Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Scores for Yahoo! Top 100 Skaters (2012-2013)

Banned

cool stuff...any interest in getting together and working through some of these statistical models this offseason? I've been wanting to write a little web application like this for awhile but couldn't motivate myself to get it done.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    cool stuff...any interest in getting together and working through some of these statistical models this offseason? I've been wanting to write a little web application like this for awhile but couldn't motivate myself to get it done.
    McGoo - I've used your scheduling software so much that I'll send you whatever excel stuff I work on. You can use it on your website however you like. I'm a big fan of the value I've gotten from using your site.

I have been looking for somebody to help me figure out the goalie scoring.
    Working with the GAA & SV% "category scores" is an absolute bitch that I must admit... I'm nowhere close to feeling confident about.

For that matter, I don't think Yahoo has those "category scores" pegged accurately either. If I recall, they had Brian Elliott ranked as #8 overall and #3 goalie based on his season last year. Since limited goalie stats can not translate fully to success in most leagues, I think they have that part of their algorithm wrong.

Off-season projects are good.
    Send me some PMs in the summer!

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    One more example of understanding "scoring" and "category score".

Say a league has 5 categories.
    G, A, PIM, W, SV%.

You, a buddy, and another buddy get 25.0 "coins" to buy player stats.
    You can buy a score in a category of 0-10, each point in a category costs one "coin".

Buddy A invests: 5.0 (G), 5.0 (A), 5.0 (PIM), 5.0 (W), 5.0 (SV%)
    Buddy B invests: 9.0 (G), 8.0 (A), 8.0 (PIM), 0.0 (W), 0.0 (SV%)
    Buddy C invests: 0.0 (G), 9.0 (A), 9.0 (PIM), 6.0 (W), 1.0 (SV%)

Who has the best team in H2H?
    Who has the best team in Roto?

If you can figure these things out... then having a "scoring" spreadsheet with "category scores" is the THING FOR YOU!!!
    Buddy A wins in Roto
    Buddy C wins in H2H
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Banned

McGoo - I've used your scheduling software so much that I'll send you whatever excel stuff I work on. You can use it on your website however you like. I'm a big fan of the value I've gotten from using your site.

I have been looking for somebody to help me figure out the goalie scoring.
    Working with the GAA & SV% "category scores" is an absolute bitch that I must admit... I'm nowhere close to feeling confident about.

For that matter, I don't think Yahoo has those "category scores" pegged accurately either. If I recall, they had Brian Elliott ranked as #8 overall and #3 goalie based on his season last year. Since limited goalie stats can not translate fully to success in most leagues, I think they have that part of their algorithm wrong.

Off-season projects are good.
    Send me some PMs in the summer!
    OK sweet that sounds good, don't let me forget. I'm going to rewrite a buncha stuff with that scheduling tool and draft lotto anyway this offseason because the code is old and a pain to maintain so it's a good opportunity to jump into it

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by DerekReese View Post
    Buddy A wins in Roto
    Buddy C wins in H2H
    No... Buddy A does not win in Roto.
    Buddy C wins in both.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

LOL.
    Because every league size changes.

A rostered player is always better than 0 stats (unless he's -1 with no stats).
    That's the correct comparison.

Mathematicians & scientists should work with absolute zero.
    Kelvins, my friend... I'm rockin' the Kelvins.
    No. Just not at all my point. ok every league is different but u can adjust it for your league. The whole point is to "normalize" the stats to a possible replacement.
    not sure if normalize is the right term, not in stats.

for instance:
    if u are in a H2H league with some fws/ hits/bs/sogs. So why add a player who might get a goal or something on a bad team and get the random hit or blocked shot every now and again but highly likely on the night u pick him up for and tank your plus minus if he gets light up vs Pitsburgh or another high scoring team. VS a 4th line player that hits shoot and takes face offs but on a good defensive team like boston.

You can even use this to compare to an allstar, ie hsedin has 22 hits this year, not even a hit every other game. I am highly certain that most waiver players in league have more then that so why not compare him to the worst possible person you can own at the time?
    I see these stats helping for starting a player when the shit is on the line in head to head
    The devil you know is better than the devil you don't know.

i may get a goal from grabbing a carter style, but i will get hits and pims from a neil type. Both possibly getting other stats because they are not scrublets

Obviously if it is a sunday and u need a goal to win go for the gold.
    But if it is for a back to back during the week to maximize your roster why not take the sure points in four cats over all the maybes, goals/shp/ppp seem to be rarer among the scrublets.
    And draft for those rarer stats you have mentioned, goals ppp, shp, etc

Tldr drunkramblings.
    Last edited by Jammin1390; May 5, 2013 at 3:24 AM.