Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4th Grade Science Quiz from a Creationist School

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default 4th Grade Science Quiz from a Creationist School

I don't know if it's real or not, but if it's real it's sad.

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2013/04/...st-school-pic/

I'm all about freedom of religion but to teach this in school is a bit ridiculous.
    H2H Daily 12 Team League, 7 Keepers
    Start 3C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 4D, 2G
    G, A, +/-, SOG, PPP, PIM, HIT, BLK, W, L, GAA, SV%, SHO

2014-15 Champion

C- Tavares, Krejci, Trocheck
    LW- Hall, Lee, Guentzel (C), Lucic, Skinner, Marchessault (C)
    RW- Lindholm (C), Radulov, Nylander (C), Arvidsson,
    D- Weber, Provorov, Klingberg, Hamilton
    G- Bishop, Lehner, Mrazek

Farm: Zacha, Bjork

Dobber Sports Icon

Is it fair to teach Evolution which they have for years?

Dobber Sports Padawan

You're gonna have to wait a couple of generations before the amount of people who believe in magical stories is a vast minority.

Until then, just accept that we live in a world where people would believe that the world was flat if it was written in a holy book.

People complain that science lacks many answers, but they never acknowledge when an answer is found.

There's no problem teaching religious tales. But if it's in a class that's anything other than a Bible/Tanach/Koran/etc class, it's not right imo. But hey, to each his own.
    5th Year 12 Team Dynasty H2H, Daily Starts
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits, PPP, SHP
    W, GAA, Sv%, Svs, SO

C: J.Spezza, A.Galchenyuk, E.Kuznetsov, M.Hanzal, V.Rask, S.Couturier
    LW: Z.Parise, M.Gaborik, T.Vanek, J.Skinner
    RW: C.Perry, J.Pavelski, P.Hornqvist, V.Nichushkin
    D: E.Karlsson, P.K Subban, J.Muzzin, R.Ristolainen
    G: R.Miller, S.Varlamov, D.Dubnyk

Prospects: Matthews, Kapanen, Vrana, Scherbak, Zadorov, Grubauer, Pickard, Aittokallio, Makarov, Reway, Guryanov, McCarron, Samsonov, Aho, Montour, Bowey

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    Not fair at all. I blame those damn scientists with their reason and logical thinking and stuff.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Abso-fu*king-lutely. Just because one theory is not 100.0% filled in yet does not make something that is 0.0% filled in correct. Special note- the term "theory" in science does not mean theory in the general, everyday sense... ffs logical thinking noobs.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Not fair at all. I blame those damn scientists with their reason and logical thinking and stuff.
    Those madmen must be stopped! Won't someone please think of the children?? If we tell them to start thinking instead of believing in an omniscient, magical force that we can't see, touch, feel or verify to any extent at all, they might start thinking logically and we CANNOT have that!!
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Star

Seriously? Evolution is an undisputed fact within the scientific community and academically, the level of support for evolution is essentially universal. According to Edward Larson, within the 480,000 life scientists (biology, anatomy, biochemistry, botany, etc) in the world, approximately 700 of them give credence to the doctrines of creation-science. That is 0.145 percent, or 1 in 686 scientists...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Wizard

These kids are going to be seriously screwed when they hit the real world of academics. This "school" is setting them up for failure.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Guru

Yes it's fair to teach scientific facts in school. It's exactly what they should be teaching.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Bnhershy View Post
    You're gonna have to wait a couple of generations before the amount of people who believe in magical stories is a vast minority.
    I don't know about that - religion has been around for millenia.

Have you ever seen "Jesus Camp"? Absolutely amazing, these people are nuts. Plus there's the good ol' Creation Museum, with more popping up. This stuff is more common than you'd think- its like a virus, as Dawkins has said.

I probably shouldn't post about this stuff before I'm done my first coffee but think about what a warped world view kids who are taught this are going to have.
    Last edited by PrairieDog; April 27, 2013 at 1:36 PM.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Genius

Wow, as someone who reads the bible, this is a terrible test. I wouldn't teach this. I'm someone who generally believes most of science is legit. I have some questions about macro-evolution, but micro-evolution, I find no issues with. I also would say that the book of Genesis might not necessarily be meant to be taken literally. As a scholar of the bible, there are many areas that come into question and that is why I use science, anthropology and many other things to decide what I think about many of these things. I honestly wouldn't see an issue with the Earth being 4.6 billion years old as we know that oral and written traditions are old, but we honestly, don't know exactly how old. To presume much, as a theologian, would be a bit much.

I don't know if I'm making sense right now, but I'm kind of shooting off the hip.

All I know is that this is a garbage test and even if I homeschooled my child, she'll get plenty of science that's legit and academically sound. This is pretty much crap. A dinosaur the size of a sheep? Well, which dinosaur? lol. Too many issues here. I hope this was a joke, but sadly, I wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by dongjohnson View Post
    Abso-fu*king-lutely. Just because one theory is not 100.0% filled in yet does not make something that is 0.0% filled in correct. Special note- the term "theory" in science does not mean theory in the general, everyday sense... ffs logical thinking noobs.
    The theory of evolution is as watertight and confirmed as the theory of gravity is.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Are you ****ing kidding me? Evolution is fact.

Wow. Just wow. Ignorance at its finest.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by tgraveline View Post
    Wow, as someone who reads the bible, this is a terrible test. I wouldn't teach this. I'm someone who generally believes most of science is legit. I have some questions about macro-evolution, but micro-evolution, I find no issues with. I also would say that the book of Genesis might not necessarily be meant to be taken literally. As a scholar of the bible, there are many areas that come into question and that is why I use science, anthropology and many other things to decide what I think about many of these things. I honestly wouldn't see an issue with the Earth being 4.6 billion years old as we know that oral and written traditions are old, but we honestly, don't know exactly how old. To presume much, as a theologian, would be a bit much.

I don't know if I'm making sense right now, but I'm kind of shooting off the hip.

All I know is that this is a garbage test and even if I homeschooled my child, she'll get plenty of science that's legit and academically sound. This is pretty much crap. A dinosaur the size of a sheep? Well, which dinosaur? lol. Too many issues here. I hope this was a joke, but sadly, I wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't.
    If you have questions about that, you should watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW9G2YVtBYc

I can't remember the exact timestamps that are the most relevant to you, but put it on and listen to it in the background and he'll get there eventually.

Macro-evolution is a fact just as much as micro-evolution is.
    GO WINGS!

Banned

if it's real, they're in Grade 4 so it's likely they know everything is wrong but are just writing the answers to get the grades.

let's not turn this site into an atheist forum please. (I HAVE NO SIDE IN THIS WAR)