View Poll Results: Along with Jon Quick, who would your 2nd keeper goalie be?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jon Bernier

14 50.00%
  • Marty Brodeur

0 0%
  • Ilya Bryzgalov

0 0%
  • Semyon Varlamov

14 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Keep 2 Goalies: Quick, Bernier, Bryzgalov, Brodeur, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default POLL: Keep 1 of the 2 Goalies: J.Bernier or S.Varlamov *(Only voting is welcome)*

Stats:
    Games Started, Wins, GAA, SV, SV%

Pick 1 keeper goalie... My other goalie is Jon Quick

Jon Bernier (LAK)
    or
    Semyon Varlamov (COL)

- Not sure what's going to happen to Bernier in the off-season, or he'd be the easy choice.....

- Not sure what people think of Colorado, and Varlamov..... Thoughts?

- I have no 1st round pick, so I can't pick up a decent goalie in the first round... (12-team draft, plus I finished 2nd so I won't pick till the end of round 2)

- Usually the 1st Round is for top rookies, and then goalies, and 1-2 good skaters that weren't able to be kept by top teams.

- Do I take a gamble on Bernier? Worst case, I have both LAK goalies I guess... High risk, High reward (if traded)

- Varlamov is decent, but how will Colorado be next year in front of him?
    Also, doesn't COL have some decent young prospects in the system?

Thanks for any help... Be it votes, or input!
    Last edited by Hank n Dank; May 1, 2013 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Cut down the options from 4 to 2 goalies due to input so far!

Dobber Sports Initiate

I would take a gamble on Bernier, he'll be a starter elsewhere and even if he isn't you've got a good tandem.

Think of it this way, a lot of us (myself included) traded for Luongo thinking he'll soon be #1 on another team. That didn't turn out so well but I'll bet that at least 70% still have him and will keep him.

Goalies are hard to come by as it is, keep Bernier over all the others.

Cheers
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'm with the guy above on one thing for sure, a gamble. But I would feel a little less pressure taking that gamble on Varlamov seeing as the Av's just landed the number one overall selection in the upcoming draft and that should be only used on Seth Jones who will I honestly believe make an immediate impact on an already star studded team (granted, only offensively). With the likes of Duchene, Landeskog, O'Reilly, and Parenteau, throw in Seth Jones and all of a sudden the W column will start to fill for this team. A great two way d-man who will generously improve their blue line in all facets of the game. The guy will lay a body on the PK and even strength and be there to QB the first PP unit no doubt. The guy is 6'4" and weighs in at an NHL ready 206lbs, he will log big minutes and actually turn the Av's fortunes around no doubt. I have never liked the Av's but I think this kid has what it takes to turn the team around, including the fate of Varlamov who is not lacking in the talent dept. either.
    10 team Cumulative Points Only - Keep 4
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PPP (1), PIM (0.25/min), S (0.4), H (0.2), Bs (0.2), FoW (0.1), W (4), Sv (0.2), SO (4), GA (-1)
    update inc.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Chill View Post
    ... including the fate of Varlamov who is not lacking in the talent dept. either.
    I agree he has talent but his fate lies with his health unfortunately
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I would keep Quick and Bernier as well.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Damn...

Lots of love for Varlamov here... 5 votes of love versus 4 for Bernier!

I guess I get that with Varly I'll get 2 for sure starting goalies, and with GS as a stat, that becomes pretty important.

Is he the real deal though? And doesn't COL have some good young prospects waiting in the wings to challenge him?
    Pickard?

Dobber Sports Icon

Varlamov will not be unseated as the #1 in Colorado next season or anytime soon. He is their guy for the foreseeable future. That is the reason I choose him over Bernier here.

Bernier is a great young goalie and I'd be willing to gamble on him if he had a starting job even though he has not shown he could handle the workload of a #1 yet. That being said, you throw in the gamble of him possibly being just a backup again next year and I think that tilts it in Varly's favor.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Varlamov.
    Colorado's defense can not (possibly?!) be as bad as they were this year.

Also - new coach should infuse new blood.
    Players can play differently with a new coach and Varly will feel re-invented.
    His past year can be wiped out.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Varlamov.
    Colorado's defense can not (possibly?!) be as bad as they were this year.

Also - new coach should infuse new blood.
    Players can play differently with a new coach and Varly will feel re-invented.
    His past year can be wiped out.

That's true.... E.Johnson was out a long time. Even though he's been a "bust" based on his 1st Overall draft status, he's still solid.

Plus as someone mentioned, Seth Jones will be a top-4 guy to help out too.
    Barrie with a year of experience....

I see the point that's being made.

I guess another hope for that franchise is to get rid of Stastny either via trade or buy out and use that $6 for either another good D or depth up front.
    Duchene and O'Reilly can easily hold down the top-2 center positions, Stastny isn't really needed... Not for $6m per year anyways!

Dobber Sports Star

I don't gamble so I would keep Varlamov. He'll have decent stats and will get enough starts.
    Weekly H2H points only (Year 9 - 2015-16)
    12 teams limited keeper (keep 6 + 1 Rookie)
    13 round draft - Unlimited Trades - No Waivers - No IR
    4 Team Playoffs (last 2 reg. season weeks)
    Rookies are 23 years old or younger in the draft year and never reached 60pts (forward), 40pts (defense), 25 wins (goalie)

Start : C RW LW Utility D D G

C - S.Stamkos, J.Thornton, K.Turris, D.Stepan
    LW - O.Palat, B.Saad, A.Burakovsky
    RW - B.Wheeler, T.Toffoli, C.Atkinson
    D - E.Karlsson, S.Gostisbehere, C.Fowler, A.Ekblad, A.Larsson
    G - C.Hellebuyck, D.Dubnyk, A.Niemi, K.Lehtonen

Dobber Sports Veteran

Gimmie Varly! Avs defense will improve with the addition of Jones and a new coach/system. Don't even think twice.
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Dobber Sports Ninja

I would keep Bernier. Best case he gets traded to a team where he's #1, worst case you've got the handcuffs on the LA goaltending. Not a bad risk/reward trade-off if you ask me.

Avs defense was among the worst in the league this year, and while I don't expect them to be THAT bad again, I think like the Oilers, Panthers, Thrashers and Lightning... it'll still be bad. Jones will make little to no difference in his rookie year.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Based on the OP's categories... I don't see how Bernier (LA) can be the answer.

Look at the five categories:
    GS, W, SV, SV%, GAA

The first three are "quantity" statistics.
    As bad as Varlamov was... he's still the #1 in Colorado.
    He'll get lots of GS. (which is essentially ANOTHER saves category)
    He'll get lots of SV.
    These things are locks, dependable.

I finished top half in all 6 of my multi-cat leagues this year.
    I finished top 3 in both of my ROTO pools this year.

If you want to do well in multi-cat, you HAVE to lock-up "high quantity" categories.
    For goalies, if you have a chance to win GP & SV... you've got to roster two #1.
    In Rocky Horror Roto Show, I did incredibly well by drafting skaters with my first 5 rounds of picks and drafting goalies (Anderson, Pavelec, Nabokov) in rounds 6, 7, 8.
    Q: Why did this work?
    A: Because the league counts SV. My three crappy #1s racked up more GP, more W, and more SV then most other team's TWO #1 combos.
    HERE, Quick/Bernier(LA) = 82 games... MAX.

If this league had three categories and two were GAA/SV%, yes - I'd say Bernier.
    NOT with these categories.

Quick + Bernier (in LA) = 82 goalie starts. Quick (30W in 55gp), Bernier (15W in 27gp).
    Quick + Varlamov = 115 goalie starts. Quick (30W in 55gp), Varlamov (28W in 60gp).
    ***Again... let's remember that GamesStarted (GS) is essentially another Saves category. Saves is basically weighted TWICE. That's just a goalie playing. Playing time is key in this league for goalies.

With a tandem... the BEST you can hope for is a dynamite GAA/SV% and a good win ratio. You will NOT win SV, you will NOT win GS. So... at best, you are looking 3-2 in categories. AT BEST.

With two #1s... at WORST you may get thumped in GAA/SV% and not get any wins (and with Quick, you have to consider half the result of that mentioned above... so if we are talking about a lock WIN in GAA/SV% above, then we are talking about a lock TIE in this scenario). So here, with two #1s, you a lock to be competitive (TIE, 0.5cats) in GAA/SV% and you are a lock to win/tie (0.75) in GS, W, SV.

0.5+0.5+0.75+0.75+0.75 = 3.25 cats. WORST CASE.

The ONLY way Bernier is the right choice is IF he becomes a #1 goalie.
    So, that's the only thing you need to debate.

But with GS & SV as two categories... Varlamov >> Bernier (LA).
    With these categories AND assuming Bernier stays in LA... this is not really a debatable issue.

(Obviously, if the OP can wait... he sets his keepers after he knows what happens with Bernier. Could be another Luongo/Schneider situation where the team holds both.)
    Last edited by Pengwin7; May 3, 2013 at 9:55 AM.

Dobber Sports Ninja

You're right... did not even notice the Games Started category (which makes no sense in my opinion).

Banned

hmmm, when do you have to decide? Bryz is arguably the best goalie after Quick but only if he gets bought out and can sign somewhere else. I think his days in Philly are numbered and if he winds up on a decent team he'll bounce back big. I definitely like him better than Varlamov (mediocre goalie, gets hurts a lot)