Thread: Boxing

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Boxing

I'm a huge boxing nut and just finished watching a bunch of old fights and it got me to thinking who is the greatest boxer of all time in there prime at any weight class. Not who had the best career per say but who when at there absolute best was the best of them all and I keep coming back to one guy in my head at least Roy Jones Jr. I'm aware most won't agree but it is my opinion so I can't be wrong lol. Interested to hear whom u guys think is. Ali, Tyson, Mayweather, Marciano??? There is a plethora of guys to choose from. So let me know.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Boxing's extinct... time to adopt MMA

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Boxing's extinct... time to adopt MMA
    I can't stand MMA. Sorry I'm old school is this regard

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Star

Blayze is right; sadly, the state that the boxing world is in is shameful right now. There was a time when I was passionate about boxing, but think that I grew up in the wrong era to really appreciate it. I missed most of Fraser, Ali and Foreman's careers, and it is hard to get a sense of how amazing these boxers are just looking at stats.

Jones Jr. Was amazing and dominant, certainly until he was TKOd by Tarver. There was a 4 or 5 year period when everyone was terrified of Tyson, and rightfully so. The way he knocked out Trevor Berbick to won the Heavyweight Championship was so dramatic, I will never forget Berbick stumbling battered senseless trying to stand up before the 10-count. To me, it might be the greatest knock out of all time; you should youtube it if you have never seen it. Again, sadly Tyson was never the same after being knocked out by Buster Douglas.

Chavez, Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, Duran, and Lennox Lewis all deserve mention if you ask me.

I can't take boxing seriously anymore, though; it is in shambles right now.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Sage

I agree that it is a down time for boxing but I find MMA to be boring most of the time. Boxing will come back. If you and blaze are still up on HBO right now there is an amazing fight on right now Martinez vs Murray.

Ya I have watched everyone of Lewis's and Tyson's fights. They are my 2nd and 3rd favorite fighters of all time. Tyson would be my second choice for most dominate in his prime of all time. He was an absolute beast before the Douglas upset. Lewis I think was one of the most under rated boxers of all time. He was a very cerebral fighter but I don't think he had the power like most of the other guys you mentioned so I don't know if I would call him dominate per say. I also really like your choices of Duran and Chavez.

Kind of interesting side note my aunt dated Lewis's cousin and I have met him on a couple of occasions when I was a child before his Olympic performance (robbery)
    Last edited by bigbabybuda; April 28, 2013 at 4:30 AM.

grammar Nazi
    Noun

Dobber Sports Icon

Timely thread, last Saturday I attended my first pro boxing match in, oh, about, 15 years. It was the Tyson Fury v Steve Cunningham tilt at MSG Theater, and it was GREAT fun, but relatively sparse attendance (and we had perfect seats even though we had bought the tix only 3 weeks prior). Boxing is definitely on a downward trend, probably primarily because of the emergence big time of MMA/UFC lately. The sport hasn't helped itself by the horrible officiating, corruption, etc. It's unfortunate though because it is indeed the "sweet science".

But I might now start paying a little more attention, I want to follow this Fury guy (mainly to see him get taken out by the Klitschko duo, if they give him a fight, but he's an entertainer and that's good fun), I like Steve Cunningham too although his career is coming to a close, and then there are these kids Curtis Stewart from Brooklyn and Karl Dargan (Dynamite) from Philly.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Pro

If boxing weren't so corrupt, it would have a bright future. Alas.

Can't really say who the best of all time was. Ali was exceptional for sure. I really liked Leonard, too. Can't really say Marciano's in the running...undefeated records (IMO) scream poor competition and show that the fighter was never thoroughly challenged. How a fighter recovers from a loss is a big thing to watch for.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin