Thread: We Are the Champions - my friends...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default We Are the Champions - my friends...

I wish I had a riveting story about how our championship came down to the wire during last night's nail-biter, but unfortunately (or rather fortunately) this was a year of domination for the Motherpuckers. We led from the start and pulled way ahead in the final month, finishing the year reeling off 5 straight H2H wins.

It was one of those years where I was lucky enough to draft all the right players, stay relatively injury-free (aside from Neal) and make all the right moves (except for dropping Mike ****ing Green).

The Good:
    -Drafted MSL and Kaner in rounds 3 and 4
    -Drafted Voracek in round 12
    -Drafted Green in round 7
    -Picked up Voynov before he caught fire
    -Dropped Rinne for Elliott who pretty much carried my team in the playoffs

The Bad:
    -Dropped Voracek prematurely (luckily I was able to snag him back from the wire)

The Ugly:
    -Dropped Green and felt great about it... until he caught fire and finished the season with the lead in d-goals... needless to say I hate him

Just wanted to share my success with you guys as this community has been an integral part of my fantasy hockey experience over the past several years. Judging by all the other threads, I'm astounded and glad to see there are so many champions on this forum. Thank you to all those who gave input in my "who to start" threads, and to all those who make this a great community. I really enjoy shooting the shit with you guys, and if I could, I would buy you all around with my 6 grand in winnings

Best of luck with all your playoff pools fellas, and all you Boston fans can suck it!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Congrats Blayze!
    You deserved that championship... outstanding draft, as I recall.

Well done - where's the party?

Dobber Sports Deity

Congrats bud!

$500 buy in! Yikes. My wife would kick me in the junk if I joined a pool like that. A 6G payout for winning is one hell of a pay day!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Giant

6 grand in winnings!!??? That's my kind of pool

My question is: How can St. Louis and Kane go in rounds 3 and 4 (12 teams so that’s like picks 30 and 40ish respectively) if you are playing with guys that dish out $500 buy-ins? Is this the type of pool that wealthy business men join to heighten their social status (kinda like joining a golf club when you have trouble connecting with the ball off the tee)?

All jokes aside, congrats on the win!!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    My question is: How can St. Louis and Kane go in rounds 3 and 4 (12 teams so that’s like picks 30 and 40ish respectively) if you are playing with guys that dish out $500 buy-ins? Is this the type of pool that wealthy business men join to heighten their social status (kinda like joining a golf club when you have trouble connecting with the ball off the tee)?
    Yeah... it's a circle of finance professionals from different firms who work on Bay st (our pitiful canadian version of Wall st).

MSL and Kaner in those rounds may sound ridiculous today in hindsight, but you have to remember that at the beginning of the season MSL (who's always criminally underrated to begin with) and Kane were coming off disappointing 70 and 60 point campaigns, so they flew under the radar.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Yeah... it's a circle of finance professionals from different firms who work on Bay st (our pitiful canadian version of Wall st).

MSL and Kaner in those rounds may sound ridiculous today in hindsight, but you have to remember that at the beginning of the season MSL (who's always criminally underrated to begin with) and Kane were coming off disappointing 70 and 60 point campaigns, so they flew under the radar.
    Very true, but any hockey ''connaisseur'' would have not waited until those rounds to get a player of that caliber and potential. Then again, I play with guys that know alot about hockey pools and Lupul, Gaborik and Semin were taken in the second round of a 14 team pool.

Just for kicks, do you have the draft results?
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Ninja

Don't have the results readily handy. Considering it's a 12-team pool, Kaner in the 4th round is not really that much of a stretch considering he finished 35th in overall forward scoring the previous year and of course most teams who know what they're doing in our format try to lock up their starting goalie within the first 2-3 rounds. That pushes a lot of quality forwards down to the 3rd-5th rounds.

As I said, I think with hindsight it's easy to suggest what a hockey "connoisseur" would do... but much more difficult at the start of the season. The recency effect has a strong influence in people's perceptions of value and I bet next year guys like Eberle, RNH, Marleau and the Sedins will go far below where they probably should.

I would say three quarters of the guys in our pool are fairly experienced and active, and one quarter are average. It's a tight knit group - our pool has been running for 12 years now and it's practically the same guys every year.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Don't have the results readily handy. Considering it's a 12-team pool, Kaner in the 4th round is not really that much of a stretch considering he finished 35th in overall forward scoring the previous year and of course most teams who know what they're doing in our format try to lock up their starting goalie within the first 2-3 rounds. That pushes a lot of quality forwards down to the 3rd-5th rounds.

As I said, I think with hindsight it's easy to suggest what a hockey "connoisseur" would do... but much more difficult at the start of the season. The recency effect has a strong influence in people's perceptions of value and I bet next year guys like Eberle, RNH, Marleau and the Sedins will go far below where they probably should.

I would say three quarters of the guys in our pool are fairly experienced and active, and one quarter are average. It's a tight knit group - our pool has been running for 12 years now and it's practically the same guys every year.
    Ya guess you are right. Like you said, alot was riding on the potential of certain breakout stars (the young Oilers, Semin...) prior to this year’s fantasy drafts.

Please note that my comments do not take away from your performance in any way though!

By reading your numerous posts on here, I feel that your hockey expertise would have beaten pretty much anyone. The fact that these other managers are all experienced just adds to the sweetness of winning it all... that and 6 Gs

Minors:

Dobber Sports Ninja

No offense taken, I definitely agree with you to some extent otherwise I wouldn't have drafted those two