Thread: Team audit (long read, but REP!)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Team audit (long read, but REP!)

Going into this year I had pretty high hopes for my team, but once Karlsson went down I knew that it would be almost impossible to keep up with the big dogs in my league. Kipper went down for a month and then Crosby broke his jaw and I was well and truly done. At that point I did everything I could to tank the rest of the season and still meet GP minimums, so that my 1st would end up fairly high. I'm trying to decide which way to go next, and I'd love to hear what everyone has to say.

My team (all salaries are 2013-14):
    Crosby, at 9.4
    Backstrom, at 4.5
    H. Sedin, at 10.4 (franchise player, can't be traded)
    B. Boyle, at 1.3
    Voracek, at 4.5
    Burrows, at 4.7
    Ott, at 5.9
    Filppula, at 2.6
    McDonald, at 2.6
    Hudler, at 1
    Abdelkader, at 1
    P.M. Bouchard, at 1
    Stalberg, at 1.3
    Zuccarello, at 1
    Karlsson, at 1
    Letang, at 8.7
    Boyle, at 10.7 ***
    Giordano, at 4.5
    M. Stuart, at 1
    Gorges, at 1.8
    Quick, at 3.2
    Kiprusoff, at 12.8 ***
    Ellis, at 1.5

That's 23 players, and we have a roster of 19, so I'd obviously be dropping some guys. Most of the plugs were added to spot-gap the loss of guys like Crosby, Letang and other injured guys. Likely drops to get me under the roster limit include: Bouchard, McDonald, Abdelkader, Zuccarello. My prospects are in my signature.

We use the NHL cap, at 64 million. Right now I'm coming in at 96.4, but that includes several players that I will cut, as well as several that I'm hoping to sign for less than they are due... like Boyle and Kipper. They're candidates to be sent to an open auction system that would, hopefully, significantly lower their salary. It's backfired in the past, but I can't see anyone paying them more than what they are slated to make anyways.

Picks that I own are as follows: 1st overall, 7th overall, 25th and 26th overall and 45th overall.

Starting in the summer these are the deals I made. Player on the left is who I acquired:

Connolly and (what ended up as) 1st overall for Carlson and (what ended up as) 30th overall
    Burrows and Bozak for S. Mason and Franzen
    Giordano for Versteeg and Stoll
    Voracek for E. Johnson
    Ott for Bozak
    Granlund and 2nd for Kunitz
    Quick for Niemi
    Ellis for cash

Going into next year I know I need to cut some salary and get some help in goal, with Kipper probably retiring. I'm thinking of dangling guys like Backstrom, Letang and Voracek, as well as the 1st overall, to snag a solid goalie. With any luck I could kill two birds with one stone and shed some salary while I acquire a goalie.

I'd appreciate any feedback at all, be it a comment on one thing or an analysis of the entire team. Rep for any and all responses, so what say you?
    16 team, full keeper
    19 roster players, 15 prospects, 2 farm
    Stats: G, A, PPG, SHG, special teams assists, SOG, FOW, PIM, hits, BS, Tk, +/-, W, SO, saves, s%, GAA, SO saves

C: Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, H. Sedin, J. Staal, Hodgson
    W: Perreault, Atkinson, Dorsett, Jagr, Burrows, Zuccarello, Hagelin, Condra
    D: Karlsson, Keith, OEL, Hamonic, Gudas, Hejda
    G: Price, Rinne

Prospects: Lindholm, Cassels, Perlini, Vesey, Sheahan, Teravainen, Jensen, Ceci, Koekkoek, Emelin, Kulikov, Rundblad, Grubauer, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I would probably dangle the players you're thinking of dangling -- Letang and Voracious. I would try and keep Backstrom just because I don't think 4.5 is bad at all. It would be hard trading away a player like Letang which is completely understandable, however you've definitely got to fill the hole at the goalie position. With Karlsson bouncing back nicely after a miraculous recovery time having him around for a full season next year seems a lot more likely than Letang who has a reputation for battling the injury bug the last few seasons. Your return for Letang and Voracek could be pretty handsome depending on who is hurting for a winger and/or offensive d-man. I would probably chase someone who's willing to part with a goalie like Rinne, or depending on how the play-offs fair for the caps, even Holtby as his SV% and W's were quite nice this year, or Rask. And trading someone like Voracek you might be able to swing a deal with perhaps your leagues Benn owner or or someone like Neal or Vanek and try to up your goals for the year. Not really sure any of those owners are willing to deal but if you're putting someone like Letang on the table, a lot becomes possible.
    10 team Cumulative Points Only - Keep 4
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PPP (1), PIM (0.25/min), S (0.4), H (0.2), Bs (0.2), FoW (0.1), W (4), Sv (0.2), SO (4), GA (-1)
    update inc.

Dobber Sports Superstar

A few notes:
    - Backstrom looks like a huge bargain at 4.5, and I wouldn't look at moving him.
    - Boyle doesn't provide great value at 10.7 and you're right to try and move him and Kipper. Frees significant space.
    - That franchise player tag needs to be moved to Crosby somehow. What does that do? Negates salary?
    - I don't like Henrik Sedin at 10.4 and would consider moving him if you can do anything with that franchise tag.
    - I'd be hesitant to move Voracek as he may provide good value at 4.5 in the coming years, but I understand you need to do something about goaltending. The best thing to do is probably try to package Letang and a pick for a top flight goalie.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    A few notes:
    - Backstrom looks like a huge bargain at 4.5, and I wouldn't look at moving him.
    - Boyle doesn't provide great value at 10.7 and you're right to try and move him and Kipper. Frees significant space.
    - That franchise player tag needs to be moved to Crosby somehow. What does that do? Negates salary?
    - I don't like Henrik Sedin at 10.4 and would consider moving him if you can do anything with that franchise tag.
    - I'd be hesitant to move Voracek as he may provide good value at 4.5 in the coming years, but I understand you need to do something about goaltending. The best thing to do is probably try to package Letang and a pick for a top flight goalie.
    Thanks for your input! Some good points there. In response...

The only reason I'd look at moving Backstrom is specifically because he is such a bargain, same thing with Voracek. Most of the really valuable players that get moved because they are unaffordable, which affects their trade value. I haven't had any bites on Backstrom thus far, so I think owners might be a bit gun-shy knowing that I'll ask for a ton for him.

If I can get Boyle's salary down to half of that I'll be happy, but the trade market for him is really low. Before the season I acquired him for Timonen and Alfredsson, and he was only making 8.2 this year.

The franchise tag is a 5 year contract that decreases in value each year, but it means you can't trade him, and you only get one. The first year is worth 20% of the cap, and then it decreases by 20% the first year, and then 10% every following year until it expires. The benefit comes later into the contract when guys like Ovechkin are worth 4.4 million. I'm only 2 years into the contract, and if I were to buy it out (which is possible) Sedin would be available to be bid on like an FA, except that I would be able to match and retain him. Sedin's contract was already quite high when I named him franchise player, and I wanted the option of trading Crosby. At this point being able to make Crosby my franchise guy would be great, but it could mean losing Sedin.
    16 team, full keeper
    Stats: G, A, PPG, SHG, special teams assists, SOG, FOW, PIM, hits, BS, Tk, +/-, W, SO, saves, s%, GAA, SO saves

Prospects: Lindholm, Cassels, Perlini, Vesey, Sheahan, Teravainen, Jensen, Ceci, Koekkoek, Emelin, Kulikov, Rundblad, Grubauer, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Offer Voracek to the Giroux owner.
    That is your best sell-high... see what you can get in return from him.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Offer Voracek to the Giroux owner.
    That is your best sell-high... see what you can get in return from him.
    It's worth a shot, at the very least. The Giroux owner just won the league, is the commissioner, and is a huge Flyers fan, so I doubt that would fly, but I'm willing to look into it and see what happens.
    16 team, full keeper

Dobber Sports Guru

Just curious. What happens if Kipper retires? Are you stuck with his hit? Does his number come off the books? That would be a big savings right there if he leaves the NHL.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Just curious. What happens if Kipper retires? Are you stuck with his hit? Does his number come off the books? That would be a big savings right there if he leaves the NHL.
    If he retires I would just drop him and his salary would come off the books. It would be great to have that much space, and I'm counting on his salary dropping through this arbitration process if he doesn't retire.
    16 team, full keeper

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by bizzl View Post
    It's worth a shot, at the very least. The Giroux owner just won the league, is the commissioner, and is a huge Flyers fan, so I doubt that would fly, but I'm willing to look into it and see what happens.
    I think he was more implying that you offer the owner of Giroux Voracious because Giroux holds Voracek's value, not offer Voracek for Giroux. If the guy is a huge philly fan he should love the idea of owning both Giroux and Voracek who just proved his ceiling should/could be around the 75-85 point range. Your return for Voracek would be the greatest from this owner.
    10 team Cumulative Points Only - Keep 4
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PPP (1), PIM (0.25/min), S (0.4), H (0.2), Bs (0.2), FoW (0.1), W (4), Sv (0.2), SO (4), GA (-1)
    update inc.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Chill View Post
    I think he was more implying that you offer the owner of Giroux Voracious because Giroux holds Voracek's value, not offer Voracek for Giroux. If the guy is a huge philly fan he should love the idea of owning both Giroux and Voracek who just proved his ceiling should/could be around the 75-85 point range. Your return for Voracek would be the greatest from this owner.
    Thanks for pointing that out! I didn't read that properly. I'm going to investigate this option as well.
    16 team, full keeper