to get Pavelec back (or similar). I would have a 4th slot to draft in, and could a player like Vanek, Parenteau, Semin... Also, I have 2 D protected, and guys like Plekanec or a couple of 50 point D likely to be available in my 5th slot, same as i the scenario above.

I am leaning toward the 2nd option, but dropping a guy like E Staal really hurts!

Thoughts?
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Administrator

If it's just a choice between these two groups then I prefer the second but I'm curious what your points limit is for this shortened season because I'd like the chance to build my own keeper list for you.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    If it's just a choice between these two groups then I prefer the second but I'm curious what your points limit is for this shortened season because I'd like the chance to build my own keeper list for you.
    220-235 points. I am pretty set in what choices I am comfortabe with, though
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Keeping P.Kane & E.Staal are all about WHERE you pick in those rounds.
    If it's a 12-team league and you pick 10/11/12, I'd probably keep P.Kane.
    But if you pick 1-9, I'd probably drop him.

Same goes for E.Staal.
    If you have an early 2nd round pick, I'd probably drop him.
    If you have a late 2nd round pick, keep him.

Just out of curiousity, why don't you walk through the first two rounds and give us a likely draft based on what people will keep.

Dobber Sports Initiate

That's a really neat keeper system. I've never seen that before.

If you drop Goligoski and Richards you'll have enough points to keep Staal, right? It's tough to drop the 6th best point-getter this year, especially since it will only get you a 2nd rounder. I realize that a 2nd rounder will net you a quality player, I just can't think of anyone that's likely to be available in the 2nd round that I'd want more than Staal. So I guess I'd do Option 2, but with that substitution. I'm fairly sure there's something I'm missing though, because from Option 1 to Option 2 you only lose Staal but you gain 4 players...

If you aren't able to change the options you've got then I'd go with Option 2. Having those guys in the late rounds will be a big help.
    16 team, full keeper
    19 roster players, 15 prospects, 2 farm
    Stats: G, A, PPG, SHG, special teams assists, SOG, FOW, PIM, hits, BS, Tk, +/-, W, SO, saves, s%, GAA, SO saves

C: Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, H. Sedin, J. Staal, Hodgson
    W: Perreault, Atkinson, Dorsett, Jagr, Burrows, Zuccarello, Hagelin, Condra
    D: Karlsson, Keith, OEL, Hamonic, Gudas, Hejda
    G: Price, Rinne

Prospects: Lindholm, Cassels, Perlini, Vesey, Sheahan, Teravainen, Jensen, Ceci, Koekkoek, Emelin, Kulikov, Rundblad, Grubauer, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Expert

Rep added to all.

Thanks guys!
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by bizzl View Post
    I'm fairly sure there's something I'm missing though, because from Option 1 to Option 2 you only lose Staal but you gain 4 players...
    We protect 220-235 points this shortned season.

I drop Staal and Pavelec, replacing them with Richards, Suter, Goli and Weiss to fit within the point cap.

I will likely recover Pavelec with my 2nd overall pick, so it's really Staal and a 5th round pick vs. Richards, Suter Goli and a 4th round pick
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers: