Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1st overall for Markstrom

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default 1st overall for Markstrom

Negotiations are still fairly preliminary, but this is what it seems to be boiling down to. I love the possibility of adding Drouin or MacKinnon to my roster, but realistically I know that I need more help in goal. So I need to decide if Markstrom is really worth it. If he pans out I could have a really solid tandem for years to come without having given up a roster player, which would really help with my competitiveness for next year. Additionally, goalies are pretty tough to come by in my league unless you're giving one up as well.

I should also note that I have the 7th overall as well, and would surely net a really solid prospect with that pick (I'm thinking Monahan, Lindholm, etc) so it's not like I'd leave the draft table with nothing.

Thoughts are much appreciated and, as always, rep for anything that helps!
    16 team, full keeper
    19 roster players, 15 prospects, 2 farm
    Stats: G, A, PPG, SHG, special teams assists, SOG, FOW, PIM, hits, BS, Tk, +/-, W, SO, saves, s%, GAA, SO saves

C: Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, H. Sedin, J. Staal, Hodgson
    W: Perreault, Atkinson, Dorsett, Jagr, Burrows, Zuccarello, Hagelin, Condra
    D: Karlsson, Keith, OEL, Hamonic, Gudas, Hejda
    G: Price, Rinne

Prospects: Lindholm, Cassels, Perlini, Vesey, Sheahan, Teravainen, Jensen, Ceci, Koekkoek, Emelin, Kulikov, Rundblad, Grubauer, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Stud

Yep, with 6/16 categories being goalie cats, it does look like you'll need better stability in goal than offered by kipper, I say go for Markstrom.

With Karlsson and Crosby on your team ( with injuries and all - you poor thing...) you should be willing to compromise some offense for a goalie, provided they stay healthy.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Master

Considering the relative value of goalies in your league, do you think that Markstrom would be drafted 1st overall if he was available? If the answer is easily yes, then it makes your decision easier.

If the answer is no or maybe, the way forward is muddied. In my experience, the value of a 1st overall pick increases once it is actually used to pick a player. What I'm saying is it is much easier to trade away a 1st overall pick than it would be to trade away MacKinnon. The hype machine can kick in and get you more than the pick alone would have got you. My advise would be to use the pick, then try to upgrade your goalies using it as a bargaining chip.

Dobber Sports Guru

You already have Quick, so I wouldn't be that worried about getting a goalie. I also don't think Markstrom is worth first overall. I would rather get one of MacKinnon or Drouin, or trade the pick for a better goalie.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Initiate

You definitely need goalie help for next season. Not sure that Markstrom is the best option for next year. Barring trade he will receive the bulk of the starts but he is inconsistent and playing behind a young and bad team right now.

I'd prefer Lehner, who is in line for a 1B type backup role next year as he transitions to starter on OTT.

Other possibilities that may be had cheap are Enroth or Hackett in BUFF. Miller looks all but gone (though Lou's situation should be a bit of a caution there) so one of them has to take the mantle.

Johnson might have a shot at the backup role in PHX based on his play this year too.

Given what you've said about the unavailalbility of goalies in your league I would do the deal but I would explore Lehner and Hackett deals as well.
    Evgeni from the Bloc
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 10
    Daily Starts: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G

G,A,+/-,PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Tavares, Malkin, Johansen, Couture
    LW: Schenn (C), Kreider, Skinner, Kane
    RW: [B]Kucherov, Seguin (C), Wheeler, REinhart (C), Ehlers (LW)
    D: Byfuglien, Provorov, Giordano, de Haan, Phaneuf
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Saros

2017 Picks: 1,2,3,5,6,6,7,8,9,10,11

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    You already have Quick, so I wouldn't be that worried about getting a goalie. I also don't think Markstrom is worth first overall. I would rather get one of MacKinnon or Drouin, or trade the pick for a better goalie.
    Exactly what you said. Markstrom although highly rated plays for a team that could go either way next season. I would use the pick to get a much better goalie on a much better team or acquire a good goalie that will cost you far less. Example: I my league, Nabakov was the top point getter among goalies. I suspect you could acquire a goalie of his caliber much cheaper
    Points only, 26 team keeper league. keep 8 + 4 prospects. 2 LW,2 RW, 2C, 4 D and G. 1 point goal,1 point assist
    Goalies. 2 points win, 1 for O/T or Shoot out loss, 3 for SO, 2 for assist, 10 for goal. Minus 1 for a loss
    Draft 8 more through draft. Need to have 11 on main team, 9 on reserve. Once roster set, can add 1 injured reserve spot.

Roster:
    LW JVR, Steen, Hagelin
    C Malkin, E. Staal, Nelson
    RW Okposo, Wheeler, Donskoi
    D Demers, Pulock, Savard, Vlasic
    G Holtby

prospects: Frost, Sprong, Andersson, Bear, Niku, Katchouk

Dobber Sports Initiate

Man, seems like opinions are pretty split here. If Markstrom were available in the draft I'd be super tempted to take him 1st overall, just because I know he wouldn't last until 7th. Emery went 2nd overall in 2009 behind Tavares and before Duchene, so what I'm looking at isn't entirely unprecedented. Looking back at that draft it would have been a huge mistake to take Emery over Tavares, but I don't really know what Drouin or MacKinnon are capable of turning into. A Tavares type would definitely garner a top-end starting goalie in my league, but Tavares is a top-5 to top-7 player.

I'm going to explore options for guys like Rinne and see what happens. With any luck I'll be able to get a better goalie for the same price, as a few of you have suggested.
    16 team, full keeper
    Stats: G, A, PPG, SHG, special teams assists, SOG, FOW, PIM, hits, BS, Tk, +/-, W, SO, saves, s%, GAA, SO saves

Prospects: Lindholm, Cassels, Perlini, Vesey, Sheahan, Teravainen, Jensen, Ceci, Koekkoek, Emelin, Kulikov, Rundblad, Grubauer, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Veteran

I do not dislike Markstrom but are you sure that you cannot do better here?
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Demi-God

How many do you start at each position?

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I agree with this. I know MacKinnon is a prospect but I still see him as less risk than Markstrom. What can you really expect from Florida in the next few years. Probably not a lot. Goalies are a volatile commodity. I would build the strongest set of forwards I can then use some of that forward depth to acquire a sure thing. Markstrom could be great someday, but I would try to target someone like Bernier or Luongo who's value is at an all time low and should end up as a starter on a team by next year. You can never have enough elite forwards.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    How many do you start at each position?
    Starting roster is 14 players, 5 bench spots, with 2-4 C, 4-8 W, 3-7 D, and 1-2 G.
    16 team, full keeper

Dobber Sports Veteran

If you have two first rounders, do you have more picks in this draft than available roster spaces? If so, trading a pick for a player might just result in you "burning" another pick -- albeit a later one -- on a player who you won't be able to roster in any event, so in essence you'll have lost two picks to acquire Markstrom (unless, of course, you can successfully move another pick as well). But with that in mind, it might actually open up some other avenues to think about:

What about trading a highly touted forward prospect on your roster for Markstrom (something like Granlund for Markstrom)? You can then draft MacKinnon with your first overall pick to replace Granlund while also having added a young blue chip prospect goalie (of course, this all depends on how you value Granlund vs. MacKinnon -- but just an example of something that might work for both sides).

Or, if your trade partner has a glut of goalies and no real use for Markstrom (i.e., he's posturing now, but might ultimately be willing to get value for Markstrom without it being the 1st overall), what about a possible deal whereby you trade the second of your two first rounders + another mid'ish pick, or your second first rounder + another of your prospects at a position of need for him, to acquire Markstrom?

Or, if you don't have extra picks, you could build out the trade such that you move back a bit in the draft while maintaining the first overall, he upgrades his picks, and you get Markstrom in the process.

Not sure how your league really works, what the GMs are like, what your trade partner's team looks like, or the types of deals that have a prayer of working based on past trading patterns in the league. But just some skeletal ideas to consider that might lead to other workable win-win scenarios.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    If you have two first rounders, do you have more picks in this draft than available roster spaces? If so, trading a pick for a player might just result in you "burning" another pick -- albeit a later one -- on a player who you won't be able to roster in any event, so in essence you'll have lost two picks to acquire Markstrom (unless, of course, you can successfully move another pick as well). But with that in mind, it might actually open up some other avenues to think about:

What about trading a highly touted forward prospect on your roster for Markstrom (something like Granlund for Markstrom)? You can then draft MacKinnon with your first overall pick to replace Granlund while also having added a young blue chip prospect goalie (of course, this all depends on how you value Granlund vs. MacKinnon -- but just an example of something that might work for both sides).

Or, if your trade partner has a glut of goalies and no real use for Markstrom (i.e., he's posturing now, but might ultimately be willing to get value for Markstrom without it being the 1st overall), what about a possible deal whereby you trade the second of your two first rounders + another mid'ish pick, or your second first rounder + another of your prospects at a position of need for him, to acquire Markstrom?

Or, if you don't have extra picks, you could build out the trade such that you move back a bit in the draft while maintaining the first overall, he upgrades his picks, and you get Markstrom in the process.

Not sure how your league really works, what the GMs are like, what your trade partner's team looks like, or the types of deals that have a prayer of working based on past trading patterns in the league. But just some skeletal ideas to consider that might lead to other workable win-win scenarios.
    Whoever I take with my 1st rounders wouldn't get put on my roster next year, so I wouldn't have to worry about that. My prospect roster is full though, so I'd have to drop a few prospects to accommodate the new guys. I don't mind dropping guys like Galiev and Desjardins for MacKinnon/Drouin and Monahan though.

I'm looking at the prospect and the other 1st round pick. We'll see where it goes. I acquired Granlund from this GM earlier in the season for Kunitz, and he was very vocal about not wanting to part with him. I wanted Nugent-Hopkins or Huberdeau, so we settled on Granlund. That's another avenue worth exploring.

Before I asked him about your prospect/second 1st rounder idea he asked if I would do the 1st overall and my 2014 1st as well. Obviously that was a big no, but I'm wondering if he's getting other solid offers and is trying to leverage things. This GM loves to make big trades and is always playing people off each other. It's something I wish I was better at.
    Last edited by bizzl; May 2, 2013 at 1:02 PM.
    16 team, full keeper

Dobber Sports Initiate

I lost the Markstrom sweepstakes. He has been moved, but I don't yet know to whom or for what, but I'll add that info here when I know. I'm anxious to see what the return was. Thanks for all the advice I received.
    16 team, full keeper

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thx bizzl -- looking forward to hearing what the final transaction price was. Markstrom's perceived value to other GMs in my league has been a bit tough to get a read on as of yet.

Sorry you weren't the one to snag him though.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov